Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

1. appleseed Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    She knew there was a revolutionary movement, but she didn't know how extensive a movement it was or that it had any sort of chance.
  2. solojones Force Ghost

star 9
    I think there's a decent chance Kasich and maybe someone else will mount a primary challenge against Trump. But I also don't think it will be successful.

The only thing that could stop any of Trump's absurd reign (since his supporters simply don't believe objective truth exists) might be if the healthcare bill passes and winds up costing people with preexisting conditions their lives and money in droves (which it would).

There's *some* possibility that the very self-interested Republican base, particularly the new working-class bits brought in by Trump, will ultimately care more about their wallets and lives once it has personally affected them.

Even then, there's still every chance they will buy into his conman explanation for it, and blame it on Democrats entirely instead. I don't have much confidence in many of them to be able to analyze reality anymore.

I think there's every possibility that the Democrats won't have anyone to counter Trump in 2020. It may take the party absolutely falling apart and being reconstituted as something else, and the country coming into absolute ruin in a way that directly impacts voters in an undeniable way, before we'd ever see this group of Republicans out or power.

In other words... No, I don't think what happened with Nixon will happen here, no matter what they find. It ought to. But things in the political landscape have changed greatly since then. Mostly because it's now driven by radio and Fox News. The tail truly is wagging the dog. It's basically every horrible thing imagined by Network brought to life.
    Rew, appleseed and Darth Nerdling like this.
  3. Lord Vivec Force Ghost

star 8
    You've just slandered entire fields of epistemology, just wait til @Ramza gets here. :p
  4. appleseed Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Americans lack the morals and the courage to get rid of Trump, or to build a country worth anything. All Americans have succeeded at doing for decades now is killing people.

The problem for the world is, with America in decline and soon to no longer be the major country, that an even crueler and more immoral nation will take it's place-China.

There is no future. There is no hope.
    Last edited by appleseed, Jul 16, 2017
  5. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    Think about the various people throughout history that have been in bleaker positions and came out the other side. Because they fought. Because they didn't care about the odds. Because the alternative was intolerable.

Until there are nuclear missiles in flight overhead, there's a future. Like Thomas Paine once said, "Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
  6. appleseed Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Other countries in history did not have atomic weapons and an immoral populace that can be easily exploited. America does.
    Last edited by appleseed, Jul 16, 2017
  7. Juliet316 SFTC Bonanza Winner

star 9
    He's right. There's no hope. We should just go ahead and kill ourselves now and leave this miserable planet to the next race to **** up.
  8. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 10
  9. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 10
    Welcome to several pages ago, VLM. As a friendly tip, helps to post the news as it breaks, not a day later.
  10. Yodaminch Force Ghost

star 6
    The New York Times speculates McCain's surgery may be more serious than portrayed and he may be out longer than a week. They also have medical experts speculating that the clot might explain McCain's recent bizarre behavior (Comey hearing). Only time will tell on that, but if McCain is out longer than two weeks, is that good or bad for McConnell?

He'll never get Paul to back the bill and Collins seems pretty well dug in unless he allows hearings. So, it's not looking likely that the bill passes in August, even with the recess being cancelled. My concern is what Mitch might do with the extra time. He could shore up the rest of the GOP so that when McCain returns, the bill passes easily. Enough amendments like Cruz's might do that. Or he could hold a hearing or two and see if that satisfies Collins- I certainly hope it doesn't. While the extra time may give the opposition time to grow, it also gives Mitch more time to plan- which is never a good thing.
    Last edited by Yodaminch, Jul 17, 2017
  11. gezvader28 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    it's always tomorrow in Australia tho .
  12. grd4 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Appleseed: Your appraisal may be closer to the truth than most of ours, but I'd still recommend you nuzzle a puppy or something. And give him lots of kisses.

[IMG]
    Rew, Vaderize03, Juliet316 and 4 others like this.
  13. Rylo Ken Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/six-months-in-trump-is-historically-unpopular/

This Thursday, "Trump will conclude his first six months in office as the most unpopular president, at that point in his first term, since modern polling began."

Net approval at 6 months

Truman: +84
    Johnson: +65
    Kennedy: +58
    Eisenhower: +54
    GHW Bush: +49
    Nixon: +47
    Carter: +40
    Reagan: +28
    GW Bush: +19
    Obama: +19
    Clinton: 0
    Ford: -6
    Trump: -16

He is gunning for most unpopular president of all time against the likes of

Richard Nixon (Watergate!)
    Warren Harding (Teapot Dome Scandal!, Railroad strike!)
    Millard Filmore (Fugitive Slave Act!)
    Last edited by Rylo Ken, Jul 17, 2017
  14. Darth Nerdling Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    This just in. It's been revealed in this article that John McCain has had change of heart after his recent health crisis for which he has had the best treatment in the world at the Mayo Clinic paid for by his government provided health insurance. He now realizes that taking away health coverage from the most economically insecure Americans is fundamentally wrong and the government does have a role in healthcare.

Naw, just kidding. He'll vote for it.
    Last edited by Darth Nerdling, Jul 17, 2017
    unicorn, Yodaminch and Rylo Ken like this.
  15. Jedi Merkurian ST Thread Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    In my social circle, "stans" are fans who go too far in their devotion; Ex: "Batstans." The term refers to the song from Eminem with the same name.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  16. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    Ford is only on that list because of the pardon he gave Nixon. Take that away and he almost certainly would have been far higher.
    Kiki-Gonn, Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  17. SuperWatto Manager Emeritus

star 6

It's been used here in Carl Barks translations since the 1950s

[IMG]

Last year, the word was chosen by Donald Duck magazine readers as the funniest word in the magazine.
    Last edited by SuperWatto, Jul 17, 2017
    Darth_Voider, appleseed and TCF-1138 like this.
  18. Juliet316 SFTC Bonanza Winner

star 9

Wonder how many people clicked on the link without checking it first?[face_thinking]
    Darth Nerdling likes this.
  19. Yoda's_Roomate Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  20. Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    BOOM!

Sorry Mitchie, you just haven't screwed people hard enough with the current legislation. You'll need to add barbs and hooks to the stinger before the hard right will bite.
    Darth Nerdling and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Why isn't there a provision for disemboweling drug addicts in public squares? This bill sucks!
  22. Game3525 Jedi Master

star 4
    GOP really should have taking Boehner's advice when it comes to the ACA. It was always going to be hard politically to repeal it after Obama was reelected in 2012.
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. Yodaminch Force Ghost

star 6
    We should not neglect that fact that, with the exception of Collins, these defections are because the bill does not go far enough in eliminating Obamacare provisions. It's not like they actually like those parts of Obamacare. And there lies the danger. The next bill could be worse.
  24. anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Four Realms

Manager
    star 9
    The last bill failed because it wasn't terrible enough, so...yeah.
    Vaderize03, Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Game3525 Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe.

But I am starting to think the R's who deflected tonight are pushing the bill to go to the right as cover.
    Darth Nerdling likes this.
  26. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 6
    When I'm stuck with a day that's gray and lonely, I just stick out my chin and grin and say, "the sun'll come out tomorrow". So ya gotta hang on til tomorrow, come what may.

If you take my advice for what it's worth, you could be happy here on Earth.
    Vaderize03, V-2, starfish and 3 others like this.