main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well for example you seem to think getting a photo ID is easy but in Alabama they've been conveniently shutting down DMVs in primarily black neighborhoods "for some reason."

2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    anakinfansince1983 For this night at least, you can put the drinks away! (Unless you're pouring one in celebration, of course. [face_good_luck])

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The only reason for IDs being required to vote is to prevent impersonation/fraud. Neither happens in this country to any statistically significant degree.

There's no meaningful reason to require IDs to vote, unless it's about suppressing the vote.

4. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    appleseed I stand corrected on Voter ID laws being used as a form of suppression. I just did some reading from Slate and Vox, and it appears some the enacters of Voter ID laws in Alabama were quoted saying they intended to repress black voting, calling them aborigines and illiterates... Here is the article.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli.../alabama-voter-suppression-senate-moore-jones

The article claims also that the DMV closures were mostly all in 2015, and have since been reversed. Either way, it does seem to be clear voter suppression. I think I'm too reluctant to believe the worst in people sometimes, but this is pretty awful.

5. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007

I've heard reports of people being forced to vote provisionally because of being taken off the active voter rolls due to mailing shenanigans (reply to this postcard or get taken off, etc.), yes.

6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    A crucial thing to note in this election is the role played by black voters:

[​IMG]

Leave it to people of color to continually save us white people from ourselves.

SateleNovelist11, V-2, B3 and 15 others like this.
  7. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Yowza. I was over in Alabama a few weeks ago and saw maybe three Moore lawn signs and felt a little bit hopeful. Read about some of the GOTV efforts by the NAACP and others earlier today and felt more hopeful. Still pretty amazed.

SateleNovelist11 and Rew like this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I know you've already noted some of the instances where voter ID laws are clearly aimed at suppressing votes, so I don't want to take you to task for anything you said in this post I'm quoting, but I did want to highlight this one line just so I could make a statement. I get what you're saying about the inability being the least of someone's problems if they can't afford a photo ID; however, I would just point out that voting is maybe the only recourse that person has when it comes to seeing a lot of their problems get fixed.

And I'm glad to see appleseed being glad about this election. I'm not going to try to tell you everything is fixed because of this election and it remains troubling just how hard it was to get a victory for Jones when it should have been a slam-dunk, but we can savor every victory we get. :)

9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's also a fundamental right. We're not talking about someone being unable to watch the latest season of Stranger Things.

Sauntaero, V-2, B3 and 8 others like this.
  10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I think Senator Shelby's TV appearance on Sunday helped Doug Jones out a lot. I suspect it gave implicit permission to many Republicans to either vote for Jones or to stay home. Between that and write-in votes, I think that's the margin of victory right there. Of course, on the flip side, it may be that it just helped make up for lost would-be Jones votes that weren't cast due to voter suppression.

Either way, I think Shelby was glad to damage Moore's chances.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Also if an ID is so important maybe it shouldn't be "Who can't pay $20?", maybe it should be "Why should anyone have to pay?"

Or, for that matter, wait for entirely too long at pathetically understaffed DMVs?

Valairy Scot, Sauntaero, V-2 and 13 others like this.
  12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    That understaffing is intentional, of course, and points back to much of the problem that most people say they have with government, which is that it's inefficient, wasteful, etc. A large part of that comes from being starved of financial resources to be efficient. Obviously, there's a point where more money wouldn't help. It's safe to say that most governmental agencies are not at that point, particularly at the local level.

Sauntaero, V-2 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I love it when I wake up in the morning and it's Christmas come early :D

Dread Pirate Roberts (going back to an earlier conversation) One reason it's easy to find overlap between social conservatives and fiscal conservatives IMO is the fact that you'll often find that moralising concepts such as the deserving poor vs the undeserving poor underlie fiscal conservatism, and these concepts usually (but not always) come as part of an ideology that defines what it means to be a "good" citizen and community member in socially conservative terms. I do think however that the overlap was greater in the past than it is nowadays.

About the need for a national ID, I firmly believe that everyone should have one but that the process to obtain it should be 1. simple and 2. free of charge. Even here in the labyrinth of Greek bureaucracy you can get an ID card in less than half an hour from your local police station. You only have to provide the most basic, easily accessible documents, and in the past you also had to bring along two witnesses the first time you got one. You only have to pay if you're replacing a lost ID, and even then it's an entirely symbolic amount, in the order of 2-3 euros.

14. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Another insidious form of voter suppression can be seen in these results: denying the vote to people in prison, to felons, or making it very it very difficult to regain the right.

Black males made up only 11% of the electorate while Black women made up 17% (a 50% greater turnout) most likely because so many black men are disenfranchised in this way.

[​IMG]

SateleNovelist11, B3, Rew and 5 others like this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  16. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Holy ----! I guess I ought to be happy that Jones won, but look at that chart! It's bad enough I've felt guilty for being an American my entire adult life (living in an empire, and all that...). Now I feel just as badly for being white!

To all minorities: I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry that 65-70% of my Southern brethren voted for a ----ing pedophile and white supremacist.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I would be curious as to the turnout for this vote as compared to the Presidential election. I am wondering if this might be an indicator that voters in this country learned their lesson and intend to turn out, rather than take this as a reaction to Moore.

Juliet316, Rew and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Never have I been so happy to be wrong. You just backed the loser down in Alabama, twice.

Suck on that, Mr Trump.

19. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    That would end him. If the GOP ignored that after tonight, they’d be wiped out next November in both houses of Congress. Won’t stop the Orange Cheeto from trying, though.

Sorry for the double-post, I’m just so damn happy right now.

Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.
  20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Great shot across the bow tonight. Glad that exit poll turnout data was misleading.

Congrats, Senator-Elect Jones.

21. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Make Liberalism Great Again :D

One Senate seat at a time.

Pensivia likes this.
  22. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I don‘t see how anyone can be overly happy about this result. When push comes to shove, a racist, homophobic, misogynistic bigot who has twice been suspended for essentially ignoring the Constitution lost by a whisker because he chased after teenage girls at the mall. Leave out that last detail and he would have won.

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Moore refuses to concede per CNBC.

24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I fully expected to wake and find Alabama elected a racist, misogynistic, homophobic pedophile. Color me surprised.

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, I stopped paying attention to the news because I was expecting it to go the other way. And it was still really close (50% to 49% or something like that?), which says something, but still, good news! Ironically if Luther had been the candidate Jones would never have had a chance.

Wow, a Democrat from Alabama. I just hope they actually seat him and don't stall him forever from the Senate. They'll be in even more of a rush to rob the middle class with a smaller margin of error now), not to mention various other voter suppression schemes. Good news for once, even though it took long odds. Here's hoping for 2018 and 2020.

Tomorrow is sure going to be a busy day on Twitter, Trump will either be busy deleting pro-Moore tweets and/or he'll come up with some other distraction (like lowering rich people taxes isn't enough of a distraction already).

Juliet316 and Pensivia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.