main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL no. The yet-to-be-formed party that believes in a strong social safety net and elimination of corporatism, but allowance for innovation that will allow us to make something here that we can export.

Rew, Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    We need Barack Obama.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Indeed, we're talking about a faction where "you're not doing everything we want" = "you're being divisive"

4. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    This country cannot be saved because the people of it do not want a better, more humane and more compassionate country. Americans are cruel by nature.

5. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Dude, can you just not anymore?

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But we already have a superficially charismatic right-winger in the White House who assails freedom of the press, deports mass numbers of migrants and gets the U.S. needlessly bogged down in foreign conflicts. :confused:

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    All of humanity is cruel. I don't believe in this sort of American exceptionalism either.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't understand why we're compelled to ascribe a single characteristic to 320,000,000 or 7,500,000,000 individuals regardless.

9. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    Where am I wrong? Where are the people of this country demonstrating any level of desire to make a more decent and humane country? Look at how irresponsible we are. Look at who we put in charge of the most insane arsenal the world has ever seen. America is just as crazy as it's President. We're a danger to ourselves and the world.

V-2 and Yoda's_Roomate like this.
  10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Appleseed: Seriously, Have some hope. If not in the process, then in the people. We've literally faced worse than this. It's depressing, but giving up only ensures this continues.

[​IMG]

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Yes but has this person filled his weekly quota of Yemeni wedding drone strikes?

No.

#MAGA [face_flag]

appleseed likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    appleseed : We didn't all vote for Trump. In fact many of us didn't, and have opposed his agenda in as many ways as we know how, including marching and communicating with our representatives.

The constant doom-and-gloom and attributing responsibility for Trump to every single American is getting old.

13. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Yes, we should at least exempt Darth Nerdling from blame for Trump's election. He's earned his ability to tell his children he did everything he could to stop his presidency. ;)

14. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

I could've got more votes... I could've got more. If I had spent less time on these boards... I threw away so much time here, you have no idea... I didn't do enough... I didn't do enough...

I could've gotten one more vote, and I didn't... :_|

(Now where's my group hug!? :p)

Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    They are the Americans who voted against Trump and still oppose his policy, behavior and administration. Seriously, we're not perfect (far from it), but you cannot expect anyone to take you seriously when you attribute Donald Trump's characteristics to an entire nation when there was a massive controversy surrounding the circumstances of him being elected. I mean, I know that you think being the model for political consciousness in a time like this is to be flippantly nihilistic about anything and everything without offering anything of actual substance to the conversation but it really proves not to be the case whenever the eyesores you consider as legitimate posts clog up this and every other political thread.

16. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    Just in from the Washington Post:

The Senate rejects making major changes to the Affordable Care Act.

Just hours after opening debate, Senate Republican leaders failed to pass a bill that they spent weeks crafting but never gained sufficient traction with the rank-and-file.

Fifty-seven senators opposed the measure known as the Better Care Reconciliation Act (BCRA), while 43 supported it, portending a difficult road ahead for the GOP rollback effort.

17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    If you're not seeing them, it's because you refuse to. Moreover, I'm fairly certain that any concrete examples I provide will be met with any number of variations on "yeah, but..." And as been observed, your posting style can be best described as
    appleseed I say this with all earnestness and care for your well-being: Please, get some professional help. If you already are, please continue to do so. [face_peace]

18. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    You'll never guess who voted in favor of the BCRA. Why, is that John McCain's name I see there? I thought he was some kind of hero maverick.

19. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    What?

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He was borrowing your description of appleseed's posting style; the entire post was directed at appleseed.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    OK, that makes sense, then. :D

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Edited post for clarity

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  24. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    I do. You should see me when I am off my meds.

25. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    It seems BRCA repealed too much of the ACA for Collins, Graham, Heller, Murkowski to accept it, and it didn't go far enough in repealing the ACA for Corker, Cotton, Lee, Moran, and Paul (though 2 of them are from Medicare expansion states and may claim to oppose it for not repealing enough of the ACA when they actually want to keep the ACA since it helps so many in their states).

From these results, it seems that repeal without replace can't pass because at least Collins, Graham, Heller, and Murkowski will oppose it, and it also seems that a "skinny" repeal (repealing just the most unpopular facets of ACA like the mandate) can't pass because Corker, Cotton, Lee, Moran, and Paul will oppose it for keeping even more of the ACA intact than BRCA does.

(Also, too early for Schindler's List jokes? Seinfeld did it!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.