main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I still want to know what all this "dirt" is that everyone is "providing" without actually providing. From my standpoint, there should be a dirt hill to the moon based on all dirt promised, but I see nothing (nothing not previously known and certainly a lot of what is known is not exactly "dirt" IMHO).

gezvader28 likes this.
  2. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not either, and I wish the Clintons would just fade into irrelevance at this point.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm not one to cry out "Fake News" but are we sure this is actually a legit article? I know it's Yahoo, but things feel off about this story.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    They can't, they're an essential distraction / smokescreen to deflect attention away from Trump so if I was being cynical, nope, they're not disappearing - they might try to, but Republican Whoever will invoke the name as a look-over-there tactic again and again.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    My problem with this article is the note found that says "NO FOUL PLAY WHATSOEVER" is the most Trump thing ever.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    This.

You just demonstrated why the left cannot be taken seriously. And why political correctness is doomed to failure from the left. On one side we are told that we can't criticize Hillary or Warren based on looks because that's sexist. Then you go ahead and criticize Trump based on those same qualities. You pretend moral outrage when your guys are attacked then attack using the same tactics you just railed against.

The left has become the world's most unfunny joke.

Another example? Criticizing Soros is anti-semetic. But Kushner is fair game.

This is why the 2018 and 2020 elections will continue to reject Democrats.

Oh, wait. That happened because I'm a racist.

Stay clueless.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    So why do you support Kid Rock?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Well I can't vote in Michigan, so it doesn't matter. But I would be liable to support anyone who is conservative and not a politician. Pat Sayjack. James Woods. Ect. And why not? People want Clooney or Bauldwin to run. Why would it be so out of the question for famous conservatives to run?

10. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    James Woods!

really?

People want Clooney and Baldwin to run as they appear to be compassionate and have the good of all at heart

James Woods is just a horrible person from what I've read of him

Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    as long as Jerry Lewis is the vice-president I'll be happy

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's not out of the question, for someone who has a platform, intelligence, maturity, and respect for the concept of public service.

I'd support Mark Zuckerberg running.

13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes, but someone like Zuckerberg is smart enough to stay away from politics.

Yoda's_Roomate and Juliet316 like this.
  14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    A Trump supporter is trying to tell people what is clueless? Seems off from my perspective. The facts are there man.

15. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    See? What you are missing is perspective. From Your perspective Woods is an ass and Baldwin is a genius. I understand that.

What you don't understand is this:
    Listen to Woods or Kid Rock. Notice how they make you feel. Notice what you think about them.

Now understand:
    That's exactly how I feel when I hear Baldwin or Clooney talk their politics.

From you're perspective, I would imagine, anyone who doesn't like to hear your guys obviously doesn't like people who understand how real people should think. The people who don't like hearing from Clooney or DeVito only want to hear things from a narrow point of view.

You can't seem to understand that many people think the exact same thing when they hear people insult James Woods or Pat Sayjack.

And from your perspective, I bet you thought Hillary was a shoe in. Your perspective is wrong. :) That fact is there. Trump is the US president and I knew all along that's how it would turn out.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think that criticism of Trump's weight while similar criticism directed towards Clinton or Warren would be considered sexist, is a fair point. (Although his comment about "exercising drains batteries and is therefore bad" is so monumentally stupid that anyone of any gender should be called on it.)

But I also think that if either Clinton or Warren got a bad spray tan, calling them "orange" would be no different than calling Trump "orange."

As far as the criticism of Soros, it depends on the reason and whether the criticism is based on a bad Jewish stereotype typically used by anti-Semites. That's why the idea that Soros is trying to control or is controlling major financial institutions and media outlets is considered anti-Semitic. Bannon accusing Kushner of trying to "shiv" him? Definitely anti-Semitic. I have not heard of any other such comments directed at Kushner though.

In the 90s, comments about Clinton's "cankles" were rightfully considered sexist because men do not get comments directed specifically at heavy limbs and Bill was heavier than Hillary at the time but got no such comments. Whether a comment about appearance is sexist depends on whether it is based on the idea that it is OK to judge women's appearances differently than men's appearances. Otherwise it's just a comment about appearance, not a sexist comment.

Racism, homophobia, anti-Semitism...same. Is the comment based on judging a race, religion, or sexual orientation by different standards? Is the comment based on stereotypes of a race, religion, or sexual orientation? If so, the comment is racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic.

17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    currently Presidenting at the golf course.

so much winning

darth-sinister likes this.
  18. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I get the point of perspective, don't get me wrong. Echo chamber and all that.

I know nothing of Kid Rock so can't comment but as far as I can tell I've never heard Clooney or Baldwin talk politics as such but I have heard them speak and typically what I hear is people who don't want the disabled or "different" be treated any differently to anybody else ("Normal" people as some would put it)

The last thing I read from Woods was him passing scorn and derision on a family who let their son dress how he wanted and at gay pride day it was a dress and rainbow make up (iirc). That is not something that appears to come from a Clooney or a Baldwin but does come from the types of people you want to be in charge.

