main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm quite curious as to the legality here. Getting in someone's face and making a threat is the very definition of assault and battery. I would have decked the ****** ******.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, but then the reporter would've have likely gotten arrested for hitting a member of Congress. Really there was no - win here.

The reporter has apparently accepted Rep. Grimm's apology.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    If NY congressmen have to resign over affairs and dick pics, publicly threatening a reporter on tape should be worse. Jail time should happen, but probably won't.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

What?

Assault is the threat; battery is the physical act.

Threatening someone cannot be battery unless the threat is carried out.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Here's a clip showing the incident:

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ugh, responding to you makes my skin crawl. yes, there is no actual battery, but you can still defend yourself when someoen commits assault. You don't have to wait for the battery.

8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    so he's basically the thing from that superhero movie mitt romney made?

9. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    It seems to me from looking at that footage that there was some kind of agreement before the interview was conducted that certain topics would not be broached and that was a condition of the interview. The reporter then violates that agreement (as they do) on air and then feigns puzzlement on camera as to why the congressman has walked off without answering the question, insinuating that he has something to hide. I love how these reporters are always the victims despite being sneaky b*******. Tghe congressman's stock wil probably go up as I think people everywhere appreciate moments when politicians reveal themselves as being human. That was an endearing aspect of Dubya as well.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Only if you're actually apprehensive that a battery is about to occur and need to defend yourself, not because you think the guy's a jerk who needs to get his clock cleaned :p

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    And I'd say that's pretty easy to prove when someone gets in your face and says he'll break you in half.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Sorry, I didn't make it clear. My criticism was directed at the article itself and it's tone and attitude towards the states at the bottom, not at the poster of the article.

I used my phone. Beware.pf.typos.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  13. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LIKE A BOY

14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

It's only for federal contractors.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    While $10 isn't enough anywhere in the country, a "living wage" would have to significantly higher especially in major metro areas and would be considered too ambitious for a mere executive order. Not that he likely ever considered such a course of action.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The minimum wage, as a flat number, is a joke -- similar to the poverty line.

Indexed values is really the only way to do things rationally. :p

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    duende you're down with that dude right? seems like youd be down with him

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This is why you are one of the most insightful political commentators on this whole website.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well that's stupid. I hate everything.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's all he had the power to change. General minimum wage is up to Congress.

21. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    possibly, but i don't know anything about him. i mean other than the fact that he's a big tough guy.

Rogue_Ten and Ender Sai like this.
  22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Reich vs Cupp: minimum wage

S.E. Cupp: “You would suggest that we force employers to raise wages, force union participation, raise taxes on the top job creators, and force employers to cut off hiring at 50 employees to avoid Obamacare mandates. How is that a job recipe for job creation?”
    Robt. Reich: “It’s not forcing.”
    S.E. Cupp: “You want to raise the minimum wage, which would force [employers] to raise wages.”
    Robt. Reich: “We’ve had a minimum wage in this country since 1935. Raising the minimum wage is good for the country. It puts more money in the pockets of people. Sixty-five percent of Americans want to raise the minimum wage. Most minimum-wage workers these days are not teenagers; they are breadwinners. If you help them, you are helping the economy overall. And a lot of employers will benefit from a higher minimum wage.”

23. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    The Republicans really have a point when it comes to perverse incentives out of the Affordable Care Act. Setting limits like companies of 50 employees, employees at 32 hours or less, making the cost of penalties less than the cost of providing insurance - what you have it a system which rewards silly behavior and punishes behavior that grows the economy. Unfortunately, not every company is Costco. Costco treats their employees super well, and while I wish that Walmart did the same, they simply don't. And the affordable care act doesn't give them any incentive to treat their employees more like Costco. It gives them and other companies incentives to circumvent the intended purpose of the act.

24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    basically the only solution is full communism

unironically

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Even more unfortunately, Republicans are largely responsible for creating this situation. The incredibly low penalties were the cost of Olympia Snowe's continued participation in the late spring negotiations, and are one of the single most enduring "conservative" footprints on the whole law.

This seems a bit bearish, though. While there are plenty of dis articulated pieces of policy in the ACA, the fact is that none if them seem to be trending towards a meaningfully destabilizing effect. If some people are responding to the perverse incentives, most are not. Their principal charge is that the ACA is fundamentally unworkable. In fact, it seems to be a structurally and functionally sound piece of legislation that just has some stupid parts in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.