main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I know but still. Do people call him Cooch to his face?

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Protestors do all the time. They even come to his events with obscene costumes.

Juliet316 and Jedi_Dajuan like this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    He also has zero personality, like approaching Karen Santorum level. Couldn't fundraise worth a lick on his own, so he was very lucky to have some guys like Rubio who were willing to barnstorm with him. Odd to see that in the tea party- even though most of them have the crazy eyes, they do have personality.

Gotta stop sending these sacrificial lambs up to slaughter, GOP. The country is wise to the act now, and has become increasingly tired of it- there will be no second strike of 2010 lightning, no matter how many times Sarah Palin says "hockey mom" or Mark Levin and Glenn Beck warn us of the apocalypse in order to sell gold and food insurance. Outside of the dirty south, I don't see much future success for the fringe right, and it is time to get back in line with the moderates. And for the love of all things holy, never ever talk about another social issue again.

4. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    The problem is social issues is all they have now, the Democrats already occupy the center of the political spectrum for the majority of the issues.

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes the majority of the GOP members have terrifying expressions most of the time.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So, Chris Christie is off and running to the White House. Let's see:

Expanded corporate tax cuts, beat down teacher's union's, was successful at stopping the minimum wage from being raised but the vote in this election beat him, anti gay, "pro life"; sound slike another Bush/Romney/GOP bad guy.

Given his rather confrontational nature I am betting he has a "47%" moment. By that I mean there is going to be some kind of behind the scenes film footage he doe snot know exists showing him going off on people at the top of his lungs and possibly some kind of gay slur type of deal. Then nearly half the country will still vote for him but he'll fall short on votes.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    He won't make it that far, I'm convinced of it. Romney's vet of him will continue to surface (likely via Rand Paul, who hates him), and he's got a cush gig for the next 4 years, and then plenty of money as a consultant. Running for President would also kill him.

Rubio won't want to go up against Clinton either, and he should be reelected to his seat easily. My bet is that its Rand Paul, Cruz, and maybe someone like Sandoval as the center candidate. Not going to beat Clinton unless the climate changes drastically. And we all know Republicans don't believe in climate change. Zing!

That being said, I think the Republicans will get the Senate and keep the House. Too many weak incumbents coming up in 2014.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Unless of course the Tea Party faction in Congress pisses everybody off again by orchestrating another Government Shutdown/Drive us to Default mess.

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Mmm, I'd put my money on Christie getting the nomination. Even the Tea Party folks were willing to go with Romney over Santorum in the 2012 primaries. Not to mention that while Romney bent himself into a pretzel trying to be "severely conservative", Christie looks like he actually has a backbone--he's upfront about what he is and doesn't apologize for it. The Tea Party won't like it, but at the end of the day I think Christie will beat them into submission and they'll have no choice but to fall in line.

10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    lmao remember when mccain was a "maverick"? yeah. good times

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think Christie most closely resembles Giuliani in 2008. One big event spurred their reputation as a leader, and they both are seen as stand-up guys with some edge and not party conformists. With Christie, that is a myth. He's peaking 2 years before the Iowa caucuses, which will give anyone who wants to ample time to take him down. Christie also will not win Iowa (he's not a "severe" enough conservative) which puts him on the Giuliani track- looking to New Hampshire and Florida. That doesn't work anymore, as good ole Rudy, who was the presumptive nominee for quite some time, found out.

You could be right. This is just how I see it at this point.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Here's some good news. 204,000 new jobs were created in October (non-farm), despite the shutdown. Unemployment rose to 7.3%, but that takes many other things into account.

14. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    It is decent news giving the circumstances. But it is sad knowing UE rate would be a full point down if we didn't have such a useless congress.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Graham's just trying to posture for the primary- a fourth candidate jumped in the ring today for that race.

So I was standing in line at the grocery store, and the lady in front of me had multiple EBT transactions, which was causing some people toward the back of the line to grumble. The lady behind me struck up conversation, she was middle aged, and she asked about my work at the hospital (I had on my ID badge), and eventually we made our way to her work and life- looking at the lady in front of us, the lady behind me said that when she was young and pregnant, her child wouldn't have survived without government aid- her husband had passed away shortly following the birth, and she had not attended college. She then smiled as she told me about the homeless shelter that she and her daughter now ran together in downtown Charleston. Then she said that she feared that the aid programs were going to be cut down to nothing, and that a young child wouldn't have the same opportunities afforded to her daughter to live a fulfilling life.

Next time I hear some asinine rant from a talking head about "government leeches," I'll think of her. One of many reasons I can no longer identify with the present-day Republican party, who seek first to offend, instead of understanding.

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Limbaugh, Hannity, etc., are already attacking Christie. While Rand Paul and Ted Cruz attack each other. The 2016 primaries have already begun, and they already hate each other's guts.

But in other news...

The Whig Party has won its first election since the Civil War:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/07/robert-heshy-bucholz-whig_n_4234648.html

ENDA overwhelmingly passed the Senate:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/07/enda-vote_n_4228502.html

The Catholic Church is urging Boehner to at least allow a vote on Immigration Reform:
    http://news.yahoo.com/top-catholic-bishop-presses-house-immigration-221254802.html

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Bucholz told The Associated Press on Thursday that Whigs represent a sensible middle path between Democrats and Republicans.

I hate him already.

Also for stealing the Whig name since the party entirely collapsed-- in part over the issue of slavery. They were a "sensible middle ground" between the (dominated by pro-slavery Southerners) Democrats and (anti-slavery) Republicans back then, too. Gah.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So 60 minutes admitted their Benghazi story was false and apologized. I wonder now if Fox News will back off. I imagine not. And on that note if 2016 comes down to Hillary vs Christie I wonder if he'll try to bring it up.

On a side note, Lara Logan ha sbeen out to admit their mistake, and that they got fooled and so on. She is the one who was assaulted in Egypt, nice to see her going on and doing well aside from this Benghazi debacle.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Who are the other Democratic hopefuls besides Hilary?

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The only Democrat who would even be remotely viable, Hilary or no Hilary would be Biden.

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well there's Andrew Cuomo, Martin O'Malley, Kirsten Gillibrand, Amy Klobuchar, Brian Schweitzer, Howard Dean, John Hickenlooper, Mark Warner, Elizabeth Warren, and Deval Patrick. Though most of them have said they wouldn't run if Hillary does, and some have already endorsed Hillary.

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    OTOH, nobody had really thought much of Barrack H. Obama Jr. circa 2006.

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not entirely accurate, the media was mentioning him as a presidential possibility since 2004's speech.

The next Democratic Party presidential nominee is already in office. It's not someone who hasn't been elected yet. Obama was elected Senator 4 years before elected President, and even that was an abnormally quick rise.

25. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Hmph, moderate hero........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.