main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I guess I have to ask what you're talking about, because this sounds like random thoughts that have nothing to do with anything.

If you're not saying anything about the needy, then who or what are you saying anything about? Generally speaking, I'm pretty sure the vast amount of government welfare goes to the needy. Who is being looked after? The needy. So what are you talking about? Military expenses? I know you agree we need that. Infrastructure? Pretty sure we need that. The tiny amount we spend on education? I wish we spent more. The tiny amount spent on transportation? I wish we spent more. The tiny amount spent on research? Can't say I have a problem with that.

Yeah, sure, society is happier and more satisfied taking care of themselves instead of having the government look after them. But, again, what is the point of this comment? You're talking as if we live in some world where the government takes care of ALL of us like little children, when that's nowhere near the case. Who does the government take care of? Those who cannot quite take care of themselves in some fashion. The government does this with our consent (to some extent, I know there are some who do not give their consent), not as some nanny robot that functions with no input or desire from us.

How is the government hobbling you? Does a government built robot kick you in the back of the legs every day? I have never felt even slightly hobbled by the government (when have you?), but maybe that's because I don't consider paying taxes to take care of those who cannot take care of themselves a hindrance, I strongly approve. In this case, the government is carrying out my wishes for me by taking my taxes and giving it to those in need, spreading it out in a fashion probably more fairly and effectively than I could, and taking zero of my time or effort. So maybe instead of thinking of taxes as hindering, think of them spreading your charity out for you, and funding your military and infrastructure.

I await your articulate response about how taxes somehow ruin opportunity and welfare makes people lazy.

2. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Forget one:

15. Senator Wyden is asking the Treasury Department to turn over records of a lucrative real estate sale Donald Trump made to a Russian billionaire as the Senate Finance Committee looks into Trump's ties to Russians.

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    DP

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    So it turns out the "Not my President" rallies (which I thought were ludicrous at the time) were organised by Russian operatives. Brilliant.

[​IMG]

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    [face_laugh][face_laugh]

That’s awesome. The Charlotte Against Trump group was really ****ing terrible and should have been entitled “Charlotte Against Bernie Sanders” because all the group did was complain that Bernie Sanders was the biggest threat to democracy and we should all love Hillary Clinton and any statewide candidate that supported her. If a Russiabot organization ran that group...that’s even better than I imagined.

I don’t remember any such rally, and I was most certainly paying attention.

Rew, Jedi Merkurian and Vaderize03 like this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    One of the oddest parts I've read yet:

[​IMG]

and

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/16/mueller-indictment-hillary-clinton-key-findings-415692

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    @anakinfansince1983

A *very* long thread of tweets, but I believe it is something you'll find very interesting to read

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Apparently the media is asking for the photo of Trump signing the bill making it easier for mentally ill people to acquire guns, and the White House is refusing to release it. LOL

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Of course they are. They don't want to show what an imbecile he truly is, I mean those doing mental gymnastics to defend him might start thinking with logic and compassion.

10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    There's no arguing with Orange Dog Republicans.

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Apparently that wasn't one of the more publicized executive orders? Well, even if Trump had forgotten to sign that executive order (as occasionally Pence has to remind him to go back and actually sign things as he's too busy demanding attention), it probably wouldn't have been enough. Guess his staff already knew that would blow back on them eventually which is why there aren't more pictures of it.

So Trump stopped by the Parkland area briefly, convenient for him that its in the same state that he vacations in every weekend. Haven't heard him talk about the victims much, just praise for the first responders. Those people do deserve praise, but I expect Trump only talks about them as an indirect way of praising himself (its all thanks to his administration... yeah right).

They should just tape his teleprompter speech ("This is a sad day, people are sad because of bad things, MAGA) and replay at the next national tragedy, that would save them time. Not like he actually cares or puts much effort into it, he just says the same thing for every disaster (mass shooting, hurricane, etc.). You can tell he actually cares about a subject when he shows energy (like the Russia thing, or how Hillary and Obama aren't in jail yet, etc.).

12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    You know I'm looking around and thinking - some of you sound a bit Russian . . .

. . . .

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I guess I went a little overboard posting pictures of knife wielding women and blew my cover.

14. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    A list of all bad things Trump this week.

Sad thing is, his poll numbers continue to rise. Or at least they still were as of yesterday. We’ll see what next week brings (although I’m not expecting much).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  15. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    His base is happy, Republican voters are happy with him, the economy hasn't jumped off a cliff and Trump continues to be hard on immigration.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I'd rather have tax money spent towards helping people and infrastructure over military defense, any day of the week.

More like it'd be viewed as hypocritical since he himself is mentally unfit and that's the PC way of saying it. My way begins with the letter R.

Da. I mean, yes.

17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
  18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    That's why it was so easy for the Ruskies; Americans naturally flock to conspiracy theories, which makes it so easy to spread disinformation.

19. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    It's easy to fool fools.

20. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Yeah but it SUCKS being surrounded by them.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  22. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    That's some damning stuff right there. I suppose Congress will try plugging their ears and humming for a while, but I doubt the issue is going to go away.

Edit: I've been following the comments on this NPR article closely:
    Mueller Indictment Of Russian Operatives Details Playbook Of Information Warfare

I'm curious about what people think of this comment:
    I have sincere doubts that any of the major players will be found guilty in court, but I also doubt that the US is going to roll over and go back to sleep after this.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    "Social media is bad for influencing others" writes person on social media to influence others.

24. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    so you mean all those trumpers on facebook with profile pictures of birds, dogs, cats and nothing were russians?

whowouldathought
    i'm beginning to wonder if there will be a real change in social media after this.

25. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I've read some opinion pieces about how the government might step in and start suppressing online speech if social media companies can't or won't get a handle on the troll problem. Government intervention doesn't sound very feasible to me, but it's something to be concerned about.

Juliet316 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.