main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's still a huge deal, to be charged with assault, have that on the record, showing it's not just hearsay or "investigation" or partisan (and especially to be plastered on the newspaper Election Morning and all).

He could still face up to 364 days in jail with it as a misdemeanor. Plus in addition to any fine, the reporter and newspaper will probably sue him for $10 million bucks or something.

It's good to not leap to felony too fast, it has permanent lifelong effects (banned from voting in most states, banned from many licenses/visas, banned from government services, banned from many jobs, banned from most apartments, etc.). Not that I don't think what he did was awful, but in my personal opinion, the grounds of becoming a felon should be much stricter than it is now (or the effects less severe/permanent, and have something higher than felony for when the effects should be more severe/permanent).

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Had the candidate been a Democrat...

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

lol. I'm not sure Montanans back that kind of behavior.

4. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Please tell me that is some kind of Forrest Gump stuff and not real. [face_laugh]

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yes, shane.

7. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Even if it's fake, I can't stop laughing! I'm dying! [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

8. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    C'mon baby, you know Big PaPa J loves soapboxing! [face_dancing]

I'm going to start out by saying that I believe in having a safety net. Because after this, that's the first thing that will get mischaracterized about my opinion. So the first thing I want to say is that a country is judged by how they treat their most vulnerable. That's one of the litany of reasons I'm against abortion. To reiterate: I believe in having a safety net.

Let's start with some plagiarism: I believe the best social program is a job.

I don't understand why I would have to pay for insurance services I couldn't use. That's baffling to me. I've read the Communist Manifesto and I don't agree with it.

Part of the reason health care is so expensive is because most people have insurance and a large chunk of those who don't, don't need or want it. So your average person who goes into a doctors office has, through insurance, the ability to pay any bill no matter how large. What do you think this does to the guys deciding how much should be charged for a particular service? They are doing the Montgomery Burn's "Excellent" and steepling their fingers.

And I've already went through why I believe insurance is so expensive.

Now let's look at Social Security: This month the government took $257.08 from me for my retirement. They also took the same amount from my employer in my name. $514 all together. and this has been going on since I was 13, as I have been employed since that tender age. (Started as one of those losers that gets picked on working the school cafeteria during lunch) Now certainly I wasn't making that much back then, but money has been taken from me and my employer for roughly 35 years.

Imagine if I had gotten that money put into an individual account for my retirement!!!!!! Life would be looking pretty sweet right now! Instead I'm hoping that the rumors of my company stripping the pension system for a lump sum aren't true!

Let's talk about auto insurance. Why is it mandatory? (Wanna know why it's so expensive??) There are people living paycheck to paycheck and they have to decide between food or driving legally. It's stupid. I can afford insurance. And even tho my car is paid off I have full coverage. Because I don't want to take chances. But that's my choice.

My step-son has a car that blue books for 1,300 bucks. Insuring it is a waste. One year of premiums is more than the car is worth. BTW, the money I have to spend on his health insurance is a waste because he has never used it. (He's 20) But I'm forced to pay it or else he will get fined...and guess who'd have to pay that fine? (He works part time for Fed Ex)

And let's talk about Social Security...why can you collect it if you are still working?? Either work and pay in or retire (making room for someone else) and collect. That's the original thought behind it.

So much for freedom, huh?

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    So Trump has vowed to have whoever leaked the British intel on the Manchester bomber prosecuted. Does this mean he'll prosecute himself for giving leaked intel to the Russians?

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    In the words of Nixon: "When the President does it, it's not illegal". That will be Trump's defense in a nutshell. Also, he was within his rights to disclose that info. It's more of how he did it and the timing that is the issue.

11. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Please. Looks like the people leaking the info aren't doing it because they "want to do what's right." All they want to do is hurt the president of the United States.

gezvader28 likes this.
  12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    j-rod, the reason health care is so expensive is because we have a for profit health care industry. also you're not required to insure your $1300 junker car. the auto insurance you're required to purchase is liability insurance for if you injure someone or damage someone else's property in an accident. there isn't a single state that requires you to have collision insurance on your own vehicle. i'm sort of baffled that you don't already know this.

13. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Not sure if it's different in the US, but car insurance is supposed to cover your payments to fix the other person's car, not just your own. That's why it's a legal requirement here in the UK. It's about personal responsibility. Because if you're without insurance, crash into someone, and can't pay for their repairs out of your own pocket, then the victim has to pay. Insurance is a necessary evil precisely because most people can't afford the large sums associated with autorepair, medical bills and building a new home. Never 'using it' isn't the point, it's a precautionary measure against, should something bad happen, bankruptcy or screwing someone else over. It's all based on what ifs.

If your stepson had another driver crash into him while out delivering for FedEx tomorrow, you'll be thankful that you had paid your premiums and an insurance company was paying the medical bill so that he could continue living his life.

Of course, if you had free healthcare then this would be something you wouldn't have to worry about...

14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

how do you know that

these leaks are revealing how unbelievably ill-prepared mr. trump is, and confirming that his level of discretion and judgment is not well-suited for his job.

were the leaks solely personal in nature, perhaps revealing that he and his wife never had sex, or that he's gained 30 pounds since taking the office, etc., i'd be a bit more sympathetic to the "they're out to get him" angle.

they're not.

15. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    I understand that. But it's still considered insurance on the car even tho it only covers damage cause by the car. Here's my point: if the other person is concerned about an injury, shouldn't they take it on themselves to be insured? And don't they already have health insurance because they have to? So what's the deal?
    How do I know that? Look, there's "whistle blower" leaks, and those have a purpose. And then there are leaks that are just to hurt someone. Going to the papers with information that hurts Britain's investigation only hurts someone. This leaker was trying to make Trump look bad by spilling info Trump would have on the terror investigation. That's why May was pissed off at Trump. The leaker succeeded.[/quote]

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It was funny to see Macron and some other PM/president exchanging looks when they noticed Trump was having a "Trump moment" during his NATO speech about how they're all cheap and trying to get out of paying everything they owe.

Oh and he apparently shoved the leader of the new NATO member, Montenegro, out of the way to get in front.

Ryan also said Gianforte did the unacceptable, and should apologize, but the voters will cast final judgment on him.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well the deal is if you are clearly at fault for injuring someone or damaging their property then you should pay for it. do you disagree?

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, what is this new madness?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  19. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Sure I agree with that. And there are people with judgments against them that they will never be able to repay. They will have nothing for the rest of their lives. They pay a price one way or another.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  22. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Well? Look. If you are worried you can get insurance. If not you roll the bones.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    but can you see j-rod that if you have a judgment against you that you can never pay you aren't the only one who suffers, but also the person who you put in the hospital? it's like you've almost grasped the point of insurance.

25. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    However the person injured also decided against insurance. He too is paying the price of his decision.

The point is this: Whether or not you have insurance (home, life, auto) is between you, any lending institution, your family and your God. It's no one else's business.

And for CT-867-5309, ironicly Dennis Prager was on Adam Carolla's podcast today and explained much of what I've been trying to get across. Give it a listen. It's fast, funny and (agree or disagree) you will have a better understanding of how I think. http://adamcarolla.com/dennis-prager-and-david-wild/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.