main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    After seeing that clip of Trump blaming the Democrats for putting kids in cages, I have one question. One thing I truly don't understand.

Why don't American journalists have the guts to say "Hey Trump, that's a filthy lie. You are lying. Now give us a real ****ing answer!"?
    It's what would have happened here. If our prime minister was caught in such an awful, disgusting lie, he would be called out on it immediately - to his face. And not with the "respectful" words used by American journalists that allows him to just reiterate the same lie.

This is a constant problem with the American media. Scathing commentaries when not talking to the people in power, but as soon as the president (regardless of president), a senator, congressperson, or whatever is interviewed, the reporters use kid gloves.

Sauntaero, V-2, CT-867-5309 and 10 others like this.
  2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Did the president by accident watch Iron Sky while flying with the AF1 thinking it is a docu?
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034314/

3. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    For the 7th time......... I DO NOT SUPPORT THE SEPARATING OF CHILDREN FROM FAMILY'S.

It's like some on here are desperate for a enemy to project there hate on they are ignoring what actually being said to create a symbol of what you hate .
    Someone comes along and shows views the mob don't quite agree with and so they project everything they don't like even though that person doesn't nessersarly subscibe to those views because the mob desperately needs a scapegoat for there anger.

J-Rod likes this.
  4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Translate: If he did it, it is correct. With that line of thinking, there is no possible scandal or change of policy that will lead to repudiation.

5. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Because conservatives have been screeching about "LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS" endlessly, and journalists feel bad and think "oh they must be right", so they bend over backwards to appease the conservatives and broadcast their propaganda in the name of "balance".

Haven't really been following this particular conversation the past few pages, but I have to say you did not win a whole lot of sympathy points from me by typing that. On top of that, I'd say you just perfectly described Trump supporters...not liberals. But okay, if you don't agree with the Trump administration's border policies, then maybe you should explain clearly what exactly your position is.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Here's some Liberal bias, also known as facts.

Trump says crime is way up in Europe because of immigration policies. Well, it isn't.

7. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    I thought the USA already had a space command based out of fort Vandenberg? Why is trump making another one?

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Damn, forgot this bit of crazy as well.

Apparently those kids have to be separated because they are having sex

Those godless 10 year old(and under) criminals.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's not it though. The media acts the same with more or less every person with any sort of power in the US, regardless of political party.

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The way I heard it explained is that journalists are getting their stories from having access to politicians...and if they're dependent on politicians for their scoops, well then you can see where that goes. Although I still have to insist that the kids' gloves treatment applies much more to one party than the other.

11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Politicians in America seem to be treated more like celebrities than public servants. I mean, the host might make some crack about Angelina Jolie that would never be said to her face. The same goes for Trump or anyone else in politics.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    1. I’m glad you’ve walked back your commentary, but you’re not the only person on the internet to make the argument that people deserve what is happening to them, because illegal. If it ain’t about you, it ain’t about you [face_coffee]
    2. What IS about you, and why I tagged you, are your comments about race and racism.

EDIT: On the topic of journalistic integrity, in addition to the above mentioned observations about accusations of bias, there’s also profit motive. As was mentioned “access” is a thing. Being able to have interviews with elected officials generates ratings, and ratings generates profits. If you’re mean to a politician by calling shenanigans on their nerfshavit, they’re not inclined to give you “access.”

Somehow, we gotta separate profit motive from journalism.

13. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    AGAIN I never said they deserve what is happening. I said it was "heavy handed! which where I come from means disapproval.

I make no apologies on my views on race and racism.

I don't discriminate, I don't hate and I try to treat everyone equally and judge them as individual characters. Thats it.

I don't do microaggressions and all that nonsense and I don't avoid words because they have tenuous or indirect links with racism.

As I said it is what it is and I make no apology.

14. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    And like I said, you’ve told me everything I need to know about you on the topic of race and racism. Now you’ve told me twice. Thank you.

If you have any concerns about this, the “Race” Relations thread here in the Senate would probably be the better forum to continue this line of conversation.

15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    That’s such a thing someone who supports the separating of children from families would say.

Juliet316 and V-2 like this.
  16. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Thanks for the suggestion but I might stay away from that. Far to volatile issue for my liking and one I admit I don't have as much knowlage in. Especially as there is a vast cultural difference between UK race relations and US race relations.

So best just to agree to disagree on that issue here.

Now your just messing with me [face_bleh] [face_laugh]

17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    To be able to avoid discussions about race because they make you uncomfortable is a privilege o_O[face_coffee]

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    So what was the point of your original commentary?

You purposefully dove into a discussion about family separation to admonish everyone about the need to temper our criticism because the victims are “illegal.” You have implied those that don’t are close-minded and intolerant. Only over subsequent days have you admitted:

1. You don’t agree with Trump Administration of asylum seekers
    2. You don’t agree with Trump Administration treatment of undocumented migrants
    3. You don’t agree with family separation broadly
    4. You don’t agree with US immigration policy

. . .so what was the point of your original, pages long defense, if you in fact agree with all the things that were being said in this thread and disagree with Trump?

19. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    That's a big problem for your democracy.

20. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    There should be a massive uproar over what the Trump administration is doing to these children. We should have protests en masse.

21. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Maybe because my original post was badly worded?

That' problem with "implying" and assumptions.

Posting stuff on a forum is hardly the best way of commincstion and sometimes, especially when someone is not a wordsmith and is busy the things post may not all ways convey accurate meaning.

So instead of clinging onto my original badly worded post, accept that it did not fully convey my meaning and learn from my follow up posts clearing the matter up.

22. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Just curious. Did this start with Trump or has this been done before already?

23. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    As far as reach and damage, this is probably second only to how the government treated Japanese immigrants right after Pearl Harbor.

Deportations under Clinton, Bush, and Obama tended to be a lot more humane from what I can tell.

24. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Japanese internment was a stain on the nation's honor. This is, as well. Well, we've had many stains, such as the Trail of Tears and slavery, but you know what I mean.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  25. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    This whole line of thinking is stupid. This has been an ongoing policy from the Obama administration. Only now is it a problem?

Not to mention, and this is my line of thinking about everything, why aren't we placing the blame for this at the feet of those who chose to willingly break the law. We are responsible when we break the law. Not the law.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.