main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    One thing that I think most conservatives (certainly those folks like J-Rod) don't think anything about is the amount of innovation and entrepreneurship that simply doesn't happen (or is greatly reduced) because so many people can't take chances due to healthcare reasons. Now, given the modern conservative appreciation for monopolies, corporations, and the preservation of the status quo in the United States, this may well be seen as a positive byproduct.

Countless people are chained to jobs and places they don't like because they can't afford to give up their insurance.

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    This is a good point. The fact that it's couched in generalisations is a shame, so I tried to quote it separately. Didn't fully succeed, because of the oblique use of "you" and "your". But the essence is true: it's hypocritical to criticize Trump's insults while insulting him.

I know it's very tempting. I do it myself all the time. But I wouldn't do it if I ran for office, or any public position. And I guess that goes for a lot of people. Not for Trump, so he can still be criticized for it. However, it's a good point that those critics should practice what they preach.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He is an orange baboon. I'm not going to lie about it. It isn't sexist or racist. Trump calling Warren "Pocahontas" is both.

Just like Trump is.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, it's fine to be against making fun of Trump's appearance, but it's not the same as what female public figures endure-- not just HRC and Warren but those Democrats hate such as Palin and Kellyanne Conway.

Jedi Merkurian , J-Rod, Rew and 2 others like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, "Caribou Barbie" is pretty bad.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I will happy take the mickey out of someone who has chosen to change their appearance as a result of a want

I won't take the mickey out of someone as a result of an appearance they were born with, a personal trait they were born with or a change in appearance they have chosen to undertake as a result of a need (this list is not exhaustive)

Male or female who are orange as a result of far too much tanning agent can both be mocked equally.

Mockery of someone for being gay, female, transgendered, disabled is just wrong.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Please stop using Hillary to excuse Trump.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I could mock Trump for his tan, but I don't think I ever have because it's superficial, I actually don't give a ****. I'd much rather mock his incompetence and talk about how harmful his behavior and policies are. Do you think I care about his ******* tan or his ******* hair while he's destroying the country?

J-Rod, despite the many discussions he's been involved with here about the subjects, still has no clue what sexism or racism are, but for once in his life he has a small, ignorantly delivered point here.

Don't mock Trump for his appearance, because that's petty and superficial, and it's what petty and superficial people do. It doesn't become not crappy because Trump is a crappy person himself.

And Baldwin? Alec ******* Baldwin? Look, I think he's hilarious, but the guy has a history of awful, wholly homophobic rants. He shouldn't be receiving support for public office from liberals.

9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Edit: why did that post twice

And yes I do agree mocking Trump for his appearance is petty. It's just stooping to his level and I believe the majority of Americans are better than that.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Because the boards are having a mid - life crisis.

11. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So it's really his defense fund and not his re-election fund that he's been holding fundraisers for?

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Let's be honest, his supporters will probably applaud this and donate more.

The law means nothing to them.

Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Drinking game based on responses from some of his base:

--"He's not a politician." Take a drink.

--"But [insert something one of the Clintons did]". Take two drinks.

--"The media is just out to get Trump." Drink the entire bottle.

Vaderize03, Juliet316, Rew and 2 others like this.
  15. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    anakinfansince1983 Drinking games are supposed to be fun ways to get wasted, not a miserable crash course to the ER for a stomach pumping.

16. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Stomach pumping? With that drinking game you'd have embalmed yourself and be waiting for the coffin within five minutes.

17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    A serious question-- what's the incentive for a strong Trump supporter to change their views? I'm not sure people give enough thought to the cognitive dissonance that would be created, or the feeling of wasted time, money, and energy.

If it wasn't HRC, it would be (and frequently is) someone else. There's a variety of strong incentives to justify what's happened to date and to blame others.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Your charity giving is to churches and alma maters, J-Rod. It's hardly commendable.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Mine goes to Planned Parenthood, the Human Rights Commission and the Humane Society. [face_whistling]

I doubt many conservatives want to cite my charitable giving.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    ok but that's kind of not the point. American conservatives like to pat themselves on the back with how much they "donate to charity", and like with capitalism, liberalism, the English language, entrees as main courses and basic common sense it just doesn't mean the same thing in the US. Giving millions back to Harvard for example is not the kind of thing that makes you a good person, nor does giving your church everything you can.

22. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I don't think it's possible.

Look at J-Rod's posts--he not only attacks 'the left', but he criticizes liberal positions as against those of "real" Americans. In other words, he sees those not like him as "fake", ie illegitimate. While that's a simplistic answer to a complex problem, it really is the heart of the whole mess. Those who attended college or higher, who live in the cities, who don't work in union-associated vocations are 'elitist', 'snobby', and 'out of touch' with "real" America. They act "entitled" to impose their socially-liberal views on the rest of the nation and consider arguments against their positions as racist, sexist, etc. There can be no reasoning with that viewpoint as the two sides don't even speak the same language. It's like asking someone what blue smells like--a color doesn't have a smell (unless you're suffering from synesthesia, and for arguments' sake we'll assume you're not).

The left also does this, but to a much lesser extent. What conservatives see as 'preservation' or 'restoration', liberals see as imposing an outdated series of viewpoints on a majority who doesn't want them. Take abortion and gay marriage as examples; if two men get married in Connecticut, it has no effect whatsoever on churchgoers in Kansas, but said churchgoers don't see it that way. Same with a 19-year college student who is six weeks pregnant taking mifepristone and misoprostol to induce an abortion. It's no-one else's business, unless you believe that the existence of behavior that offends your worldview and sense of mental and emotional stability makes everything your business. That's where the average American Trump supporter is--it's not about them, it's about the 'Other', and what they are doing.

If the Other has same-sex marriage, then conservatives are diminished. If the 'Other's' females can have sex without fear of procreation, then their control, and sense of self, is threatened. If a mentally-ill terrorist can't get a gun, we're one step away from confiscation, because the 2nd-Amendment is more absolute than the laws of physics (which aren't really real since G-d can change them anyway).

I've come to the sad conclusion that there truly is no reasoning with hardcore Trump supporters. They see what they want to see, believe what they want to believe. Ironically, that makes them more effective disciples of quantum mechanics than the most hardcore physicists on the planet (vis-a-vis 'you create your own reality'), but it also makes the forcefield around their echo chamber impossible to break. At this point, I don't think it's realistic to win over Trump voters, and I no longer believe we should try. If you think that Muslim bans are okay, that sexual orientation is a choice, that arming the entire population of the United States will reduce crime, that putting sex and gays back in the box will lead the nation to safety, security, and prosperity, that science and facts are optional at best, equal to opinions at worst, that climate change will only be real when Republicans say it is, then we have absolutely nothing in common and should go our separate ways. At the very least, I will make sure I try and mobilize everyone who thinks like me to go out and vote in every election they can to nullify and override the 'red' votes.

And I say this believing that J-Rod is one of the more reasonable conservatives out there. Most Trump voters are too steeped in what KW correctly calls 'grievance politics' to objectively look at what the elected officials they supported last fall are trying to do to them. By the time they figure it out, it will be too late--and they'll still blame Democrats for their problems.

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I think I should stick to the physics analogies :p

Vaderize03 likes this.
  24. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    well it really goes back to how Republicans do better in off year elections and how well they do in talk radio , and Fox. That side is engaged. I think part of it is an age thing.
    When i was growing up, i never saw either side as 'the enemy'. It's sad this is what it's become. There's a complete irrational on the Right . Bush and Clinton spoke together a couple days ago and Bush posted it on his facebook page. There were all kinds of negative comments about how could Bush possibly pal around with Clinton, how Clinton is a pervert , etc. these same people are Trumpers. mr 'grab em by the...'
    I mean they're so irrational they'll hit Bush and other Republicans for saying they didn't vote for Trump, while at the same time all the slurs he hurled at them are supposed to be forgiven and forgotten.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I agree and I also think this is why the country needs to split up. Let NY and CA be more like Western Democracies and let TX and NC be like Russia or one of the -Stans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.