main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Some people would say their slogan of "Everything's bigger in Texas" demonstrates that already.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Their also resurrecting their own version of the 'Bathroom Bill'

3. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Single I can sort of understand; it's a big responsibility and can be argued that if you're alone you may not be able to cope, but that depends on the person ultimately. One good parent is better than two rubbish ones. Gays is sheer malice of course, born from ignorance and likely a nonsense fear of 'contagion'. There's nothing about being gay that makes you unable to be a good parent. What really baffles me is the non-Christian part. What does that have to do with anything?

Obviously, I would think that any adoption process is heavily vetted and based on a case by case basis, with an assessment on the parents suitability (especially emotional and economic stability). Seems strange to allow outright refusal on things that are low down on the list of 'hmm, we probably shouldn't give this baby to this couple'.

4. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Just letting you know your avatar reads basically as "A woman's place is in the anakinfansince1983".

Which I am not disputing.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, it may be time to go back to the old Ventress avatar.

Which would involve removing the cat from my lap and going to my desktop.

PCCViking, Juliet316 and Ender Sai like this.
  9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    That would mean disillusioning the cat of its belief in its own superiority.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul and Utah Sen. Mike Lee are arguing the Senate parliamentarian — the nonpartisan referee who will decide how much of Obamacare can be repealed under budget reconciliation procedures — could be overruled by Vice President Mike Pence in his role as president of the Senate.

So basically ending the legislative filibuster without calling it that.

Other ways the Republicans are trying to change the rules of Congress:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/22/republicans-rewrite-congress-rules-agenda-238336

So now it doesn't just depend on Comey's word, since he asked the intelligence community to interfere in the FBI investigation and declare his innocence too.

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  12. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Trump tweet from the near future:

"Wow ! Just found out only 2 other Presidents have been Impeached ! Great honor! honour? onor? oh hell i can't spell. #MAGA !"

13. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Then how can supporting legal immigration make someone a racist???????

14. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005

And that neither one of them were removed from office. Another bonus.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No one said supporting legal immigration made a person a racist.

Concern about illegal immigration is not in and of itself racist, but some of the reasons behind it have been.

"All countries need to be able to keep track of who comes through their borders"--not racist. That's pretty much the given stance of every country in the world.

"People from south of the border are criminals/rapists"--racist and xenophobic.

"I don't like going to a store and hearing people speak Spanish"--xenophobic

"Those people are taking our jobs and our resources"--insinuation of laziness and shiftiness, therefore racist undertones.

16. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It remains to be seen whether Trump can make himself as unpopular as Congress, but there are viable obstruction of justice charges waiting for when and if that time ever comes.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Who said it does? I know AFS1983 has said several times that it doesn't. How many times do we have to go through this? (EDIT: Oh hey, AFS1983 just confirmed for the nth time.)

Of course, you don't support immigration of any kind, which is why you didn't care when legal immigrants were stranded in airports all over the world. In fact, you thought it was great and supported it. You were absolutely loving it, which is why myself and others don't take the distinction you sometimes make between legal and illegal immigration seriously; it betrays the difference between your words and your real feelings.

I would find it strange that you aren't more critical of Trump's laziness, considering that's one of your pet peeves, but forgiving Trump for anything and everything, including things you've pointed out as unforgivable, is typical for you.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    To add to what anakinfansince1983 has said, ire about illegal immigration, border security, and the like is primarily directed towards places where brown people come from. There's no talk, for example, about building a wall to keep out Canadians.

Therefore, going on about "illegal immigrants" carries with it a subtext of "keep them darkies out of my country!"

19. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Huh?? Why would you think I don't support legal immigration? I've said more than once part of the solution is to make legal immigration simpler. It's a bit curious that you would think I have feelings on the matter that I haven't voiced. That's not true.

How is Trump lazy??

I would suspect that the day when more illegals are coming from the northern border than the southern border the focus will shift.

STARBOB likes this.
  20. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Mr. Drain the Swamp is trying to block the govt ethics office from getting the names of all the people in the Trump administration who have obtained waivers for former lobbying work. Transparency and disclosure are the enemies of swamp draining apparently.

21. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    I think the focus would also shift if the flow of narcotics from Canada was greater than the southern border.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker and J-Rod like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And there we go. The assumption that if someone crosses from the Southern border, he or she must be bringing narcotics. Because there are no white drug dealers.

Your question as to why there is sometimes an accusation of racism in response to "concern" about undocumented immigrants has been answered.

Maybe...just maybe...try assuming that they are crossing the border because they know they can get hired for agricultural and other menial labor jobs (I once interpreted for a woman who worked in a seafood factory gutting fish) and can send money back to their families even at the horrendous wages they get paid here. And they aren't going through the process because if they had 700 dollars for the fee, they would not be picking apples or gutting fish.

Continue assuming drug dealing, etc. JUST because someone comes from south of the border and don't be surprised if someone questions whether you believe that the skin color or culture of people coming from there is somehow "inferior."

And that doesn't even begin to cover the fact that the "war on drugs" is stupid anyway. Every drug problem that cannot be solved by better treatment for addiction is caused by drugs being illegal in the first place, and enforcement disproportionately targets people of color.

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I literally just provided my reasoning in the comment you quoted. While LEGAL immigrants were stranded all over the world, you were supporting it in this forum. You said, "something is better than nothing", which again betrays your lack of care for the distinction between legal and illegal immigration. "Something", in this case, being legal immigrants getting banned and stranded along with the illegals and refugees. Conclusion: you didn't care about the distinction between legal and illegal immigrants, you were good with them all being banned, you supported it.

Despite claims of being energetic and hard working, when it comes to the real hard work of being POTUS, which is coming up with policies sophisticated enough to pass muster, instead he puts out one page plans and incompetent travel bans that get shot down in court.

Trump is like a kid who won't do the work required to write an essay or complete a decent science project, ie he's intellectually lazy.

There have been constant complaints, even from his own supporters in Washington, that Trump's proposals lack the effort required for complex matters, they've lacked attention to the necessary finer details. Trumpcare failed because Trump is lazy, and his travel bans failed because he is lazy. So far, his tax/infrastructure plans appear to be incredibly lazy, and Trump appears disinterested.

24. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    SO are you saying that drugs coming from Canada are just as much of a problem as from Mexico? I guess I just haven't read about the drug tunnels that are under the US/CANADA border. or the DEA is just racists for patrolling our southern border more heavily than our northern border.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You *might* want to read the paragraph I edited in at the last part of my post.

Again...the assumption that anyone is "more likely" or "likely" to be up to something nefarious simply based on nationality or skin color is racist or xenophobic.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.