main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Can you believe this? It looks like Jeff Sessions wasn't being entirely truthful:

Hi Bob.

(note: of course he wasn't being truthful)

V-2 likes this.
  2. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    Exclusive: Moscow lawyer who met Trump Jr. had Russian spy agency as client

3. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    This might actually be good for Trump. If Sessions resigns, Trump can appoint a puppet for AG who will immediately fire Mueller and won't have to depend on Rosenstein to do it.

4. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    ...which would immediately spark a Constitutional crisis. If Congress didn't instantly reinstate Mueller, the country would grind to a halt. That truly would be the last straw, second only to Trump pardoning himself.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Congress is run by the GOP. They won't do crap if Mueller is fired. When questioned about it today, their responses were "I'm not going to answer a hypothetical". Meaning "If it happens, I won't do anything about it". They'll say they're "troubled", then go back to their tax cuts.

Also, giving the timing I'm guessing Trump leaked this himself.

Rew and V-2 like this.
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I keep proving you wrong and you ignore it. Nobody is fooled.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  8. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    The J-Rod's of the world only become dangerous when they stand for political office. The buffoonery and incompetence of Trump and his minions is merely the thin outer shell of the real catastrophe which is that the bar is now set so low for high political office that complete idiots can realistically aspire to positions of great influence and achieve an immediate rapport with a growing population of idiots. Idiocy is the new political currency.

J-Rod. You are entitled to your views and I think we all appreciate your participation in these forums and how about leaving it at that, mmmmkay?

unicorn and KnightWriter like this.
  9. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    The Democrats in the Senate could all walk out. Governors could suspend cooperation with Washington. Corporations could boycott. I agree nothing that drastic is likely to happen, but it could happen. Trump immunizing himself would the equivalent of declaring himself dictator. It may not come from Congress, but there would be *some* reaction.

10. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

I'd give props to the Dems if they walked out. But if they don't control Congress, how much power do they really have? Congress is the only one to act as a check and balance on the President, and if they do nothing after Mueller is fired, then the Russian investigation ends there and Trump never faces any consequences for likely obstructing justice and/or possibly colluding with Russia.

One thing I do think would happen if Mueller was fired would be a TON of leaks coming out from the team of lawyers investigating. Mueller's running a watertight ship right now, but if he was fired the leaks would be insane. I wouldn't be surprised if they already have dug up some highly incriminating stuff.

I'd also hope we'd see massive protests in the streets, similar to when the Muslim ban was implemented.

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Whoa Minneapolis press conference got interrupted live. I haven't seen anything that crazy in quite awhile. I'm usually on top of the issues that sparked things like this and yet this is the 1st time I'm hearing about a young woman being killed by police up there.

12. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Just Thought I would share this photo of Keith Hernandez, O.J. and Trump,
    [​IMG]

13. Hef

Hef Jedi Master star 3

Jan 30, 2005

I think this is mostly objectively true.

J-Rod likes this.
  14. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Does Spicer at least get to stay on as the Easter Bunny?

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  15. Yoda's_Roomate

Feb 8, 2000
    God I love this.

heels1785 and JEDI-RISING like this.
  16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

To play the Devil's advocate in this highly unlikely scenario, it would have serious economic consequences because the political system would close shut. Around the world, numerous President's and Prime Minister's have attempted to immune themselves from investigation/prosecutions, it usually ends in mass protests and riots.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    To play the Devil's advocate in this highly unlikely scenario, it would have serious economic consequences because the political system would close shut. Around the world, numerous President's and Prime Minister's have attempted to immune themselves from investigation/prosecutions, it usually ends in mass protests and riots.

That's my point. It would take something like the scenario you described to get Congress to act. Don't want to see it happen, but it may need to.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i love the video because everyone on Fox had yet to get the pro-trump memo yet.
    also in the last 2 years Scaramucci has fallen in LOVE with Trump.

proving yet again the word love is the most overused word.
    also it's the weekend so you guessed it: many, many tweets

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes, but in that scenario, it occurred in countries whose population remember what political life was like under a non-democratic government. The United States has not experienced anything like this and, most likely, the average American is unwilling to act.

The "it cannot possibly happen to us" scenario.

It is why the United States has a broken political system and a 18th Century constitution, which is incompatible with the modern world. Everyone thinks it is perfect and nothing needs changing. It Trump was able to pardon himself, I doubt the majority of Americans would care.

Rew, Juliet316, TCF-1138 and 2 others like this.
  20. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    It is why the United States has a broken political system and a 18th Century constitution, which is incompatible with the modern world. Everyone thinks it is perfect and nothing needs changing. It Trump was able to pardon himself, I doubt the majority of Americans would care.

I disagree. His base wouldn't care, but everyone else who remotely gives a **** would. And that's enough people to create a problem.

V-2, Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Sarah Kendzior has put forward the view on twitter that Russia itself is behind the leak of Sessions and his conversations last year because they want the Mueller investigation gone. As she said, Trump doesn't need something like that to fire Sessions and probably doesn't want to do that.

https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/status/888795937358979072

On a different but related note, I think one of the unknowns in all this is how former officials (with five of them in particular) would respond to Trump attempting to pardon multiple people/everyone/himself and/or firing Mueller. If Congress did nothing, it would (as I've said before) certify his lawlessness and leave the country with no alternative for the time being. To some degree, what many Republicans in Congress need is cover. Statements (or a single statement) from former presidents and other high-level former officials could provide that.

22. Yoda's_Roomate

Feb 8, 2000
    Loved the Twitter rant this morning. The guy truly needs to be locked up in a padded cell.

23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

As I've said before, based on Trump's current actions, any other country would've been out on the streets by now.

Rew, Artoo-Dion and appleseed like this.
  24. Yoda's_Roomate

Feb 8, 2000
  25. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    As I've said before, based on Trump's current actions, any other country would've been out on the streets by now.

America is slow in this regard (and many others). It takes awhile to shake our complacency, but it can and does happen. And it's ugly once it arrives.

Trump is not immune to this. He can push it too far.

Juliet316 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.