main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Reports of an explosion in New York. Sounds like a pipebomb.

2. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Yes. Suspect in custody. Homemade device. Injuries reported but no word on deaths.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  4. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
  5. Wolfpack5

Wolfpack5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2017
    Um, what? I haven't seen any Jews forced to wear the star, brought to concentration camps or anything like that.

I think you need to learn your history of the holocaust if you think "that very thing (is) happening right here in America." Your hyperbole is offensive.
    Well one thing is for sure: You can't trust anything CNN, CBS, MSNBC say on that matter. They had the fake news report of the year recently with the whole September 4-September 14 fiasco.

What a humiliating moment for the left-wing press. I loved it!
    Do you honestly believe the democrats are any different in that regard?

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    For sake of discussion: who do you trust for news, and why?

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Minor injuries (except for the guy who set off the bomb who apparently has burns due to setting off the bomb), thankfully nobody died.

8. Wolfpack5

Oct 31, 2017
    It depends on the subject matter. If I want to know who won the Steelers game last night, I trust ESPN. If I want to read about a guy who detonated a pipe bomb this morning and learn where it took place, how many were injured, any source is fine. However, when it comes to politically motivated investigations into alleged republican malfeasance, I sure don't trust the agenda driven media. Dan Rather got fired for presenting 40 year old documents "proving" Bush went AWOL, even though those documents were clearly printed using Word for Windows. Brian Ross got suspended (and removed from reporting on Trump) for reporting candidate-Trump essentially committed treason. Then he "clarified" it to say it was actually after the election, and what President-Elect Trump did was perfectly allowed. Now we have CNN frothing at the mouth because some rando sent the Trump campaign an email before the WikiLeaks release, proving collusion. Turns out the email was sent after the WikiLeaks release, not before.

When it comes to the media investigating Trump,they are getting it wrong more often than right so I don't trust them. You shouldn't either.

9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I edited your post back in, because I deleted the double post. Thanks, servers :p I'll respond in a moment.

10. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    You are insanely naive if you think anti-Semitism—institutionalized or otherwise—is limited to forcing one to wear a gold star. At best, that comment is ill-informed; at worst, it’s racist on its face. Anyone with any historical understanding of the buildup to the Holocaust can recognize what is happening in America today, even if you refuse to. Your claim to understand its history is false; your own comments broadcast that fact loud and clear.

And keep your false outrage to yourself. Nobody here is falling for it. As a conservative in 2017, you have no grounds to complain about misinformation in the press or exposure to viewpoints you may find offensive, let alone hyperbole. You may have disagreed with his politics, but Barack Obama was not a narcissistic sociopath. The same cannot be said about Donald J Trump, or the Congressional GOP leadership which continues to enable him.

Have a nice day.

11. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    And what about investigations into alleged Democratic malfeasance? Or news that is either pro-Trump or has nothing to do with him whatsoever? Where do you turn to for news in such cases?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    nikki haley's comments about listening to comrade donald's accusers have led to a new round of "she's great! she should run for president!" cries on the twitter from democrats.

take it from me and my friend rew -

no

anakinfansince1983 and Rew like this.
  13. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Breitbart = sub-human

15. Wolfpack5

Oct 31, 2017
    That's not what I said. Keep your false outrage and ridiculous accusations of racism to yourself.
    I didn't say anti-Semitism is "limited to being forced to wear a gold star". What I said is there are no parallels whatsoever between the US today and Nazi Germany from 80 years ago.

The statement was that "that very thing (is) happening right here in America." Anyone who makes that claim is ignorant of history and it is an offensive statement.

We are talking about anti-Semitism. Ignorning how ridiculous and inaccurate your statement is, what does it have to do with the subject at hand?? If you want to discuss anti-Semitism and Trump you should be aware that Trump is arguably the most pro-Israel President we have had in decades.
    My point is there is no one single source I turn to when it comes to these sorts of things. If Drudge or Fox have banner headlines talking about something Hillary did, I wouldn't trust them either and would want further verification or denial of those reports. I go to a lot of newspaper websites from a lot of cities and would say those are my primary sources of news, but anything political should always be taken with a grain of salt.
    Yet still several level of evolution above Dan Rather.

gezvader28 likes this.
  16. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    You're not very good at avoiding the question

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  18. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    starfish and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  19. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    @Wolfpack5--

That's not what I said. Keep your false outrage and ridiculous accusations of racism to yourself.

