main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @Vaderize03

The Russia-Iran alliance is the reason why I think it will be NK in the end that Trump and Bolton will want to bomb. Trump will blame the “failed negotiations” he has with KJU in the spring and by August will be bombing. Seoul would be obviously be caught in the worst crossfire since WWII but what does Trump care?

And as we speak, Trump signed the spending bill he vented about only a few hours ago. Guess Thursday Trump showed up to the press conference.

2. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  3. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Dude, I agree with you. Your point is that the system needs to change, and that can’t happen until we acknowledge its flaws. My point is that this won’t happen until he does something that has real, take-home consequences for the American people. He has already lost many of the “reluctant Trump” voters (such as Obama Democrats who refused to vote for Hillary); it’s just a question of what will motivate the remainder of the country to fully unite against him.

You are correct in that nothing will dislodge his base, but they are still a minority. It will take a major event to drive enough anti-Trump turnout to overcome Republican gerrymandering, but it is possible. I think a war with Iran or North Korea will just such a catalyst, especially if it hits on American soil. My entire point is that this is where we seem to be heading. The Iraq war was a “video game” for many—a war with Iran and/or North Korea won’t be.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    A war, which has a direct impact on US soil (are you talking attacks?) will result in martial law. Under that scenario, Trump becomes a dictator.

Games over at that point.

US voter turnout is shockingly low. Americans really don't give a **** and that's the heart of the problem. I know I keep returning to this point, but why hasn't there been major civil unrest? Go and look throughout the last decade or so, where countries President's have been investigated for corruption/abuse of power, there has been some form of consistent popular protest movement. Where are the protests in the United States capital? the sittings? Your President is accused of being a puppet, for a foreign power, and nobody has decided to march on Washington and bring the city to a standstill? Would've happened elsewhere.

IF we're at the stage, where we are hoping for a major war and direct attack on the United States, to finally bring people out in opposition then we've passed the point of no return a long, long time ago.

(usually, in times of war, the population will rally behind a leader - if the country is attacked)

Violent Violet Menace and Rew like this.
  5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    there are a lot of reasons. for one, our country is so ****ed that it's hard to know what to protest. tomorrow millions will march, but it will be gun violence that they are taking a stand against, not trump. people tend to be rallied to a cause when it's something close to their hearts, something that has a tangible effect on their lives. trump being investigated for corruption hasn't really had that effect for the most part. another huge reason is definitely apathy, the same reason people didn't vote. people assumed we'd get hillary as president and she'd be terrible and then both the left and the right could complain about her and do little more. maybe she'd be under some form of investigation too, who knows. one thing's for sure, as bad as trump is (and he truly is like an angry toddler), americans lack a clearly better alternative and probably wouldn't be able to agree on one if it was staring them in the face.

6. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    1) Because, first of all, Trump as a puppet is fiction.

2) There is no real civil unrest because of point one. And we are all employed. Everyone who wants a job is working and we are feeding our families and paying our bills and saving for retirement. This isn't the situation is Greece or Venezuela.

That's why they riot.

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Poor Betsy DeVos cannot catch a break:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/22/politics/congress-betsy-devos-spending-bill/index.html

Guess she will go back to doing....whatever she is doing. *shrugs*

Trump did have some great quotes in his "press conference": “The tanker aircraft is very important based on..........(struggles to read word)....well based on everything.”

The tanker aircraft is important. Cutting edge stuff there Mr. President!

8. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    @J-Rod

I was commenting on the narrative of Trump opponents and the lack of action to match the rhetoric.

9. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding? The actions don't match the rhetoric because the reality doesn't match the rhetoric.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    comrade donald catching a ****storm from his right flank for signing this spending bill.

shame.

11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    You are misunderstanding my point :)

J-Rod likes this.
  12. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    On the Bolton appointment and Trump's comments on Iraq,worth keeping in mind a big issue W campaigned on was that the US should not be involved in nation building. Good times.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Though the whole post had tinged of it, this is hyperbolic and ridiculous. Trump certainly has fans. They would call in to talk radio or even vote in a Republican primary.

There are no “millions” ready to hit any “streets” on his behalf.

14. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Let's see what happens if/when someone tries to impeach Trump.

Revyl Ren likes this.
  15. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Only a serious economic collapse would get people out. Obama's economy is what is propping Trump up.

16. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    In that case, people would be out for different reasons - looting, rioting, etc.

17. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Nothing will happen. Impeachment is a process, not a moment, and a long one at that. People will get fired up, then it will all die down. Remember, America is not a country with a long history of national riots. The last time anything remotely resembling what you’re calling for was the Vietnam War, and that was decades ago. Unless he’s caught on tape promising Vladimir Putin the nuclear codes, impeachment will not be the way out of this.

In regards to martial law, in the absence of a nuke going off on American soil, I don’t see it happening. Americans may be apathetic as ****, but kowtowing to a would-be domestic dictator—especially one as unpopular as Trump—is not in our collective DNA. At the very least, corporate America would put extreme pressure on Congress to remove him, markets would tank, and marches would give way to boycotts. And that’s assuming the military would be willing to follow his orders. If he tried to impose martial law without a true crisis, I’m not sure they would.

18. keynote23

keynote23 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 26, 2006
    Admitting it isn't the issue and serves little purpose anyway.

It's where you're supposed to evolve from here that's the issue. If you don't have a line on that you have nothing. An admission that the old system is broken only works in your favour when you have a plan on how to fix or better it.

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Hard to fix something, which is dead.

That's my point.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It’s a dumb point. Largely because, as ugly as this is, the system is hardly “dead.”

And in fact, insofar as it is dysfunctional, it is so in a way that the British political system is particularly vulnerable to as well: relying on custom to restrain and compel people in the roles necessary for smooth function, when there are people too uncouth to be thusly restrained.

V-2, Darth Nerdling and CT-867-5309 like this.
  21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Little-Ender .

V-2 and Violent Violet Menace like this.
  22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Trumps tweets don't age very well, do they?

[​IMG]

Also: A man has been arrested for threatening to kill Congressman Scott Taylor. Taylor's one of the local representatives for my district (he took the seat that was vacated by Scott Rigell in 2016). He's also a former Navy SEAL.

23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Oh please, Wocky.

The British system is no where near as dysfunctional as the United States; our constitution, albeit uncodified, actually works for a start and each branch of government is doing its job.
    Strangely enough we engage in something called "constitutional reform" and routinely update/change parts to ensure the system still works. Like, you know, mature adults.

So, pickle, next question?

FatBurt likes this.
  24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    BRUMP

25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I have no idea what BRUMP means, Watto

Thread Status: