main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    V-03, KW, you're starting to sound like Luke02. And coming from you it holds more weight because you're usually more careful. So you'd better be right!

Juliet316 and DANNASUK like this.
  2. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I’m hopeful. I’m hopeful that something changes this time. I’m hopeful that there is a wave this fall and that it’s being underreported in the press.

I’m also realistic. The NRA has a tremendous amount of money and influence, and that won’t be easy to break (nor will it happen quickly). But what I’m most cautiously optimistic about is Trump being the gift that keeps on giving for Democrats. Assuming they can coalesce around an optimistic, far reaching message, as well as heal their internal divisions, the ground may—I emphasize may—be ripe for a progressive resurgence.

And while I admire Luke’s optimism, I’ve learned to be more careful. He sounds a lot like I did back in 2016, and we all know how that turned out.

By the way, Schiff’s redacted memo has just been released, on a Saturday that also happens to be the last day of the Winter Olympics. Who wants to bet the story doesn’t die by Monday?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  3. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    You know, when I was a kid and there was a wild story in the press - anything outrageous - you could guess the story came from the US. In fact, I think most papers had someone who watched American news for outrageous stuff. To bring some levity. TV news would, now and again, end with some stupid story from, of course, the US. It was standard.

What was also standard was that when there was a mass shooting, it was in the US. That stuff happened nowhere else.

Ever since then, I guess I met quite a few Americans, especially on here. Good people, by and large. Normal people. Not the people you'd read about in the news. I had to slighly change my impression of Americans.
    At the same time, mass shootings have increased drastically. Moreover, they've become an inspiration for aspiring mass murderers abroad. Meanwhile, the crazy part of the US has invaded Iraq and Afghanistan and let loose some demons there, so now we're threatened from two sides. And now they've elected a baboon.

And then I see these kids from Florida. And my heart ****ing breaks, man. They deserve better. Make America great. Not again, but for a change.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Donald Trump blew an easy opportunity with Charlottesville.

This wasn't easy, but he had a chance to do something really great after Parkland. Looks like he blew this chance, too.

Still not too late. The opportunity, the support, is there. He has a chance to be a great President. He can make America better right now. It's sad that he's letting these opportunities pass him by, sad that he doesn't have the sense to capitalize on them. If it were real estate or some beautiful *****, I'm sure he would have moved on it like a *****.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Donald Trump is not the absolute monarch of the United States. I very much doubt that the GOP Congress would budge no matter what he says. Barack Obama advocated for gun control, openly wept about massacres for pretty much the entirety of his presidency and nothing really happened. Yeah, he was a black Democrat, but there are factors far beyond what the man in the White House wants, particularly if the man is not especially popular or [insert positive trait here].

If things change, it will be because of people like the Parkland kids, not old men in suits.

6. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    That's one for posterity

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Fake news!

8. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    SO ILLEGAL

9. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    When I see those young people from Florida, I am in awe. They are smart, they are articulate and most importantly they are incredibly, incredibly brave. They are setting a standard that all of us, in the US and elsewhere, should hold ourselves to, not only as teenagers but also as grown adults.

I know for a fact that I'll never be as courageous as them, so all I can do is bow.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    At least there was no alternative running in 2016 to both Clinton and Trump with a history of being gun-friendly.

11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Absolutely.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/parkland-survivor-trump-unimpressed_us_5a8fc5f0e4b01e9e56ba318a

Juliet316 and Yoda's_Roomate like this.
  12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Make China Great Again

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  14. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I guess we're not making America so great.

Not that it means much, but still, it's nice to see that the public is responding appropriately to the disaster that's been the past several weeks of Trump, as opposed to the "Republicans are coming back" narrative that the MSM was promoting back in January.

I'm hoping for an early birthday present next Tuesday with Conor Lamb, too. Maybe this will help.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Tigger the Tiger was the best character in those stories and Barack Obama’s is the best world leader, so on that basis for the analogy I agree.

16. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I wonder if the people of Yemen and north west Pakistan agree with you.

17. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    This could be a problem.

The thing is, worker's rights and collective bargaining is something the Democrats should coalesce around if they want to win back Midwestern voters. Yet those same voters will continue to back a President who appoints judges that will ultimately screw them over in favor of the billionaire class. Neil Gorsuch will be the fifth vote to end the collection of union dues from non-members.

I swear, it feels so much like what I've read about the 1920's it's scary. Not just in America, but around the world. And we all know what happened next.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Democrats couldn't give a monkeys about workers rights; the only time they focus on unions is when the party piggy bank needs a few coins. Which is ironic because that source of income is potentially under threat.

This is not the 1920s, regarding labour rights. Far from it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I admire those young teenagers! Even if I live in Canada and shouldn't feel concerned about gun safety laws since we already have these here, I can not help but to encourage those youngsters to go forward and push things to change in the U.S. :

Darth Nerdling, V-2, starfish and 3 others like this.
  20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Vaderize03

I really think it will all come to ahead after 3/14/18. I really think Trump and the GOP have no idea how massive the "march for our lives" walkout is going to be. So much it got floated out that they might just cancel school (they won't but it was floated out there) since even though it is only planned for seventeen minutes, so many students are planning on staying out the whole day to show support for the march on Washington that we could be teaching to empty classrooms like when the Cubs had their WS parade that what be the point? Therefore I think the insanity of the walkout which very likely will be the biggest ever and the aftermath of it (wall to wall news coverage) will send Trump and his cronies over the edge. They slowly been "punching back" at these kids during CPAC (what a disaster that has been!) and like I been saying, dollars to donuts says by that Sunday, DJT will finally lose it for good and start going after these poor kids. Then America will be faced with the fact that their president verbally assaulted kids who were victims of a mass shooter. If that doesnt' get enough attention, then nothing will.

As it is Trump is in a world of hurt for all kinds of reasons...including the fact that gas prices are going to skyrocket this summer thanks to inflation.

21. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    *blows the dust of @Lord Vivec's chart*

>Donald Trump won't run

>Donald Trump won't win the GOP nomination

>Donald Trump won't win the presidency

>Donald Trump won't finish his first term

>Donald Trump won't win reelection (You are Here)

>Donald Trump won't finish his second term

>Donald Trump won't step down in 2024

22. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    The Women’s Marches were huge too. And international. He hasn’t changed his behavior yet ;).

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Vaderize03

Oh Trump is a lost cause I am talking about the general public. I think even for some Trumpsters, watching him and the far right (CPAC crowd) attack a bunch of kids who were slaughtered in their own school will be "enough is enough".

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Trump actually had the gall to suggest that those of us marching in the Women’s March should be thanking him. **** you, ***hole, you have not raised MY wages and have done all you could to degrade my profession (up to and including the appointment of Betsy DeVos) and all it stands for.

I could see him doing something similar to the kids, saying they should thank him for something he did not do.

25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Vaderize03

Oh Trump is a lost cause I am talking about the general public. I think even for some Trumpsters, watching him and the far right (CPAC crowd) attack a bunch of kids who were slaughtered in their own school will be "enough is enough". At least that is what I hope. I think you are starting to see that. The response to CPAC even among some Republicans as been total anger. Not enough obviously as too many are still buying the red kool-aid but some eyes are starting to FINALLY open up.

Mexican president btw cancelled his visit here. Why? Because Trump insisted on the phone late last week that the wall will be paid for by Mexico. He is making friends fast in the international community. *eyes roll*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.