main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Staying away from a bit of the hyperbole, Keith Schiller's departure should have sent shockwaves that were regrettably muted by the horrific events in Houston and then the DACA news. Every week someone else vital to the Trump administration just leaves. Donald simply cannot keep a working staff together and that was supposed to been one of his strengths! "The bessttttttttt" as he claim. Turns out the best is filled with mostly rejects and political zealots (Stephen Miller) with only a few true capable players who seem to be dropping like flies. I don't know how much longer Kelly can last which scares me because nobody else worth a darn will want that position. Reince Priebus is a true conserative yet he only lasted six months working there. I cannot phantom someone like Kelly who has served this country objectively and heroically for the past 40 plus years can last working for such a dysfunctional and frankly brutal administration. I know Kelly and Mattis have agreed that they need to put their country first and serve the presidency despite who is in office but after awhile how much is enough?

Meanwhile, Trump told DREAMERS he has a "great love" for them. Reminds me of Judge Smails when he is talking to Danny about gas chambers:

2. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    If you say so. Myself, I think you're making much ado about nothing. Nothing I or anyone else has said has prevented you from voicing your opinion. You're equating disagreement with lack of respect. They are two different things entirely.

You seem to think that your point of view deserves a certain level of respect equal to that of the opposing view. That is incorrect. Respect is earned, not commanded, and I find your attempts to call out my refusal to acknowledge your opinion as such to be disingenuous at best, whining at worst.

In life, people are going to disagree with you. They may or may not respect you or what you have to say. At the end of the day, how you choose to react to those with differing opinions is entirely up to you. But I would caution you not to waste time trying to control what other people feel or think--you will fail, and your frustration will only continue to mount as a result.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    sea lions gonna sealion.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *fixed

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  6. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    You can't "whatabout" when the Nazis and the KKK are involved. I know you instinctively want to defend everything liberals criticize, but think of what you are doing. Comparing antifa to the Nazis and the KKK is like comparing jaywalkers to the mob.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh leave poor Neville Chamberhef alone!

yankee8255 and appleseed like this.
  8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    CNN has the highlights of Hillary's book. From reading the highlights, it sounds like the cover image should have been her flipping everyone off.

That said, it sounds like she does make several good points and she actually pinpointed exactly what my issue with Bernie Sanders running as a Democrat was. Frankly anyone who still thinks she was just as bad as Trump is beyond anyone's reasoning at this point.

Darth Nerdling, V-2 and appleseed like this.
  9. realjim949

realjim949 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 22, 2017
    I don’t know if this has been mentioned here yet, but apparently, Kamala Harris has voiced her support for single-payer healthcare. I’m still undecided on her (she’s only been in the Senate less than a year), but I think this, at least, is very good news.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    You can thank Republicans for making single payer universal mainstream in the US. But for their absurd demonization of the ACA, it never would have been on the platform of any viable candidate.

yankee8255 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  11. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Switching gears for a moment.

This is a fascinating analysis of the National Interstate Voter Compact. No idea if it will ever come to fruition, but the arguments for and against--from both sides of the aisle--make for quite an interesting read.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  12. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    How does this possibly matter? When someone does something wrong, it's wrong. It doesn't matter if I personally like them.

Please. We have been discussing the violence of left-wing groups for years now. And it will end when they quit being violent.

I love the studies that show that right-wing groups are responsible for most terror actions. Yet we've had 536 shooting just this year in Chicago alone. And none of them, I'd wager, are from right-wing terror groups. Most of them are street gangs using terror to maintain control of a territory.

But for some reason, those don't make the cut.

The left is trying to control and frame debates using terror.

That's the biggest part of all of this. From the streets to the media to colleges.

I ask again, what's next? Book burning?

13. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    That is some quality whatabouting right dere.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    J-Rod, "terror" is violence against civilians with an expressed political purpose. Gang violence doesn't make the cut because A)it's usually against other gang affiliates, not civilians, and B)it's not political but as you yourself said is about criminal markets.

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Uneducated right-wingers have historically been the ones responsible for book burning. Not colleges or the media. Not college educated people, nor the mostly quite intelligent people within the press.

I'm sorry J-Rod, but you are wrong here. Wrong.

16. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Framing debates in terms of terror would be a traditional tactic of the right, J-Rod. I see your point, but all the left is doing is conceding your established points about calling out extremism when it's obviously apparent. We can all finally agree to hate Islamic terrorists together, so why not agree to hate white Nazis too? Is your loyalty to your race stronger than your hatred for terrorism? Was your hatred for terrorism just a flimsy cover for your racism all these years?

17. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Exactly

And please the Trumpian rabid anti-intellectualism might not have come to actual book burning but it absolutely is an all out assault on critical thinking. Make no mistake the right is attempting to do the same thing book burners have in the past and they have a willing champion at the highest level of government.

18. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Am I?

Both Antifa and Nazis are hate groups that use violence to control your thinking.

19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    J-Rod

There's a difference between those that are intolerant, and those that are intolerant of intolerance.

Some members of Antifa do shady stuff, but not all of them do that, and I agree with their goals, I.E. to combat fascists.

I cannot agree with fascists on any level, and I believe the whole group to be an evil and corrupting influence.

By your continual need to try and equate the two and create some sort of false narrative that the left and right are equally wrong on this issue just shows that you are either incapable of ceding from your party on this issue, or are complacent in the fascists goals. Either way, you should be ashamed.

20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Nazis also killed tens of millions of people because of their religion, race and ancestry. To compare the two in anyway is disgusting.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Capitalism and the state use violence to control.

22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Bernie Sanders is one of the most useless members of the S
    Senate in modern times and that is saying something. Screaming at the top of your lungs like a loon with nutball ideas is not statesman like....its buffoonery. Hillary though made a massive mistake and did not take his candidacy until it was too late. She did the same thing with Trump thinking he was an easy victory in a popularity contest. Just the worst campaign in modern times.

Paul Ryan told dreamers to rest easy as Congress will act. That's nice of you to say Paul but the nuts in your party all already screaming the issue should not even be brought up while Donald shows no interest of passing any bill despite his cbig heart" talk.

23. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Yodaminch: It's actually a relief that Hillary is giving progressives the middle finger via a book rather than through a four-year presidency. I wasn't exactly looking forward to hearing her lecture us on how we couldn't have free stuff like universal health care or affordable college while she was ratcheting up the military budget. Watching her lose to a reality-show Caligula provided the only pleasure I could glean from Election Night.

No, she wasn't as bad as Trump, but that's as about as low a goshdamned bar as one could set.

24. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    She is a typical center-right Democrat, and she would have been no worse than Obama. Trump is historically bad, especially for minorities, women and children. Bernie had zero chance of getting elected-the oppo research on him was never used but had the idiot Dems nominated him, Trump would have won in a massive rout.

I agree that America needs a legit left but Bernie ain't it.

25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I'll always be a Bernie boi.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.