main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Jar-Jar Binks and Master_Rebado like this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    As someone who knows a lot of evangelical Christians, I said a couple of times back during the campaign and right after the election that I was disappointed that so many of them had "sold their souls" in order to vote for Trump. I didn't know how right I was.

4. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Cult leader.

5. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Complete and utter cult of a leader. Filthy, too.

6. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Trump came out in favor of Moore. He persisted in saying the word denial a bit too much. "He totally denies it."

7. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    He’s had plenty of opportunities to rehearse that line, given his decades of sexually mistreating women in general.

8. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Orwell warned us about how the English language would be distorted in this manner. We've seen it before, albeit not this dumbed down.

VadersLaMent and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, true. Orwell would be disgusted to see just how much stupider everyone is in our version of 1984.

10. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    I want to just say thanks to everyone for welcoming me into this thread.^:)^

Regarding Jesus well, I don't understand how Catholics can support Trump. I grow up believing it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God. [face_tee_hee]
    So I'm a little confused how Trump ever got this far. To be honest I was truly thankful and believed Trump was finished after the access Hollywood tape. Wouldn't that be exhibit A in one of Trump's sexual harassment cases? [face_thinking]

appleseed and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    And how his legacy has been abused and misrepresented to further the cause of stupidity.
    Maybe a lot lower down the alphabet, if prosecution was working chronologically. He's established his character over many different forms of media over the decades.

When it comes to Catholics supporting Trump, I recall an audience of Catholic business leaders, monks and priests booing him at a Catholic charity fund-raiser, but I'm also tempted to wheel out that old quote about what it takes for good people to do bad things... I'm disappointed that the religious right support him and his alt-right southern strategy, but really, what was the alternative? A baby killing, rape enabling, criminal of the Benghazi genocide, subpizzariarean paedophile ring using, illegal emailing, gun takin' awayin' WOMAN?

Rew and CT-867-5309 like this.
  12. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    We're glad that you're here. believed he was finished after that tape surfaced, as well, JJB. However, a few days prior to the election, I feared that he would win.

The Justice Department is investigating Harvard for affirmative action policies. However, I'm still vexed with Harvard over how they mistreated Chelsea Manning.

Juliet316 and Jar-Jar Binks like this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The CIA and whoever else pressured them just hate dissent.

14. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    My mother used to quote that verse so much...a lot of her liberal beliefs came from the Bible. She never went to church at all, though. If she were still with us...whew, she would be so pissed.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

There are two kinds of people when it comes to politics. Those who look to 1984 as a warning and those who look at 1984 as an instruction manual.

16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

That is just ****ing hilarious.

Sounds just like J-Rod.

Alpha-Red and VadersLaMent like this.
  17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    True that.

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't know, i feel like our president was mostly elected by those who have never read a book.

19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    That's not true. His base have read The Bible - numerous times.

20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Don't be too harsh.

There are plenty good people who have never read a book.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  21. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    You'd be surprised how little a lot of supposed Christians know about the Bible. Not that I believe any of that jazz.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Despite the Protestant Reformation happening partially to dispel this very notion, there are still quite a few denominations on the evangelical (therefore Protestant) side whose congregants still believe that they do not need to or should not read the Bible, just let the “preacher” interpret it for them.

Sadder still is that these “preachers” often have no theological education whatsoever, no context for the original Greek and Hebrew writings of the Bible or the time frame and historical context of it; they have no qualifications other than being “called to preach” and still think they can tell other people what the Bible says or means.

I was raised ELCA Lutheran; ministers who preached at churches that I sat in from birth to my early 30s all had masters of divinity degrees, which required them to read the Bible in Greek and in Hebrew and actually study the context.

The Jesus of Nazareth that most of my family still follows, would not vote for Trump or Roy Moore. In fact the Jesus that I was raised to follow is further to the left than anyone in either mainstream US political party.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Correct. Every single time a shooting is responded to with "This is not the time to discuss gun policy. We need to pray", all I can ever think about is the Epistle of James utterly dismantling their rubbish justifications for doing nothing:
    "Praying" for people, without any interest in possibly being used to answer the prayer and be an agent in resolving their situation, is the opposite of what the book is telling them to do.

24. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Anakinfan is right. Southern Baptist preachers are not required to go to seminary. I think sociology of religion was a better degree for my bachelor's. I learned more about the cultures of the Abrahamic religions and Dharmic religions than the contents of their books.

If people were to actually read the Bible, they would be shocked to find what Lot's daughters did after they inebriated him, all of which is an origin myth for two of Israel's enemies. I bet that most Christians don't know what pre-exilic, exilic, and post-exilic documents are. There's an argument to be made that Zoroasterianism influenced Judaism to evolve from a henotheistic belief system to a monotheistic one, but these topics are not applicable to this thread. Anyhow, there are a great many secular things in these ancient documents.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Noah’s daughters waited for him to get ****faced after they got off the ark, with similar results.

Lot also sold his daughters to some strangers as replacements so the strangers wouldn’t rape his friends.

I do enjoy the New Testament accounts that have Jesus essentially telling the religious establishment of the day to go **** themselves. That aspect of many stories in the Gospels is lost on a lot of people, or when it isn’t lost, it is followed by “but today’s religious establishment isn’t like that!”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.