Clooney and Baldwin appear to be open minded and welcoming

Trump, Woods et al are not.

And yes again, I get echo chamber. I get that people saying things that I agree with will resonate better with me, but the like of Trump and Woods just spew bile, I can see no positives in the majority of what they say.

From a UK perspective, I typically lean Lib Dems or Labour with very little leaning towards the Conservative party. Here I will disagree with a lot of what the Tories say BUT the critical thing here is that I still get where their coming from, there is no inherent nastiness or bile, just a differing in opinions in how to get there.

I don't feel queasy reading something by a Tory supporter. I read something by Trump or similar and typically I just feel an immense sadness that you have such an ignorant vile narrow minded person in charge of your nation.

I know you've had a hard upbringing but you continually strike me a someone with some compassion and a modicum of intelligence but when it comes to Trump and your general politics you are massively blinkered. You would never vote Democrat under any circumstances from what I can see; whereas I would vote Tory if the policies they put forwards were ones I could support.

Vaderize03, Juliet316 and TCF-1138 like this.
  19. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    All I wanted to do was make you think a bit outside your box. :)
    I'd vote for a Democrat in a heart beat if he supported boarder enforcement, lower taxes for everyone, free market health care, traditional marriage, law enforcement, ect. ;) Find me that guy (or gal) and I'll put the sign in my yard today!

And of course I have compassion. It's a hallmark of a conservative. I know guys like Ender Sai love to say we are selfish, given our anti tax and spend base, but millions of studies show just the opposite. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/giving-back-_n_3781505.html And as a center-right nation, we are consistantly at the top of charitable giving. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Giving_Index

It's easy to mistake my views as lacking of compassion. But t hat's not their origin. I honestly believe that people from all backgrounds would be happier or more satisfied if the policies I support were successful.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Border enforcement": It depends on how it's done. The concept itself is not bad, the implementation can be, especially if no one is looking into why people cross over in the first place or assumes they cross over for nefarious reasons.

"Lower taxes for everyone": I like the idea until schools, libraries, public transit, roads, and other programs need funding and we're told that there is no money.

"Free market health care": With everyone being provided a supplement to purchase it, absolutely.

"Traditional marriage": Nope. At best it's an attempt to shove people into bad gender role stereotypes, at worst, it's homophobic. "Everyone" would not be happier or more satisfied. Same-sex couples would not. Hell, I would not, and I'm straight. I don't want to be told that I "need to" comply with some "traditional" view of what a woman "should" be.

Letting individual religious institutions set whatever restrictions they want regarding who can marry within their walls, sure. Getting the government out of marriage altogether, having it just provide the simplified legal contract to any two people who want it, sure. But government dictating that only dudebro men and sweet demure women constitute a "couple"? Hell no. That is absolutely a lack of compassion.

"Law enforcement": Yes, support them; provide them better training on de-escalation; provide them the same diversity training I get working in the schools, give them better methods of scouting out criminals than racial profiling. Don't insult the good cops (i.e. Most of them) by saying that "Shooting unarmed people with no criminal record is wrong" indicates a lack of support of law enforcement.

21. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    if you want to see who won't let the Clinton's go head on over to chelsea's twitter page , scroll down just a bit, and see what was said about her and her mother on Fox last night

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Playboy President and women's health

LOL @ Teresa Manning. If birth control didn't work, I would have had kids a lot earlier than my mid-30s. And I know I'm not alone there.

And while I respect the stance of being anti-abortion and pro-contraception...anyone who is both anti-abortion and anti-contraception can stop pretending their concern is for anything other than controlling women's sexual choices.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why is "free market healthcare" a value? Why is making the world fit into your ideological framework more important than helping people?

I don't care how healthy care is structured, so long as sick people get help to get better and live their lives to the fullest. If that's a full communist system administered by a resurrected Karl Marx as Secretary of HHS, fine. If it's the Pope praying for everyone, that's great too. If you can make it work with a private enterprise system so hardcore even Ayn Rand calls it harsh, I'm all onboard.

Millions of people are suffering. I'd rather not sacrifice their livelihoods for the sake of being right about some dumb argument. We have ways to project the likely outcomes of these plans. Show us a model that gets to the goal of universal coverage, and then we can talk.

poor yorick and DANNASUK like this.
  24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    When it comes to health care, those who cannot afford it should be subsides by the government. It is a moral duty to ensure people don't die because they're denied access to basic health care. It is a human right and should be mandatory for any decent, moral country.

A government doesn't descend into communism, if it grants the poorest free health care.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Medicaid (for now) and Medicare already grant the poorest "free" healthcare. Stopping at the poorest doesn't work; it helps result in healthcare costs taking up a much larger and faster-growing share of the economy than it would if we had universal single-payer with the power to negotiate prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.