main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    ......OK.

SuperWatto likes this.
  2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    KWISATZ HADERACH!

Vaderize03 and MrZAP like this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Sarah Huckabee called Democrats obstructionist losers. Trump just tweeted as I typed this. Of course it's the Dems fault and of course we need more Republicans to solve it in 2018.

4. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Now that the government is shut down, I bet Trump is saying to himself "So I guess I don't have to do anything until it starts up again. Time to watch some Netflix. I need to catch up on Peaky Blinders".

Darth Punk likes this.
  5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Trump would never watch something as "cerebral" as peaky blinders

He'll find a Duck Dynasty for policy ideas

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Don't be ridiculous. This just means that now instead of only spending the weekend golfing now he can golf seven days a week. :p

7. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Heh...he probably thinks shutting down the government would stop the investigation.

8. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    It will if the Democrats get blamed for this and his poll numbers (and Republicans in general) improve enough to give them cover to halt the investigation.

Remember, his numbers have been climbing this week. It remains to be seen how this will affect them. He’s at his best with his base when he has an enemy, and right now, that’s the Democratic Party writ large.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    His base has thought the investigation was a giant conspiracy theory since it started, complained that Mueller is a Clinton stooge and should be fired. I don’t know that this will have an effect unless running out of money halts it.

Which sets a pretty bad precedent. Assuming we get past this, the next corrupt-as-hell President will just have to force a government shutdown to keep himself or herself from being investigated.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There is some memo floating around about how horrible and corrupt the Mueller investigation is. It was supposed to be this nail in the coffin. Turns out it was simply written up by GOP staffers after it was all over right wing news for a week.

11. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Not surprised.

On another note, I’m interested to see how the markets react to the shutdown. My guess is they’ll shrug it off initially, but if goes more than a couple days, it could be a jolt to Wall Street. One thing that definitely *will* spook markets is if there’s a fight over the debt ceiling, which needs to be raised sometime next month.

Giddyup!

12. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    The US inability to govern itself properly is already priced into the markets. I doubt they'll flicker an eyelid over this.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    What's going on with the stock market should be very, very concerning for everyone right now.

Every single time that the stock market has been rising up this crazy, it's led to a major crash. Every time. And no one ever learns anything. Case in point - financial experts are fully aware of past instances. So how are they justifying continuing to invest? Why, invent a new term! Yes, this endless, never-coming-down rise of the stock market is being called a 'melt-up'. Get it? It's the opposite of a meltdown.

Yeah, the economy is screwed. As inevitable as it is, hopefully it'll happen before the elections this year.

14. Yoda's_Roomate

Feb 8, 2000
    I think the Democrats should just nonstop remind people that this is GOP controlled government. Its their ship and they put a lunatic as captain. Their responsibility.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I agree. The possibility of shutdown has been known for awhile now.

DANNASUK likes this.
  16. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    This. It shouldn’t be their only message, but it needs to be a big one.

EDIT: a shutdown is priced in (as long as it’s short) but not a debt showdown. You can’t really plan for that.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Yoda's_Roomate

Feb 8, 2000
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

Do not underestimate the power of Trump's supporters, or suffer Hillary's fate you will.

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Shutdowns have been discussed ever since the campaign.

20. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Absolutely this. If you know anything about the markets, you know this to be true. They don’t like government shutdowns, but they’ve learned to live with them. The debt ceiling is where they really start to panic. If the United States chooses to default on its debt, I can’t tell you how much that would damage our credit score. It would tell the rest of the world never to lend money to the United States, because they will never pay you back. And that would cause the markets to freak out.

Shutdowns are basically considered normal. Threatening not to raise the debt ceiling is considered the nuclear option.

Vaderize03 and Darth Nerdling like this.
  21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The equivalent of "Not it!".

22. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    A tweet for every occasion

23. Yoda's_Roomate

Feb 8, 2000
  24. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I agree. **** babies, taking our resources. Life for the already living!

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    What did the first lady say about it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.