main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    It doesn't matter what platform they run on or if they run center right or if they run an actual center left or left candidate...the Democrats are losing everywhere but the blue states and the cities. They're losing tomorrow in Georgia, they're gonna lose seats in 2018, and they are losing in 2020. And it won't matter if they completely ditched the center-right Clinton/Obama approach and went with a real left wing approach. They are losing from now on regardless.

America is an oligarchy and America is a one party state. Even the "Democrats" are nothing but center-right whores anyway.

And Tom Perez, like all Democrats, is a loser. He'll be fired as DNC chair after they lose seats in 2018.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

3. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    I expect a long post praising me and a full apology after the idiot Dems lose tomorrow,.

4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Is idiot Dems the new Libtard?

Sent from Hell--depending on whether or not it exists.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Will you post an optimistic one if the dems win tomorrow?

Jedi Merkurian and V-2 like this.
  6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    lol no.

thinking you're going overboard in your doom and gloom doesn't mean I think the dems are gonna win tomorrow.

7. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    Okay, we can wait until the 2018 midterms when they lose Senate seats and are flat in the House.

Unless I'm wrong, in which case I will eat crow.

No, because I want them to win, more or less. I just call them that because they seem to excel at failing.

I mean, they lost to a reality TV game show host.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You all should not be so fretful. Barack Obama will fix everything when he returns to power.

9. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    Yeah, just what I want, another center-right Conservative, even if he could come back.

I want the whole thing to collapse because it sucks.

10. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
  11. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I think a lot of that wasn't the Dems fault as much as it is the whole of America's fault. It doesn't seem to me like the average American cares for the ideals of the more progressive parties--especially if money is on the line. I think economic issues Trump social issues in the mind of the people here.

Where the "idiot Dems" fall into this puzzle is not running a good enough candidate or campaign to give the uneasy average voter something to rally behind, but ultimately I think the responsibility is on the People for our current president.

appleseed likes this.
  12. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    I certain agree with you there. We completely deserve Trump.

The Democrats would have a tough time winning in this backward country even with a great platform and fantastic candidates, much less the drivel they put out.

13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I thought American David Cameron had limits on the terms served?

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Pretty sure US Presidents can only serve two full terms, unless they come to power because the current President can't continue. (Example - LBJ taking over because of JFK's death). In that case, if they serve more than two years of that term they can only be re-elected once.

Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of President more than once..

Wiki 22nd Amendment to the US Constitution.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Also known as the FDR amendment.(FDR was elected to four terms)

16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, if Trump did win a second term and wanted a third, the only way that happens is repealing the Amendment- and doing so would allow Obama to run again. It would never happen because the states would smack it down. But it would be the only way Obama could ever run again - not that he actually would of course.

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh FFS you people. Nobody seriously expects Obama to return.

This is why America can't have nice things.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Darth Nerdling and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I'm glad we agree.

20. Axrendale

Axrendale Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2017
    The second dumbest amendment ever made to the Constitution, in my opinion.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know, I kind of understand why it came about. I think FDR was a good President but I can't imagine one that I didn't like and whose policies I vehemently disagreed with, getting elected to four terms and threatening to stack the Supreme Court.

And I say that as someone who would campaign for Obama again if he somehow were capable of running for a third term.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Axrendale

Jun 4, 2017
    Well, seeing as FDR not only threatened but actually *did* succeed in stacking the Supreme Court (something almost nobody remembers) and the country not only survived but benefitted from it, I don't see that as an argument for Presidential term limits.

I believe very strongly that the ballot box is the only protection American democracy should ever need against the sort of abuse the 22nd Amendment was supposedly enacted to guard against. And I think American history since the 1940s bears that out, pretty well.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Just out of curiosity, what is the dumbest amendment, in your opinion?

24. Axrendale

Jun 4, 2017
    The 18th amendment. No way that one was ever going to be anything but a disaster.

25. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Can some one tell me why politically Russia is the devil and China is not? Everything people say about Russia could be said about China, hacking into US government computers, human rights violations, threatening smaller neighboring countries. Is it because Trump is liked by Russia?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.