main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    This is amusing but yes, if you want to spread the debate wider, absolutely.

Seriously?

You're going down this route?

I've been giving those Nazis the exact same kicking, calling out those that defended them and Trump every step of the way.

In terms of wider debate I meant debate in here that started last night about other atrocities, not the debate about CV - there is no other debate there. The WS, KKK, Trump side are 100% in the wrong.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Bologna massacre is another for the list. Which, if the US doesn't get its act together, could end up happening in 2017.

3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    didn't it already happen in 1980 ?

4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    This isn't about "giving the Nazis the exact same kicking". This is about going on a tangent about something that is totally irrelevant to the matter at stake, and this tangent is in the interest of the whataboutists.

There were no "communists", real or fantasised, in Charlottesville, and King Leopold wasn't there either. As a matter of fact, both communists and King Leopold stopped being a threat quite a while ago. What is a very real threat is the fact that Nazis are present and active in our societies, both in the US and Europe, in 2017, and what amplifies this threat is that we take the bait when we're told to "look over there". We should know better than that.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Sadly relevant. Even eerily relevant.

6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Thank you Chyntuck.
    We must listen to Chyntuck. He's from a nation that is the future US.

7. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    It's a she, but thanks for the "compliment" anyway :p

8. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    That is wholly different than attacking someone or rounding someone up simply because they have a set of beliefs.

9. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    My apologies :)

Jedi Ben and Chyntuck like this.
  10. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Then educate me. How can you take an ideology and make it illegal? How do you police it? I'm not talking about making it illegal for hateful ideologies to publicly demonstrate, but how you folks seem to think that you can just up an wipe out an ideology.

V-2 and SuperWatto like this.
  11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    As it has been said countless times in this thread: German constitutional law on the vary degrees of supporting Nazism.

Rew, Jedi Ben, Darth Caliban and 3 others like this.
  12. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I wasn't. I may have missed some of the debate as the discussion on Communism began last night and seemed to pick up again this am. I have some posters on ignore so if I've missed certain points I apologise. I've not taken any bait, I've continued to keep the CV and the rise of the white supremacist fronts in mind with pretty much every post I believe and I believe the best way (or a way) to deal with any attempted deceleration is to acknowledge any flaws and move on quickly, keeping the attack where it belongs - which, as I've said from the start is on the thugs in CV and wherever else they rise.

I know that communism has nothing to do with the events in CV, nor do I think I've made such a claim.

I also acknowledged that communism offers no immediate threat in the same way. I also mistakenly believed that this was a message board debate where tangents arose as part of the discussion - just as the last page or so now seems to have been criticism or snark directed my way. Fine. If you feel my posts merit that that's ok, but you're taking on ideas you disagree with whilst also (I presume) still not losing focus on the horror of Nazis in CV.

Nothing anyone says in any of these posts detracts from that horror in anyway. Nor for that matter has any direct impact on it either way. All we can do is air our opinions and try and sway those who might be swayed.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  13. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm glad you're open to it, BBP.
    We didn't wipe it out. But we did manage to make it an absolute taboo, as absolute as they come, and to stigmatise it like nothing before or since.
    We prohibited Mein Kampf, the swastika, and hate speech.
    I was once against it, thinking it was a relic from the past, no longer dangerous - but alas I was wrong and now I am glad we have it.

Rew, Jedi Ben, Darth Caliban and 3 others like this.
  14. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I have no issue with this. I have no issue with making it illegal to publicly gather to demonstrate in the name of hatred. What citizens to in private is their own business though and should not be policed.

SuperWatto likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Astrology is a "set of beliefs." The sentience of potted plants is a "set of beliefs." Up to a certain point, "live and let live" regarding sets of beliefs is fine.

The belief that certain races, nationalities, gender, or sexual orientation must be exterminated goes beyond the point at which "live and let live" is safe. We are obligated to protect nonwhites, non-Christians, women and LGBTQ people by not giving this ideology space to spread and recruit.

We can't police thought, but we can certainly police practice of that "set of beliefs" in public and virtual space, support employers who do not want to hire people with that "set of beliefs," and outlaw the symbols and documents of that "set of beliefs."

