main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    1. Kathy Griffin is a woman.

2. Name any othe time in American history at all that the White House officially called for firing a private citizen for criticizing the President.

2. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    I said white people, not white men so what's your point with #1?

3. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    I care about spelling when I hand in a report at work or collage, I'm sorry I don't really care and take the time to make sure all my posts in here don't have grammar or spelling errors.Your really not that important.

4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    How about you answer #2 while you're at it?

5. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    I'm not playing your switch and bait game, how about you answer my original question, What black person has ever been fired for a political or racist comment?

6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    It's just interesting that on average, spelling is very good on here, except when it's a Trump voter doing the talking.

Like, where I'm from, we also have people who can´t spell well, but they're all over the political spectrum. Not clustered on the far right.

V-2, Vaderize03 and Juliet316 like this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's really not that interesting though, unless that person was fired on request from the White House. That is was freedom of speech is all about - the government can't stop you from speaking your mind. Private companies and citizens absolutely can.

8. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    I dislike bad grammar and spelling just as much as the next guy, I mean proofread right? Even so, I've spelled things wrong before, and that doesn't make my political opinions wrong.

So what, a Trump supporter comes on here and wants to debate, so you belittle them and make fun of their grammar? Come on, that's cheap.

Here's my take though. It seems like the current White House administration has selective hearing when it comes to free speech. Trump has said some wild things, and Alex Jones, and Sean Hannity.

I'm not sure if Jemele's tweets should get her fired, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. She is foolish to post such strong opinions online. Yeah she has free speech, but her company has a reputation to defend.

gezvader28 and Outsourced like this.
  9. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    why was Curt Schilling fired by ESPN and not her? Shouldn't a company afford freedom of speech to all employees?

10. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    ESPN probably doesn't want the bad press of firing a black woman for criticizing the president. They're already criticized for not having enough black women. I don't think that is the best reason, but I get it and it doesn't really enrage me. The company can do whatever it wants. It's not really an argument of free speech, it is company ethics.

11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    "It's a very high bar to argue that federal funding to states will be cut by $160 billion between 2020 and 2026 (forget whether it ends in 2027 or not) and coverage will stay the same."

-Drew Altman of the Kaiser Family Foundation on the effect of proposed Medicaid block grans.

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

There's a fairly famous one.

Shirley Sherrod

She was fired thanks to a video selectively edited (aka fake news) by Andrew Breitbart that painted her as a racist.

Isaiah Washington was fired from Grey's Anatomy for calling a fellow cast mate a gay slur. CeeLo Green got cancelled because of comments about rape. Green has gotten into a lot of trouble for what he has said.

Colin Kaepernick is out of the NFL because he took a knee during the anthem.

Those were just off the top of my head.

13. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    I'll concede the fact that blacks can be fired for sexists or homophobic comments, but I don't think they are for political or racists comments. Kap isn't in the NFL because he sucks at QB. Black players are still kneeling and they have not been cut.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This is literally what you said. OR WOMEN

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Shilling was fired for sharing a post that among other things, was offensive and insulting. It also bordered on threatening:

Jemele called Trump a white supremacist because he failed to denounce them.

Honestly, this can be supported with evidence up to and including the president's own words and actions. Her point of view is supported by fact. She also called him ignorant and unfit to be president- again this too can be factually backed up by the man's words and actions.

It would be akin to firing someone for saying the sky is blue and the grass is green. Jemele simply said what many, many others in the press have already stated. She didn't threaten him in any way. She just shared her extreme dislike of him and her honest opinion of him.

Now, if she had called for his death or violence against him, I would agree she should be fired. She did not do that. Shilling chose to share a post that included threats and implications of violence to say nothing of being offensive. You can argue what Jemele said was offensive- but again what she said was based on what Trump has said and done in full view of the world.

16. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    I meant black women.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Shirley Sherrod was specifically fired for alleged racist political comments. She's black. It happened.

Shermichael Singleton, who worked for HUD under Ben Carson, was fired for criticizing Trump.

Lisa Durden (wiki her if you want) was fired after saying this on Tucker Carlson:

18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    1. What Schilling said was way worse then what Hill said even though I hate bomb throwers on both sides (which is what they are hence I don't listen/watch either of them).
    2. With Schilling that was a last straw. He said a lot of stupid things in the past and simply did not listen to warnings.

As for Kapernick, he is out of the league for the same reasons Tebow is. Can only succeed in a outdated system (read option) and brings a media circus over stuff totally overblown. Doesn't help Colin's skills have really diminished. He cannot run like he used to nor throw.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It seems the whataboutery worked once again.

MrZAP, Jedi Merkurian , EHT and 3 others like this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ESPN can fire people for what they say if they want to. They are within their rights to fire Jemele.

But there's a big difference between saying that a private company has the right to fire someone for her tweets, and saying that anyone who criticizes Trump should be fired.

The former acknowledges the right of a private company to employee or discontinue employment as they see fit for the customer base they serve and the public impression they want to create. The latter is a dangerous step towards outlawing criticism of government officials at all.

21. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I can think of a lot of teams whose QB situation would be immediately improved by Kapernick, including my crummy team (NY Jets). A QB is much higher profile than any other position, and that's why other players kneeling haven't been blacklisted.

Abadacus and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Ki
    Kinda like conservatives and everyone who doesn’t look like or agree with them.

You know, glass houses and all...

23. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Shirley Sherrod literally fits the example you are asking for. In fact, she was fired rather quickly and despite the fact that Breitbart was known to make fake video edits.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The refusal to spell correctly or even believe it is important goes back to anti-intellectualism. "My beliefs are just as worthy as your knowledge." Dyslexia or other such learning disability, or a computer without spellcheck, are understandable. But the idea that spelling and grammar should not matter at all? Just no.

Remember when conservatives had William F. Buckley? Charles Krauthammer (who I think still does some writing but is rarely referenced anymore)? Reagan, who, love him or hate him, gave speeches that sound like they were written by a mature adult with writing skills?

25. Hef

Hef Jedi Master star 3

Jan 30, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.