main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just caught up and yeah...what the actual ****...just another day when it’s hard to tell between reality and an Onion piece.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    As much as I disagree with J-Rod, as angry as many of the views he espouses make me, and as real as the destructive impact of the policies he is willing to accept is, this thread does have a singularly bizarre feature. I don't think it makes sense to discuss the guy as if he is a clinical laboratory specimen who is somehow not here as an active participant, but instead trotted out on occasion to exemplify pathology.

3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    We can still try to make him ditch the sig though

V-2 likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree. It’s gone from tagging him for his opinion as essentially the token Trump supporter, which is OK to a point because we do need a range of opinions so we’re not choir practice, to something a bit more sinister. I’ve cleaned up three messes in two days in this thread.

I’d like to see him disagree with Trump on something as much as the rest of you (and/or cite a source that criticizes Trump and isn’t “fake news”) but there is no need to cross the line between asking him what he thinks and needling/harassment.

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    According to Snopes, not a display but at one time a poster sold in their gift shop. Either way, Trump is well on his way to ticking them all off.

[​IMG]

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well @anakinfansince1983 that, and also the odd sort of psychoanalytic dissertations about what J-rod is or what he thinks. At some point I think the pronouncements are a bit much for someone you're talking to on a Star Wars forum.

7. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Question - can one be described as “nationalistic” while being a patsy for a foreign adversary and kissing up to all foreign dictators, at the same time as damaging all of our relationships with allies? It seems inaccurate to call Trump a nationalist.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    In another non-surprise, Sessions is requesting a 'modification' to the Flores ruling so they can keep families indefinitely - in other words, nullifying it.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    He’s definitely a nationalist, whether he himself believes in “America first”—I don’t think he does, he believes in Trump first—he is encouraging a “**** the rest of the world, America has ours” mindset and policies. His utter refusal to cooperate with long-time allies demonstrates that.

On that list, Trump has already ticked off every box except control of the media and fraudulent elections, and he is doing his best to tick off those boxes. See also: all the cries of “fake news,” and the South Carolina primary and his behavior towards Mark Sanford.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The only one giving his blessing to Trump is this guy, but that's because Trump owes him money.

[​IMG]

But it's not "Fox & Friends", so it is fake news.

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    That's one of the thing that really annoys me about the Trump cult. I kind of understand how they support his racism and bigotry towards minorities and other countries (particularly countries without a white majority) but they also cheer him for sucking up to places like Russia and North Korea. Partially its just tribalism, as he's doing the opposite of Obama so of course they're happy about that, but that's why I wonder what happened to national pride. I know conservatives don't care about mercy and generosity (at least towards non-rich and non-white people) but what happened to American ambition and arrogance? Instead of proclaiming America the greatest country ever, Trump loves playing the victim and saying the US has been victimized by our allies.

Well, I guess for them its a way to annoy liberals and that's always a positive for them. And rather than work harder to prove America is better, they'd rather just whine about how its not their fault America is in such poor shape, especially compared to other first world countries. And since other democracies are the "enemy" in their eyes, of course that pushes them to side with the totalitarian countries. Its why more Republicans like Russian than Pelosi these days. Not that she's a super-great leader, but its not like she sold out our elections to a foreign country, unlike Trump. But guess being a Democrat (and possibly her gender too) make her a convenient scapegoat.

It sounds pretty illogical and hypocritical that a supposedly populist and nationalistic movement is so happy to cater to Russia, but then I doubt Trump's base engages in much critical thinking, or else they'd have to deal with more cognitive dissonance.

12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I see Israel is checking off a lot of items on that list. The Trump/Netanyahu axis of evil

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Maybe they should add "inevitably end up in jail" to that list then?

14. JediVision

JediVision Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2015
    Regarding fascism, in the polities in history typically considered bona fide fascist regimes, were there any notable anti-(regime x) strands within that polity? By that I mean substantial, cohesive moments, not scattered individuals whose eloquent written protestations were celebrated after the fact. I've recently moved to Europe, and I had a conversation with a cabbie the other day where he said, "It's strange; Trump is in power, but I've yet to met a single American that actually likes him." I would guess a big part of that is that members of Trump's base are far less likely to be inclined to travel abroad, but nevertheless, the general dynamic is true: Yes, Trumpism has all the earmarks of a nascent fascism, but (roughly) half the country recognizes this harrowing fact and is passionately resisting it. Are there any analogues to that in history? (I would guess not, since they didn't have the memory of fascist regimes and world war raged against them within the previous century)

(I'm asking out of academic curiosity, not because I'm trying to defend the utterly sick state of the American body politic)

Trump himself may be in hoc to Russia for any number of nefarious reasons, but among the Trumpian masses, the "nationalism" they espouse is as much of a white ethno-nationalism as it is American nationalism per se. Russia is viewed as a Great White Civilization in history by many of them.

15. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I feel the 2014 and 2016 elections have been fraudulent due to voter suppression and gerrymandering. I also feel Trump does control the media to a large degree. He has his own 24 hour "news" channel, he has the Sinclair stations, and of course there's all the far right radio and internet. Even the news sources that he does not control make everything about him and to him any news coverage is something he wants. He wants any attention he can get.

16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    American nationalism has typically been white ethno-nationalist, or racial in character through most of our history, even the black nationalists in responding to it.

17. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Dealing Donny selling statehood for GOP Senate seats.

V-2, Senator Wan, Pensivia and 2 others like this.
  18. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    How is that question even remotely legal?

19. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
  20. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Because Trump can do whatever he wants.

21. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    People arguing with J-Rod again.

[​IMG]

Please. Stop. At least @AhsokaSolo and @Bacon164 seem to be getting it.

V-2, Senator Wan, Pensivia and 4 others like this.
  22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    so - you've got one Trump supporter . One ? Well yeah , that's a 'range of opinions' . I mean half your country voted Trump , and this forum struggles to allow one supporter ?

and this isn't a cue for the usual bunch to rush in and trash Trump , I'm asking seriously .

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We allow any Trump supporter who can abide by the TOS, and we’re not “struggling” to allow J-Rod.

My guess would be that others choose not to come in, or they spouted rhetoric elsewhere on the boards about how it’s OK to talk about grabbing women by the genitals or “Mexicans are rapists” and got themselves banned. Trump would be banned here for violation of our hate speech policy due to some of the comments he has made.

V-2, Senator Wan, Pensivia and 11 others like this.
  24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Asking what seriously? That the forum struggles to "allow" one Trump supporter to post his views without condemning them? I don't even think that's something we should do, we shouldn't "allow" it without condemning it. We are very strongly opposed to them and see them as incredibly damaging, so why should we "allow" such views to be posted without condemning them harshly?

Personally, I don't really need a range of opinions on some of these issues, and I certainly don't need some of the terrible arguments we get here. I'm not really worried about the whole "echo chamber" thing. Doesn't bother me.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That's not true. Almost half the country didn't vote for anyone. And we do have a "range of opinions." Trump isn't the only thing people can disagree on.

Trump supporters just don't tend to last long here. Yeah, I react to their views with hostility, scorn and mockery. I don't see a problem with that because their views tend to be worthy of such treatment. I sometimes do that with liberal/"progressive" opinions as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.