main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It is like, in the UK, several people have spent time in jail for things they've tweeted

"but..but...freedom of speech!"
    "you threatened to slit a women's throat"
    "Isn't that freedom of speech?"

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  3. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Or the guy who sent a picture of Michael Myers, holding a knife, to a female MP and was surprised it constituted as a threat of violence...instead of "freedom of speech"

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Right after Obama won the 2008 election, there were a few death-threat-level Facebook groups that got shut down, including one called "Kill Obama." And of course the groups' creators said that "it's not a threat, it's a statement" and "it's our freedom of speech, which was not written to protect speech you like" upon the groups' being shut down. :rolleyes:

Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    "I like butts" is a statement - threatening to kill an elected official is not.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

occupies the same chair that franklin roosevelt once sat in, can't spell 4-letter word

7. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I don't think it is possible to reach a solution. The 'zeitgeist' has changed in a way that a segment of society feels as if they have been disenfranchised and their base of power stolen. These neo-nazis and white supremacist organisations are nothing more than a a network of victim support groups. Poor us. We used to rule the world but now the bleeding hearts have given the riff raff rights and made them equals. Sob. Human beings are so tenacious when we believe we are the victims. They won't ever go away. The best we can do I think is keep white supremacist 'ideology' as lunatic fringe as possible in the minds of the majority. The fact that these CV 'protesters' are now being outed and vilified is comforting.

8. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Let's make something clear: this communism tangent started because some in here chose to take the whataboutery bait and paint communism as some lovely system that is not at all like Nazism. Some of us will not go along with that line of argument, not because we've bought into Cold War rhetoric but because we refuse to buy into a No True Scotsman fallacy just to continue to push against fascists.

I had family arrested, tortured and murdered under the Soviet system, all for anti-communist activities. I'm surely they'll be pleased to know that it was communism "in name only".

Look, here's the deal: the reason pure communism has never been realised is because as soon as you put it into practice, it attracts the worst kinds of people, namely psychopaths. It inevitably, necessarily runs towards total oppression and inhumanity because (as I said earlier) pure communism mixed with human behaviour and psychology results in the horrors of every communist regime we've seen in history.

I will not give communism a pass just to score points against Nazis. I shouldn't need to, and it's as if, in this thread, that's now the expectation, when really, you can detest Nazism, detest communism and still say, "Only one side of the rally at Charlottesville was wrong, unequivocally".

Mar17swgirl and Satipo like this.
  9. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

SummerSlam weekend and Trump confirms himself as the biggest heel in America

10. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Yes, it's a lack of privilege mistaken for oppression.

What's astounding to me is how quickly some of these neo-fascist thugs started blubbering as soon as their actions were met with consequence. Shows how deep their convictions run.

11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    If he's talking in the wrestling vernacular, this is the most honest thing he's ever said.

Alpha-Red and Darth Nerdling like this.
  12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007

Ok, even by his standards that sentence is pathetic. If Kelly can't get his phone away from him, he should resign, otherwise there's no point to doing anything.

For some reason I'm now imagining Trump as a faithful doggie to Russia. Where is he now anyway? Still at Camp David or rushing back to his golf course?

13. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Sieg Heel!!

poor yorick and Yoda's_Roomate like this.
  14. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Can you point me to where people in this thread suggested authoritarian communism was some 'lovely system'? Not only were there no communists at Charlolletsville, but surely we are all intelligent enough to understand saying that Fascism is the worst system of all does not give the extreme left a pass.

SuperWatto likes this.
  15. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    There were passionate defences of communism in the abstract. I contend that all communism, on any large scale, necessarily runs towards authoritarianism. I reject the notion that authoritarian communism is communism "in name only", since it's the only way you'll get it to work. The alternative is to say that authoritarian communism is an oxymoron, in which case you may as well say that communism has no practical application beyond being a bait-and-switch used by autocrats and despots. (In fairness, I could easily get on board with that definition.)

EDIT: And so maybe I should just say that I'm against any form of totalitarianism and fascism and leave it at that.

Immortiss, TCF-1138 and Satipo like this.
  16. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

Well, Mr. President, you've done a pretty good job of making us look like the villains so far.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    He was just talking to you directly.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Trump is in a wheelchair?!

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

I actually thought heels1785 was talking about the chair FDR used for his fireside radio chats, but on the other hand....

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nope, a golf cart. Unlike FDR, Trump has a choice.

21. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    And unlike Trump, FDR was a great President.

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I wasn't sure if this was just how Americans spell heal. It wouldn't be surprising if they did.

heels1785 likes this.
  23. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
  24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    And unlike Trump, FDR actually interned people based on their race and country of origin.

Wait, where were we going with this?

V-2 and Darth Guy like this.
  25. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Some very fine people indeed on that side.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...nizer-calls-heather-heyers-death-payback.html

A Twitter post from the account of Jason Kessler, the far-right activist who organized the Charlottesville, Va., “Unite the Right” rally, insulted the protester who was killed at the event, saying late Friday night that her death was “payback time.”
    Heather Heyer was a fat, disgusting Communist,” the post said. “Communists have killed 94 million. Looks like it was payback time.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.