main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Great news! All Trump's problems are solved.

2. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    So I hear there are only ten more episodes, guys.

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Obama's speechwriter Cody Keenan Tweeted that he remembered when a disastrous press conference for Obama was showing up in a tan suit.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  6. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Which was ridiculous. That suit was pimp

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

this is the guy who wrote the definitive bio on roger ailes, presumably has easy access to crazy people

V-2, Ghost, TCF-1138 and 5 others like this.
  8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    If true, I guess Bannon's resignation wasn't on good terms.

9. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    I believe we are pointing out that both sides are violent. Yelling or chastising one side won't help anything.
    1) There was an unpermitted violent counter protest going on against the legal protest that the white supremacists ass hats had set up. Don't get me wrong, the WS were hoping and prepared for violent resistance. And Antifa didn't let them down.

2) Both groups were committing domestic terrorism.
    1) Maybe if you go back 70 years you can see America routing commies.
    2) Communism is an ideology that demands killing or imprisoning anyone who disagrees. There is no other way it could ever be enforced. The hate and intolerance of people who don't agree is implied.

Commies have hate. They hate anyone who doesn't think like a Communist. And they will kill them for it.

And by painting fascism and communism as two sides of the same coin, I'm not defending fascism. I'm condemning it.

That fact that you think comparing fascism to communism is somehow a defense of fascism tells me something about you. And it ain't a good look...

10. keynote23

keynote23 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 26, 2006
    Your service commendable and appreciated.

But, if you're prepared to fight fascists abroad, why are you prepared to risk nurturing them here?

People killing in your name and people killing at your request aren't the same thing. Wouldn't you agree?

As to your views about being allowed to believe whatever you want however repugnant so long as it is legal, I can appreciate this and acknowledge the dangers inherent when we start down the path of policing thought.

That said the more radical the position, the higher the standard of legitimacy we as a society should demand of it to justify continued debate upon its merits.

To tolerate fascism (legally or otherwise) is to acknowledge that it is a view whose stated aims are worth consideration.

Permit it to grow to a critical point and under the right circumstances it will flourish. And we, as a world, have already seen what it's vision entails.

No more. Never again.

Free speech and the law be damned.

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    One Nazi out the White House, only a few more to go.

12. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Yep, Gorka, Miller and Trump.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  13. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Miller needs to go next.

Next to Bannon, he was the most dangerous out of the lot.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    don't worry, trump is sure to replace him with an even worse nazi.

j-rod, you can't paint communists with the same broad strokes that you can paint fascists. communists believe in the elimination of private property, in common ownership and the availability of resources to all. communism as an ideal fundamentally stresses equality. these are not hateful ideas. you're right that we haven't seen a communist regime that wasn't brutally enforced. but on smaller scales (primitive communism, modern communes) we have seen examples where it has worked without hate. you can't say anything remotely similar about fascism. i'm glad to see you roundly reject naziism. don't waste your time equating it to other philosophies. it severely weakens your message.

15. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    All the Steves need to go. And I say that as a Steve. Never have I been so embarrassed to have that name.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Chile under Allende, possibly?

17. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Are you suggesting you're a secret neo-nazi?

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Not every state in the Confederacy supported the war. Virginia had opposed the Confederacy to the point that the western counties voted to seceded and rejoin the Union, which is why we now have West Virginia. There were divisions within the states, but it is the people, particularly the commanding officers and certain public officials, that is the sore sport. They're the ones who made the decisions that took the country to war.

Why not go the source itself? Why not go to George Takei's Twitter and see what he said.

[​IMG]

19. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    I don't want to nurture Fascism here. It's as dangerous and even more hateful than Communism. I would want to outlaw both. The problem with that is this: Who gets to decide what's Communist and what's Fascist? McCarthyism and Antifa have shown that a judgement reliable enough for law can't really be done.

We end up back in Salem doing witch trials.

So I'm not saying that either ideology should be up for continued debate. But I am saying that you can't start picking and choosing which thoughts can be expressed and which can't.

Sure. And in my house, my wife and I also live with her daughter, our son-in-law, and our 2 (soon to be 3) grandbabies. It's a wonderful setup and we split all the expenses. It's given all of us a better standard of living. But that kind of an arrangement can only be entered into voluntarily. It can't be forced by the government.

And here's why it's evil, here's why I can paint Communism with the same brush as I paint Fascism: When you have a Communist Revolution (assuming I'm not out right killed during the revolution) you know before step one even begins that you will have to kill or imprison me because I'm not giving up my home ownership and the government isn't getting the fruits of my labor after I die. My grandbabies are.

You'll have to kill me to change that.

20. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    What do you know about Communism, J-Rod? You told Lord Vivec The Communist Manifesto chilled you to the bone, then you started agreeing with it two pages later.

21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Nice job ripping off JK Rowling's twitter feed. Plagiarism doesn't become you.

22. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm not down with communism either. I would condemn extremists wherever they appear. Communism has an awful amount of blood on its hands too. It's irrelevant in the present context though. It's white supremacists that Trump has emboldened and while agree with the dangers of thought policing, right now I can't condemn anyone protesting against those *******s.

23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I didn't know she posted it.

24. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Let's hope that the less obviously dangerous people, the pseudo-moderates, Jared and Ivanka, leave in time. Obviously, Bannon clashed a great deal with Jared, as Bannon was partially motivated by his Nazi ideology. But as many on this thread and, indeed, throughout the country know, Jared and Ivanka are anything but moderate. They back up much what the president does quietly. They just do it with charming smiles/lovely teeth.

I've mentioned my father's opposition to Trump. My father does this primarily due to how he misses voting for RFK and McGovern back in the day. (He voted for every Democrat from JFK in 1960 to Obama twice.) However, even my Mom is disturbed by Trump. Mom's first vote was for Nixon in 1972, and she has always voted for Republicans, including Reagan and the Bushes, and, of course, McCain and Romney. Yet Trump disturbed her so much that she admitted to Dad and me that she voted for Hillary Clinton during 2016. She did not enjoy it, but she felt she had no choice. She has known that Trump was mentally unstable since 2015, as many people learned during that time.

But, yeah. My parents were born in 1946 and 1939, and they as disturbed by Trump as more liberal people are. I love them so much for this and many other reasons, including the fact that they paid for 60% of the cost for my surgery in 2014. Mom calls Trump "one of the crazies," and Dad says, "I don't read the news much anymore because Trump makes a monster like Bush [43] look rational and likable."

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If he didn't have a cushy White House job, he would have been in Charlottesville holding a tiki torch and arguing that "The New Colossus" is just a poem and not an ideal for which the U.S. should strive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.