main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Or like to burn them.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Trump himself is unlikely to have read anything more mentally taxing than a Playboy centrefold....

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm pretty sure Trump hasn't even read his own book. Not that The Art of the Deal is particularly mentally taxing.

4. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I know when he hosted SNL Pete Davidson said Trump didn't seem to be able to read. If you ever watch the video of his deposition where he's asked to read documents he does everything he can to not read them. He's functionally illiterate.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I concur. Tony Schwartz said that he did not believe that Trump had ever read a book in his adult life. He also said Trump lacked the capacity to concentrate for extended periods of time.

I also had seen what Davidson presented. Davidson said that Trump possibly had overlooked a coma and question mark in a sentence. As a result, he allegedly called his daughter, "Turkey Legs." He was supposed to inquire if she wanted to eat turkey legs.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, he said that the only thing Trump is capable of talking about is himself. He also said at one point in the campaign the he wrote TAOTD and that Donald Trump read it.

8. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I hope that after 2018, we no longer have to talk about him in discussions that do not involve historical evaluation. That is not to say that much evaluating needs to be completed, aside from clarifying the accuracy of what psychologists have already opined.

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Al Franken needs to resign-- now. That's all, really. Four women have accused him of inappropriately touching them, and that's just what the number is right now. Yesterday it was at two.

Keith Ellison is likely to be appointed to replace Franken, and that brings up a larger, more important point-- no one is irreplaceable, save perhaps the truly great ones past and present (and there haven't been many of those). There's a lot of great talent waiting to step up, and too frequently never has the chance to become known to a larger audience (or at all).

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    China to invest over $83 Billion in West Virginia, seemingly to transition West Virginia's economy to natural gas

The possible projects in West Virginia include power generation, chemical manufacturing and underground storage of natural gas liquids derivatives. The size of the proposed investment is larger than West Virginia’s gross domestic product last year of $73.4 billion.

11. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Yeah, he's gotta go. And whoever replaced him they need to vet strongly. They need to vet all their candidates.

12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Isn't Keith Ellison the Muslim convert guy? Don't worry, they'll vet him, alright.

13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The USA needs his voting power more than Democrats need self flagellation at this point.

If Franken had done anything like what Moore or Trump has done, I'd agree with you, but my outrage at a comedian/politician's sexism is outweighed by the idea of the Republicans getting their tax reform through, or wiping out healthcare, or doing something even crazier.

14. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

Nonsense. Just because the other party acts unaccountably and has no shame whatsoever doesn't mean the Democratic Party should act in kind. Franken would be replaced by another Democrat and his vote wouldn't go anywhere. There has to be accountability, and that includes Democrats in the House. John Conyers needs to resign as well.

We frequently talk and act like our politicians are somehow irreplaceable. The same is true for business and the arts. There's no shortage of good people ready to step in.

15. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    You speak as if it would be instantaneous, but the time between him stepping out and a replacement stepping in would be a gift to the Republicans, and a betrayal of the American people by the Democrats. The healthcare votes came down to single figures, remember.

I doubt Franken will seek re-election and if he's found guilty in his ethics tribunal he should announce his resignation then, but the Democrats would be irresponsible to diminish their numbers in the meantime to score some hollow moral victory. Democrats can say they have a more ethical party while they let Republicans poison the planet, kill the poor, and strip away the rights of women and non-whites. Yay.

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I remember him appearing on Bill Maher's show and when asked about Trump colluding with Russia he said "no smoke without fire" , which is a really dumb argument and I thought ' that could come back to haunt you '

17. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  19. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
  20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003

Yes. He's the one that Glenn Beck brought onto a national television interview to accuse him of being an Al-Qaeda sleeper agent that needed to prove his loyalty to the US.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    a study funded by the broadband industry found that 98.5 percent of unique comments supported the current rules. Net neutrality supporters organized an "Internet-wide Day of Action to Save Net Neutrality" in July and plan more protests in the coming days as a final vote draws near.

But net neutrality rules have some vocal and influential opponents. The most prominent are Republican politicians and regulators, conservative think tanks, and the Internet service providers that have to follow the rules. Those are the voices that counted most in Pai's decision to eliminate popular consumer protection regulations.

Same old story: almost 99% of regular citizens/consumers want things one way, but the politicians and corporations want it another way; guess which group counts the most.

22. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    The answer to this is that people need to vote, and make sure the politicians they elect, like on other issues important to them, are willing to pass laws protecting their interests.

In other words, a future Democratic Congress and administration need to codify net neutrality back into law, and remove the FCC's authority to do something like this.

On another note, I'm not sure the FCC's push to prevent states from passing their own rules is constitutional. It will certainly be challenged in court. I for one am very interested to see what the so-called "state's rights" conservative majority would have to say on the subject. Traditionally, states have been granted the freedom to regulate at least somewhat beyond *just* what Washington does (at least when running afoul of actual federal laws isn't involved); I'm fascinated to know how the Court would view this issue. The Supremacy Clause is clear that federal law trumps state law (I hate using that expression now), but what about state law and federal regulation? Regulations and laws are not the same thing, and I smell a potentially enormous case with serious lasting national implications brewing.

Of course, with Roberts as Chief Justice, they'll probably just punt, but I'm still insanely curious.

23. Wolfpack5

Wolfpack5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2017
    LOL!!

Speaking as a conservative, anytime you want to implement an IQ test or education requirement in order to be allowed to vote, let me know. I'll support it 100%.
    Translation: It's different when democrats assault women sexually. We need to leave them in office.

Typical.

gezvader28 likes this.
  24. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I look forward to it being challenged in court, Vaderize03.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/23/us/politics/flynn-mueller-russia-trump.html?

Looks like Flynn is moving to cooperate with Mueller's team. Remember that Andrew Weismann was prepared to put the wife of Enron's chief financial officer in prison (along with the CFO himself), which would effectively have made their children orphans (which I mention in the context of Flynn and his son).

Sometimes it feels like a race between Mueller's team and Republicans in Congress. At the same time, I think many (if not most) Republicans in Congress fully believe that their majority is going to be short-lived and are rushing to do as much as they can before Democrats take power again. There's going to be a unified Democratic government again-- every Democratic president since FDR has had one for at least part of their presidency. FDR had one for his entire presidency, though of course we have to remember that southern Democrats acted like Republicans today when it came to civil rights.

Vaderize03 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.