main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    What's the bigger problem of Trump now? Corruption or incompetence?

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Why can't it be both in equal measures?

V-2 likes this.
  3. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    World War Three. Guaranteed. Trump might not give a **** about NATO, but the Baltics are "ours", not "theirs", and an assault against them by Russia will be met with the military equivalent of an angry tweet (if for no other reason than to stroke his own ego).

I hope Putin is smart enough to realize that.

4. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Look at all of U.S. and world history and the law never applies equally to everyone. Indeed laws are often designed to target a marginalized group-- a religion, an ethnicity, the poor, political dissidents-- while letting rich pieces of **** like Kushner run wild; and the legal system is designed so that people and institutions with a lot of money are much more likely to receive little or no punishment.

6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005

JFK's womanizing wasn't well known by the general public and the press didn't report on what they knew about politicians or athlete's or actors for that matter.

7. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    You know, you say this so much you'd really save a lot of time if you included it as part of your signature. ;):p

8. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    Yes. And that is part of why this country is such a lie.

It is so frustrating seeing evil do nothing but win everywhere. Life is depressing.

9. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Someone, please, make sure that this man still lives long! (Bernie Sanders of course, not Mick Mulvaney :p )

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Sanders philosophy is probably the future of the Democrats.

Whether or not the US could function as a social democracy, remains to be seen.

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  12. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    sorry , I'm not really sure what you're referring to , what was leaked to the public exactly ? how did it take down Hilary ?

14. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
  15. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    gezvader28

Have you been living in a facebook bubble for the last year or two? Look up Fancy Bear, DNC hacks, and wikileaks.

16. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Per V-2, not sure how you missed this, given all the attention in 2016, but maybe I overestimate how much the general public paid attention to the details that the information security industry was focused on. Here's the rough Wikipedia summary of some of the key leaks:
    I'm not sure I would characterize them as "taking down" Hillary, per se, since there was no clear knockout blow, but the leaks definitely kept her off balance. They contributed to a reliable stream of negative attention flowing at her and the Democrats. Some people ended up conflating them with her Secretary of State email server shenanigans, too, though that was an entirely separate affair.

While much of the leaked content was innocuous, the leaking reinforced the image of Hillary as corrupt and shady, and forced her campaign to deflect and explain them. Plus the media ate the leaks up, giving them tons of coverage at the expense of other topics. Hillary ended up being defined by others, not herself. I don't believe the hacks were The Reason™ Clinton lost---there's plenty of blame to go around---but they were one factor among many.

17. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    oh I didn't miss all that , there was plenty of talk about it , but there seemed to be a lot of 'conclusions' based on all sorts of inference and assumption . And I reckon if you did a poll and asked the public what was leaked they wouldn't be able to say anything specific , .
    And then somehow the narrative is that Trump colluded with the Russians to take down Hilary and the vote was rigged somehow , its quite a leap . The public (I would assume) just kept hearing that the Russians hacked emails - I don't see how that lost her the presidency , and yet somehow this narrative is still peddled .

plus - it seems to me that this whole story would damage Trump's campaign more than Clinton's .
    And indeed thats what keeps happening . I mean I'm not the most avid reader of all this stuff I'll admit , but I have to say that it does seem like there's a narrative been established based on a lot of conjecture .

As I said before - hacking has always gone on , and I just don't see whats so special about this time , unless as wocky said they can prove that Trump was actively involved in spying or something for the Russians .

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Yes, it's a massive leap from him going on camera and openly inviting the Russians to hack Clinton to a narrative that he colluded with the Russians to take down Clinton. A gigantic leap. A YUGE leap.

19. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    And nobody ever claimed that the vote was rigged.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    C'mon, you know that's not true.

21. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    LOL! have to tip my hat to you there .
    But as you say - he did that on camera , if he is spying for the Russians not exactly the best play:p .

Thing is of course - the Russians don't need an invitation , they'll be doing whatever they can to find out what they can , it's nothing new .

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    One year from today, what do people here predict the major news headlines in the US/world to be?

23. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I agree about the degree of public knowledge, but that doesn't weaken my point. People knew about the leaks generally, and they probably linked the leaks with the other Clinton scandal du jour: her email server. The leaks were happening at the same time that the government was releasing Secretary of State emails, creating a large body of Clinton-related documents that dominated the headlines and enhancing the pre-existing perception of Clinton's corruption. (Only shady people have secret emails that they wouldn't want shared, right?)

As mentioned above, nobody with any credibility claims that the vote was rigged. It was a close election and Clinton lost. The Russians didn't hack the vote or anything of that nature. Their actions were indirect, albeit still impactful.

Also, the story did reflect badly on the Trump campaign... just not among his base. Recall, many of his supporters distrust the media, so if anything the stories had/have a perverse reverse psychological effect: "Hey, the press says Trump is doing something bad, so he must be doing something great!" Clinton was The Enemy, to be destroyed at all costs. And the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Please point to the numerous other times where a major American political party and presidential campaign has been hacked and their documents posted online. Even without foreign involvement, that would be a novel event.

--

Edit: I should be clear: I don't see Trump as a witting Russian agent or brainwashed Manchurian candidate. Rather, I'm more partial to the idea that Russia is taking advantage of a person who aligns with their world view. They know how to push his buttons and get the results they want. He probably sees them as natural allies based on his history in the private sector, plus his seeming fanboi love for autocrats.

Whether other people from Trump's campaign were in bed with the Russians... that's a different story. We'll see what Congress and the FBI turn up.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Some real-world equivalent of newspapers no longer reporting anything about Buford Tannen's crimes after he shot a newspaper editor for publishing a story he didn't like.

25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

President Pence celebrating Congress' reversal of Gay Marriage under some "Religious Protection" law. [face_sick]

CT1138 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.