I would be happy to if the pot would decide to stop calling the kettle black. Or as Benjamin Franklin famously said "Wipe your finger before you point it at me."

I didn't say anti-Semitism is "limited to being forced to wear a gold star". What I said is there are no parallels whatsoever between the US today and Nazi Germany from 80 years ago.
    The statement was that "that very thing (is) happening right here in America." Anyone who makes that claim is ignorant of history and it is an offensive statement.

And what I said was that your assertion is false. You're limiting parallels to actions, not intent. My point, which you either deliberately missed or failed to recognize, is that anti-Semitism doesn't have to be overt to be present and real.

Examples:

The record number of threats against synagogues and other Jewish centers since Trump took office
    The staggering rise in the activity of white supremacist hate groups in the past year

And the most glaring example, the marchers in Charlottesville shouting "Blood and Soil!" and "Jews will not replace us!" That alone is easily equivalent to the gold star and concentration camps. The fact that no one has done that yet in the US is irrelevant to the assertion being made--the point is, those individuals would if they could. That's what I'm trying to say.

Since you strike me as an intelligent man, I think you understand what I was getting at, which makes your denial(s) suspect and allows one to infer tacit agreement with that point of view. I'm willing to stand corrected, but your statements to date don't seem to bear that out.

We are talking about anti-Semitism. Ignorning how ridiculous and inaccurate your statement is, what does it have to do with the subject at hand?? If you want to discuss anti-Semitism and Trump you should be aware that Trump is arguably the most pro-Israel President we have had in decades.

Odd that you would accuse me of ignorance in the same sentence as the above statement, especially given that support for Israel has absolutely nothing to do with defending America's Jews against violence and anti-Semitism. Trump is not 'pro-Israel', he's pro-evangelical GOP-base voters who believe that Greater Israel has to be reconstituted for the Rapture, and hence the end times, to occur. And if you've read the Book of Revelation, you know that 2/3 of the world's Jews do not survive that time and are condemned to hell; the remaining third convert to Christianity when Jesus returns to begin his 1000-year reign. Or something like that (forgive me if I've got it wrong; I'm Jewish, so my knowledge on this subject is entirely self-taught and may have gaps). That being said, making purely cosmetic statements that actually harm Israel in the long-run doesn't change the fact that Trump has done far more to coddle racists, white supremacists and American nazis than anything he's done for this country's Jews.

And that's a fact.

20. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    This place is a wreck. This is why people need more education.

21. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    A fantastic piece by Josh Marshall @ TPM re: the bad week the press has just had, and how Trump believes he can now declare victory over the MSM by labeling all of the mainstream media outlets "fake news." It also mentions how Republican legislators are beginning to believe Trump's own press (pun intended) and may no longer fear the consequences of allowing Trump to fire Mueller.

It's a strong but disturbing read. If Trump cans Mueller and nothing happens, then America will have become an authoritarian state, and may be truly lost. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There was a similar article a couple of months ago, in the New Yorker I think. Trump has been trying to declare every media outlet not 100 percent flattering to him as “fake news” since before he got elected, and if he can gaslight enough people into believing him, especially regarding the idea that Mueller (a Republican) is somehow a Clintonite and part of a “left-wing conspiracy”, then there may be no consequences if he chooses to fire Mueller. At that point henceforth, the overall law of the land will be exactly what Trump decides that it is.

There is a plan to take to the streets if Trump tries to fire Mueller, with locations set in multiple cities. Hopefully that will make a difference if the time comes, as opposed to Trump pulling a Putin and having our ‘livers spilled in the streets’.

23. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    We're planning to to have another women's march in Dallas on 21 July 2018. There are plans to do so in several cities, and I encourage everyone to come out to show we object to Trump and Republican policies.

24. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What was the political environment like immediately after 9/11? I've heard people say things like, "All Democrats were thought to be Al-Qaeda sympathizers".

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.