main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Lost in all of this is that Porter was apparently dating Hope Hicks, who reportedly wrote Kelly's first statement about Porter.

2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    And the Rand Paul Shutdown begins.

This is the best gift to give Democrats. Now that the government is shutdown and the House passing the bill was not certain to begin with, I do think Pelosi and her caucus might be able to successfully pressure a vote on immigration out of Ryan. This one is a Republican shutdown but Democrats don't need to suddenly fall in line either. Paul shut it down and that is what people will remember. The GOP couldn't prevent its own party from shutting down the government. It's worse than the 1st shut down because of that alone. And with immigration not guaranteed, I see Pelosi starting to whip her caucus into withholding votes until Ryan yields. This time, played right, the momentum is with the Democrats if they so choose.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Darth Nerdling likes this.
  3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, apparently Porter doesn't have a permanent security clearance due to the FBI flagging this back in... November? And he's dating Hicks too on top of that. Not like she might have a conflict of interest, no, in other (more competent) administrations that would be a liability, but with Trump that's a good trait to have.

Aside from Rand Paul causing trouble (as usual) do they even have the votes in the House? Since even in the "best" case (well, by today's very low standards), the government has shut down at midnight, then the Senate could vote, then send the bill over to the House and then it would go to Trump, so maybe by Friday morning the government could be open again. Unless it fails in the House. Though the House Democrats probably won't hold up the bill over DACA, can never tell with the Republicans.

Ryan keeps going on about how he won't allow a DACA vote without Trump's support, that he won't risk a veto. Which is stupid because 1) Trump changes his mind often and 2) if he's going to just let the president dictate things, why bother having a House of Representatives? Not that the Republican Congress has been all that productive, so that's normal for them.

Paul and the Freedom Caucus just have the same old complaints- how dare the government spend money on domestic projects when the debt is so high? What they really mean is how dare the government waste money on non-rich people? Since they had no problem with the tax scam last November. And some of that disaster relief money might even go to Puerto Rico, rather than Texas and Florida. Not that I'm sure if the Senate deal is a great (or even decent) bill, but their complaints are just silly.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Yep same ol gop shtick.....give their rich donors huge tax breaks.....Now Middle-Class and Poor people, give us your Health Care and Social Security money to pay for it!!!

And if the democrats want to be anything other than just a party that cleans up gop messes....they better start learning to drive that message better

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So you don't have a functioning government?

Hm.

Should I just tell you what life in the first world is like, Muricans?

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    There is no future or hope with this stupid government. Better for North Korea to nuke us all and get over with.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well... at least I wouldn't have to finish paying off my student loans...

I'd still prefer the nonextra crispy option though.;)

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I second everything that was said to condemn the oppressors by this mod. We condemn Rob Porter, Trump, and all those abusers who have, or hitherto should, resign.

And I also sympathize with what PointGiven was saying, too. That's all I'm going to say for now. It's been a taxing week, and I only feel bad when I watch the news.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    appleseed likes this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yep, that 5 1/2 hour shut down will be the thing that tips the balance.

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Always amusing to see those small government conservative support massive increase in state spending *thumbs up*

11. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    And now for today's stupid news from the Trump administration. EPA boss Scott Pruitt says global warming may be beneficial to humans. And, in classic Trumpian fashion:

Under Pruitt’s leadership, the EPA is mulling whether to stage a televised “red team blue team” debate between climate scientists and those who deny the established science that human activity is warming the planet.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-says-global-warming-may-help-humans-flourish

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Shutdown averted (although this wasn't the final budget vote) I figured as much when Ron Paul was the central figure; a Republican being blamed for the shutdown isn't the narrative Trump and company wanted.
    Also the 1000 point Dow drop has some economists questioning whether a stimulus package for a healthy economy wasn't the best idea. Keep watching, folks. The ride ain't over (But don't expect a crash
    .... yet)

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, share the political brilliance required to call for a referendum you didn’t have to buy which blows up your economy, all because you were craven enough to prioritize appeasing the far right wing of your party over acting responsibly, as if mainting your party’s control over the country was the only option we could contemplate.

Tell us how ill-tempered, fawning Australians will still rush to hail you as a great and wise leader regardless.

14. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Are you serious?

If we’re gonna have a “red team/blue team” debate, let’s do it over the existence of gravity. Much more interesting than the overwhelming consensus that exists on climate change.

V-2 likes this.
  15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    oh thanks , I'll have that image all day now . :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Bring it.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    @J-Rod, what are your thoughts on the Rob Porter situation, his resignation and Trump's comments on him?

18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    DEAD DOVE, DO NOT EAT

19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Probably that Trump is right, Porter does say he is innocent, and he has been convicted of nothing. It doesn't matter that he thinks Cosby guilty under the same circumstance. Rodderz loves his "Criteria of Convenience™"

Plus he's more than happy that a serial rapist is president, what's a little physical and verbal abuse?

appleseed and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  20. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I mean, what else would you expect from Spray Tan Rahowa’s nodding donkey?

Juliet316 and Diggy like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree. Should be great comedy. Even greater when Trevor Noah gets hold of it.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Trump's quest for revanchism continues with a replay of the Scopes Monkey Trial.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    and she also had some sort of relationship with Corey Lewandowski.....so um she needs some help in dating judgement

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Rachel Brand, the #3 at the DoJ (behind Sessions and Rosenstein), has unexpectedly left the job

Vaderize03 and Luke02 like this.
  25. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Got my eye on Gowdy...and his recent so called declaration of departure...perhaps trump told him there was a new opening coming that he would like him to fill.

Sessions compliments of Rosenstein/Brand and Gowdys tiny pushback on the memo felt like phony theater to claim they aren't biased when Trump makes his moves on the SC.

heels1785 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.