16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    This is probably going to come as a surprise for Danna, Watto and others that I've interacted with more often in other threads, but I also don't think that banning Nazism as an ideology is remotely the beginning of a solution – first of all because banning ideas is a slippery slope and we shouldn't engage in that, but most importantly because forcing Nazis and their ilk to go underground doesn't make them less real, it simply makes them invisible.

When Golden Dawn was elected to parliament in Greece in 2012, they started receiving dozens of visits from delegations of Nazi and Nazi-like parties from around Europe, including (or even especially) from countries that ban Nazism. Everyone was surprised because people had no clue that those groups existed and that they were networking and had been doing so for decades. They were just constantly shifting and changing their names and modes of organisation for the past several decades so they could exist under the radar. Also, they joined or associated with "normal" far-right parties and basically hid in there. Then suddenly they had a pretext to come out in the open when the refugee influx came to Europe and we all went, "uh, wait, this [insert "normal far-right party name here] is much worse that I thought" while being woefully unprepared to confront them.

Western countries have an entire legal arsenal to address criminal activity, and Nazi organisations by their very nature do all sorts of things that go against the law. We don't need to ban them from existence, we just need to enforce good ol' criminal law.

V-2 and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't that the whole point of "antifa" in the first place - that extreme neo-Nazis are already mostly underground, and they reveal them and "out" them to the public and their employers?

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

He doesn't want to bring them together. He wants them to come to him, begging for a deal. That way, he can lord it over them.

Watching a CNN interview yesterday with members of antifa and that's what they claim.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Despite the Republicans controlling all 3 branches...

(in Obama's 111th Congress, they passed 383 public laws and 7 treaties)

http://www.businessinsider.com/cong...-number-of-laws-bad-for-stocks-economy-2017-8

Hmmm, what was happening in 1973-1975?

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm starting to think the people who are glad that Trump is so incompetent have a point.

On the whole idea of free speech...

What Europe can teach America

21. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    As a European, I freely offer my services to teach my American friends how freedom of speech really works :)

22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I've seen editorials theorizing that if Trump had started out with something popular, like say infrastructure, that might have forced the Democrats to the table. Although Trump's idea of infrastructure is probably "sell federal highways to private companies who will then charge tolls forever". Of course, that was never going to happen, not with Trump's ego and the seven-year long Republican promise to repeal Obamacare (to get money for tax cuts too). Too bad they didn't spend much of those seven years actually coming up with a plan, it was easier just to shut down the government.

I wonder how many of those laws were just "undo something Obama did". They'll probably spend the first year or so tearing down Obama laws (due to some rule saying they can undo stuff from the last year of Obama's term, I think?) but they've got to come up with some sort of agenda besides just repeal Obamacare and make the rich even richer.

Standards have been falling for years, and Trump is kind of the ultimate/most recent expression of that. Approval ratings for Congress were really low, which unfortunately led to an outsider like Trump winning (among many other factors). 20 years ago a government shutdown was still kind of a big deal (I think during Clinton's term?). Now it seems like it nearly happens every year, along with the debt ceiling being held hostage regularly. And guess who the White House Budget Director is, one of those Senators who hates the idea of a "clean debt bill". Ironically without a common "enemy" the Republican party is arguably in even worse shape now. Having a worse than ineffectual President doesn't help either. If Trump did nothing all day that would be bad enough, but he doesn't understand that calling his party's health bill "cruel" is kind of counterproductive.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    What Chyntuck says is interesting. Not remotely the beginning of a solution. Then what is?
    I'll say it has provided comfort and a sense of security here. Not falsely either, because apparently when the nazis want to organise they have to go to Greece. As long as we have these laws I don't have to fear nazis.
    I admit it's counterintuitive when you're a proponent of free speech. I guess I'm not an absolutist (You were right Ender Sai). I'm not for free speech when it comes to hate speech. Not from nazis, not from clerics, anybody. As to all things, there's a limit.

Darth_Voider and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Freedom of speech has consequences. Which a lot of people tend to forget especially on Twitter and YouTube.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.