main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Don't be harsh on the kid. Like my younger self, naive and morally superior view on the world....which gets shattered when you actually enter politics. Those books at uni? Nothing but BS and propaganda.

2. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    Was the Cold War anything like this? Because WWIII seems so possible to me right now.

Also, that seems like a ridiculous thing for Tillerson to say, he might as well have said, "The bombs will drop until diplomacy begins."

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Axrendale - well you have the DFATtitude downpat.

Pro-tip though - most of what you learn is theory and has no bearing on the world. All the paradigms? Nonsense save realism.

You can trust me on this. Also forget DFAT. Useless and disinterested unless you've grown up overseas or have wealthy parents. It's been 9.5 years since I left but back in 2006/7 Defence, Immigration, Transport, AusAID, AFP, Customs, AGs (both as actual lawyers and the domestic secret squirrels), AusTrade all had people at posts. They represent agency activity in-country, not DFAT. AUSTRAC probably also have people in-country but I was there pre-AML/CTF legislation.

<- Masters of International Relations from Macquarie Uni.

DANNASUK likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember the latter part of the Cold War; I knew where the bomb shelters in town were. My parents had a plan that, if we knew bombing was imminent, we would drive to the nearest military base (45 minutes away) so that we would blow up first and get it over with. In school we took the movie The Day After as a distinct possibility.

Then there was Reagan’s idiotic “We start the bombing in five minutes” comment when he thought the mikes were off.

I’d say the Cold War was a step above what we’re seeing now, but only a step.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    My only memory is watching the Berlin Wall come down.

Jedi Ben and Juliet316 like this.
  6. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I remember in the first Iraq war there was a fair bit of alarm because the fear was that Iraq would hit Israel and drag them into the war and then . . .

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

No, because the US/USSR kept each other restrained. The fear of nuclear attack was there, but not the sense of unhinged lunacy at the helm. However, I was a kid, and therefore not really able to process Reagan.

Jedi Merkurian and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The closest we ever came to deliberately nuking each other to kingdom come was the Cuban Missle Crisis.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

ABLE ARCHER.

Do you people even history?

Vaderize03 likes this.
  11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. The Soviets ere burning their documents.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    For better or for worse, the United States believed in the "Domino Theory", the belief that if a country turned communist, the countries next to it would also turn communist. Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Wolfowitz were students of this theory.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    yes but that meant they were a threat to American companies and prosperity. It was less ideological than it was financial. Why else do you think a fruit company helped control US covert actions?

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’ve been trying to figure out why we gave a **** if another country was communist, even with Khrushchev saying “We will bury you.” The only thing to do there was stop him from taking over the US, and I did not think he had much chance anyway.

Economic interests explains everything.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  15. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    phrasing .

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How is that phrasing? Since when did "process" become a euphemism? You tit.

17. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I understand you feel angry , but you're not to blame .

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You still haven't explained it!

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    V-2 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    This will do him in for sure!

21. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    One never explains a joke , but I suppose if you were to look up the definition of 'process' you might find :
    "a natural appendage or outgrowth on or in an organism, such as a protuberance on a bone."

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Fruit_Company#Guatemala

"UFCO had a mixed record on promoting the development of the nations in which it operated. In Central America, the Company built extensive railroads and ports and provided employment and transportation. UFCO also created numerous schools for the people who lived and worked on Company land. On the other hand, it allowed vast tracts of land under its ownership to remain uncultivated and, in Guatemala and elsewhere, it discouraged the government from building highways, which would lessen the profitable transportation monopoly of the railroads under its control. UFCO had also destroyed at least one of those railroads upon leaving its area of operation.
    In 1954, the democratically elected Guatemalan government of Colonel Jacobo Arbenz Guzmán was toppled by U.S.-backed forces led by Colonel Carlos Castillo Armas who invaded from Honduras. Assigned by the Eisenhower administration, this military opposition was armed, trained and organized by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (see Operation PBSUCCESS). The directors of United Fruit Company (UFCO) had lobbied to convince the Truman and Eisenhower administrations that Colonel Arbenz intended to align Guatemala with the Soviet Bloc. Besides the disputed issue of Arbenz's allegiance to Communism, UFCO was being threatened by the Arbenz government’s agrarian reform legislation and new Labor Code. UFCO was the largest Guatemalan landowner and employer, and the Arbenz government’s land reform included the expropriation of 40% of UFCO land. U.S. officials had little proof to back their claims of a growing communist threat in Guatemala; however, the relationship between the Eisenhower administration and UFCO demonstrated the influence of corporate interest on U.S. foreign policy. United States Secretary of State John Foster Dulles was an avowed opponent of Communism, and his law firm, Sullivan and Cromwell, had represented United Fruit. His brother Allen Dulles was the director of the CIA and a board member of United Fruit. United Fruit Company is the only company known to have a CIA cryptonym."

I love when people talk to me about the ideals of liberty handed down from the Revolution. [face_flag]

23. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    "I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

- Major General Smedley Butler
    Common Sense, 1935

24. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm old enough to remember last decade of the Cold War and it could get pretty funky at times, but I never felt that the lunatics were in control of the asylum then – as opposed to now.

25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    At least if the Cold War had turned hot, we would have been nuking each other for less stupid reasons.

Maybe you could make the case for America being a benign superpower under Obama, but you can't say the same for the Bush presidency, let alone Donald Trump's. A benign superpower is supposed to behave a certain way...does having a president that discards diplomacy in favor of war, whose rhetoric gave every indication that he desired war (the complete opposite of his father I might add), fit the bill? Absolutely not. And then we have Republicans spending the past 8 years trying to lower the threshold for war with Iran...how the **** is that right? John F. Kennedy once said we should aspire to create a world where the strong are just, but we have done the opposite...we've erased the benign part of "benign superpower".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.