main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It was tomorrow. But not anymore.

MrZAP, Ezio Skywalker and tom like this.
  2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    the future isn't what it used to be .

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    but now my next birthday is in the future so you still have something to look forward to.

Ender Sai, Juliet316 and Rew like this.
  4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    happy birthday tom

tom likes this.
  5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

who?

6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    everyone knows who tom is

tom likes this.
  7. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Indeed. I appreciated how the Obama administration elected to treat trans students properly via Title IX (i.e. permitting them to use the restroom of their choice). Fortunately, as a substitute teacher, I haven't encountered anyone mistreating trans students often. However, during two occasions when I did, I gave the bullies detention. It's just like bullying in any other case. It should be unacceptable. Kids have enough to put up with as it is.

heels1785 and Rew like this.
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  12. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    That is some story. I've noticed a bit of a trend when it comes to conservatives changing their mind on homosexuality. They could be against it until the end of time, but if their own kid comes out, then things change.

13. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    At least that shows they're capable of loving their own children. So tragic about the guy's daughter.

14. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Sometimes. Sometimes they just disown the kid. Coming out in that environment is still a crapshoot unfortunately.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Dread Pirate Roberts

Feb 28, 2017
    I'm not denying that happens, but I've never actually seen that. Granted, I don't live in the deep south like Alabama or Mississippi. I've seen it in movies plenty, but I've never seen someone in Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Texas disown there kid for being homosexual.

I see it as a sign of change. Surely 20 years ago they would disown their kids for that. But the country is changing, the south just takes a lot longer. Sometimes about 100 years longer.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    When should we know the results of the election?

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  17. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Polls close at 8pm. Not sure when its official though...

18. Dread Pirate Roberts

Feb 28, 2017
    I heard on NPR it'll be tomorrow afternoon

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Exit polls indicate turnout beneficial to Mr. Moore's campaign.

20. Wolfpack5

Wolfpack5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2017
    I don't follow either of those news sources.
    What is the point you are making? I hope you are not suggesting that a ridiculously small number of morons having a rally means the entire country is ready to open up concentration camps.
    Thank you for the compliment. The thing is that we live in a free society. If a-holes want to have rallies, then a-holes can go have rallies. I don't see a bunch of a-holes with no political sway whatsoever having rallies as indicative as Nazism being "that very thing happening right here in America"

Trump is very pro-Israel. I do not subscribe to the idea that he moved the embassy to satisfy American evangelicals or to satisfy some prophecy that I'm not even sure terribly many Christian branches actually believe.
    So Trump treats the left wing media outlets the exact same way liberals treat right wing media outlets.
    Really? America was more anti-Semitic than the USSR? Give me a break.

gezvader28 likes this.
  21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

We should never talk about turnout without also mentioning the heavy voter suppression tactics employed in Alabama, both in advance of Election Day and on the day itself. Minorities face barriers that most whites do not, and particularly whites with money.

Whether it's ID laws or making active voters suddenly inactive for no merit-based reason or having police show up at polling places to look for outstanding warrants (among other things), there are real barriers in getting Democratic-leaning voters to vote that mostly do not exist for Republican-leaning voters.

For anyone who wants to talk about voter fraud, remember that it's Republicans that keep getting themselves in trouble for voting fraudulently in this country, to the extent it happens at all (which is virtually never).

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Many counties not reporting (1.4%). Jones has a slight lead of just under 3,000 votes.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Anyone who can become President of the United States should be well above “they did it first”, given that there is an age requirement to be at least 35 years old to run for the office.

And it’s one thing if the Huffington Post or TPM do not flatter Trump and he calls them “biased.” It’s quite different for him to make the same accusation directed at newspapers and other publications that were around for decades before he was born. Other Presidents, including other conservative or Republican Presidents, were not making that accusation towards mainstream media outlets, with the possible exception of Nixon, and we all know that the problem there was not the Washington Post. The fact that Trump feels that any news publication that does not flatter him is “fake news” has nothing whatsoever to do with the Washington Post, the New York Times, or the Atlantic and everything to do with Trump himself.

As far as voter suppression in Alabama, the stories I’m hearing today remind me a lot of what I saw personally when North Carolina’s voter ID law was still in effect. I watched a woman being given a hard time because her driver’s license still had her maiden name on it.

24. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Voter suppression is the key, ;like it was in the 2016 election and like it will be going ahead in all elections. It's one of the main reasons why I feel America can go straight to hell and why I hate Conservatives with a passion. They are straight up enemies of Democracy.

Jar-Jar Binks and Yoda's_Roomate like this.
  25. Dread Pirate Roberts

Feb 28, 2017
    Do you separate fiscal conservatives from social conservatives? Or both can go to hell?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.