main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    I think of it as don't be a hypocrite argument.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    We have stated to take down statues of Imperialists across British universities.

3. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    So if a civil war broke out somewhere and US companies built ships for one side, I think that would mean people would think we were supporting one side over the other.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    1. Yes, Lincoln absolutely was a racist. He wanted black people deported to Liberia and made it happen.

2. My understanding is that yes, some in the U.K. were in favor of sending resources to the Confederacy to protect its cotton supply.

3. I'm not a big statue preservation person so "Would you tear this one down?" doesn't sway me, but I'm also not pretending that white nationalists cared about Lee doing anything other than preserving the status quo of black slavery. "We love statues!" is not what they were shouting while they were carrying their tiki torches.

5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Look. Bad stuff happens everywhere in the world. Several countries are currently collapsing. Death Squads roam in several areas. The planet is on the verge of total collapse, and has been for the better patt of a hundred years now.

But we're not talking about any of that. Specifically, we're discussing the Civil War and Robert E. Lee. Stop trying to sideline the discussion.

6. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    [double post - delete please]

7. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    If Lee had been born in Maryland instead of Virginia he would of fought on the North side and probably thought as of a great hero today. The man still would be the same exact person in reality .

8. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    [double post]

Britain also had economic interest in the North; our banks were financing the railway expansion. So, by your logic, that means we're supporting the Union.

9. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    double post

10. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    If there was a desire to because of continued festering of the bigotry those figures represented - a bigotry that remains (sadly) alive today - I would not object, no.

The problem is, so much of this is coded. Would Trump go into bat for Black "culture"? Mexican culture? No. He's racist towards every group. Even forgetting racism, he'll condemn vociferously any individual or organisation he feels is against him - he's condemned Alec Baldwin more than he has Nazis and white supremacists. So this is "about heritage" about as much as gamer gate was about "standards in gaming journalism". So, he's not about being even-handed towards all cultures at all. When he equivocates with Washington and Jefferson, he's not doing so because he genuinely believes there is an equivalence there, he's doing it to distract from the issue with whatboutery. It's disingenuous at best and at worst, symptomatic of his vile views. At this point, if you're siding with, or defending Trump as he defends white supremacists and the alt-right, you're complicit. He's crossed the line so many times, but yesterday was a new low. And sadly, he'll sink lower. If you would rather complain about whites being the victims here, that's a lack of self-reflection, not a genuine reflection of the issues here.

Sauntaero, V-2, Valairy Scot and 10 others like this.
  11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    But he wasn't.

It's like saying that the Nazis were a bunch of guys just being patriotic for their home country. Not everyone was a die hard jew hating fascist, but they all supported a regime that was for hard jew hating fascist, and that DOES make a difference.

V-2, unicorn, CT-867-5309 and 6 others like this.
  12. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    This all started when Ender Sai dared him to defend white nationalists. Just like to point this out.

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Exactly. It wasn't like a bunch of locals turned up because they like the statue. People from around the country were organised for this rally. And I can't emphasise this enough: they were flying swastikas, carrying anti-Semitic placards, shouting hate speech and armed to the teeth. I mean, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when someone responds with "Yeah, but..." as if there's any--ANY--justification or defence.

Sauntaero, V-2, unicorn and 7 others like this.
  14. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    Speaking of Ender, he should be happy that Attorney Gen. Jeff Sessions called the nut who killed the woman by driving the car into a crowd a Terrorist. HE was complaining a while back that white skinned people weren't called that in the US.

15. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Exactly. I cannot believe (I can) the mendacity of Trump's defence.

16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I suppose Trump was too busy Making America Great Again to say it himself.

V-2, unicorn, appleseed and 7 others like this.
  17. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    So apparently weapons caches were discovered in possession of white supremacist groups in Charlottesville:
    https://twitter.com/kristinrawls/status/897621132853080064

(This is according to VA Gov. Terry McAuliffe.)

As the above linked Twitter thread reminds, you might remember weapons caches as how hate groups in Rwanda were able to carry out genocide so suddenly and effectively. Except whereas they had machetes, American neo-Nazis have semi-automatic rifles and other artillery.

The events in Charlottesville this weekend had very little to do with history or a Civil War statue. It was a trial run for the militia takeover of a small city. And according to at least one event organizer, it went very, very well:
    [​IMG]

18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

But...but...but....it's their constitutional right!

*rolls eyes*

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's some scary ****.

I also love it when ***holes like that claim to be "the voice of white America."

20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Note how he says "movement". Like Trump

appleseed likes this.
  21. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

There were also people who supported Hitler and The Nazis In America during WWII what's your point?

on another note me and my dad just went on a walk through my neighborhood and it was really hot and humid just about killed me. but We saw a Trump sign in some guys Garage I suggested to my dad that we go in this guys garage and steal the sign and rip it in half or burn it or something, my dad said NO we don't do Illegal things but my dad did say If the guy was out he would give him a big thumbs down and tell him my dad didn't fight in WWII to have Nazis take over the country...

I will also say no one Is saying you cant like England for instance because they supported the South, England like America has a different GOV now England has more of a GOV like ours now and back During the Civil War Republicans like Lincoln were more like modern day Democrats so to compare the 1860's Governments of the two countries Is not fair.

Just think about It This way would any on here find It ok to have a Hitler Statue In a Park In current day Germany? why should we have Southern War Heroes memorialized in American Parks I really don't see the difference both are wrong. A suggestion try what they have been doing in Germany for years, Make It illegal to be a Nazi In America or Fly a Nazi flag. seems to work in Germany.

22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, I think your dad was being sensible there.

Juliet316 and Leoluca Randisi like this.
  23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    For my money (which is not a metaphor, because I subscribe to both the Post and the Times right now), the best columnist this year, and certainly on a consistent basis, has been Jennifer Rubin. The time has long passed when it was surprising to agree with her.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/jennifer-rubin/?utm_term=.96fb2069636b

A post from yesterday was particularly good:

I know I'm tired of the "concern" and Republicans who are "troubled." The psuedo-criticism and genuine CYA statements don't begin to go far enough.

Today has more along those lines.

Her last words in this morning's post are knifing and accurate:

24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I read NY Times, Washington Post, and USA Today, there all just the right amount of Liberal for me and Have a good Sports section and Movie section and The Arts! On TV I love MSNBC and also CNN !!!

25. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Hmm...
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.