main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Trump already tweeted that Congress shouldn't bother with immigration laws until after the midterms when he believes a 'red wave' will allow him to pass whatever he wants. Apparently, he's already bored by all this and wants to move on to something else than deal with his manufactured crisis.

2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Im sorry, this is Nazi territory to me: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...d-trump-immigration-angel-families/index.html

He’s trying to justify crimes against innocent families and children by pinning the crimes of individuals on people that look like them collectively. It’s bigoted, it’s hateful, and it serves a very very insidious function - to convince people the kids we are all complicit in kidnapping deserve it. If America rolled over for his baby concentration camps, if he got the wall, do people think he wouldn’t then turn his attention toward the “vermin” that have already “infested” this country? His supporters are the types that yell at people in public for speaking Spanish to their children. They protest Spanish immersion programs in schools. They blame their health insurance costs, their job prospects, their lack of social security increases, on “illegals.” Trump doesn’t care about any of these kids. Reports today are that he’s angry he had to stop stealing people’s children. He’s a monster, constrained only by the collective conscience American citizens force on him.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Rew, MrZAP, Nobody145 and 9 others like this.
  3. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It's on the way. Frankly, it's not Trump who worries me, it's who comes in fourteen years, after China is hopelessly ahead economically, and when the diplomatic and trading situation inherited are rather disastrous owing to another decade and a half of an increasingly shuttered USA.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    For me, it's the spectre of someone who implements "Trumpian" policies, but refrains from Trumpian tweets or similar outrageousness while doing so.

EDIT: This is why I'm concerned that even if Trump is impeached, the general populace will dance around like the end of The Wiz, thinking that our work is done.

Rew, WriterMan, Abadacus and 16 others like this.
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    A kinder, gentler Trump.

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Exactamundo!

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    That's why all of his stupid tweets and outrageous things he says is almost beside the point. It's the things going on behind that big distraction that matters.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    . . .the entire Republican Party since 2008?

Rew, WriterMan, MrZAP and 3 others like this.
  9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Re: the bold text, exactly. There's no placating Trump. I've seen a lot people on the left start to warm up to the idea of giving Trump money for his wall seemingly with the idea that after he gets the wall he'll settle down and stop being so horrible all the time. That's not going to happen. He'll never let up. If one wall makes him happy why wont' he demand a wall around every state or maybe just certain states, liberal states? Why won't he demand that we all carry identification papers at all times all in the name of national security? Also whether he gets the wall or not he's still going to work on bringing legal immigration down to 1920's levels. What's next? Sending legal citizens to Gitmo on trumped up charges that they're working with gang members because they're Mexican-American and they're sending money to their family back in Mexico? Being arrested for speaking Spanish because they're suspected gang members? There was just a story the other day of something like that happening.

10. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    I fear nature. And the ignorance of politicians who either don't believe in, or don't take seriously enough, what's happening to Earth. Even if we dodge World War III, there's something every bit as devastating on the horizon, and maybe in our lifetimes.

11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It's not hard to imagine that in the future Trumps "America First" policies will have put us in the back of the line. Trump and the Republicans can deny climate change all they want but companies and governments around the world are going to seize on that and dominate the renewable energy market and similarly to how we're slaves to Middle East oil I could see China and the rest of the world having a monopoly on renewables sometime in the next decade or two. Then you're going to see all these Republicans in the future say, "hey! No fair!"

12. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    China already have a 90% control over the bottleneck raw materials used for renewable energy technology.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    As to the question of whether we (the U.S.) are sliding towards something approaching genocide or ethnic cleansing, and more specifically: whether the general population is nearing a condition where they would tolerate that, I’d encourage everyone to remember that we already have the largest prison system in the world which incarcerates a greater proportion of our population, and more persons total, than any other nation on Earth. This is especially shocking when you consider that a country like China, with human rights laws that are generally considered weaker than ours, has a population four times ours and yet has fewer people in prison.

The American public has already been conditioned to accept a prison system that is out of control and deeply harmful to our social health, and so it is not hard for me to understand how many Republicans accept the child separation program. They have been conditioned to believe that every person who is in prison deserves it, and that it’s not so bad anyways.

This is deeply worrying to me because Trump has indicated he wants to dramatically increase the capacity for federal courts to convict and incarcerate people on immigration related charges, and it seems like the Republicans will just go along with it. We’re talking hundreds of thousands of people being thrown into prison over the next few years. I think he may get away with it unless there is an awakening to the reality of how damaging prison has become to our society. This is not just a left vs right issue either, as many liberals and Democrats believe the fantasy of our correctional system as being some rehabilitating force for good (it isn’t).

Rew, V-2, Abadacus and 9 others like this.
  14. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
  15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Ghost likes this.
  16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
  17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, I can't believe he gave a speech saying "We will be very respectful of the United States."

How terrible.

WriterMan likes this.
  18. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
  19. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    @J-Rod Your teeth will rot out if you don't brush your teeth.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Breitbart? Infowars? National Enquirer?

V-2 likes this.
  21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Well they have a history of being belligerent to the U.S. There was that time in the 1840s when they sent troops to a disputed part of the border between the two republics and their President said to ignore that disputed border and move troops into the disputed lands, leaving us no choice but to retaliate, essentially forcing us into a war with another republic.
    They then proceeded to conquer half of our territory and occupy the rest and then pay a pittance for the northern half of the conquered republic.
    Terrible people. Now they are acting very belligerent by being deferential and respectful of the sovereignty to their neighbor to the north. When will they ever learn?

MrZAP and Darth Guy like this.
  22. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    I know a fair number of people who voted for Trump, and when I occasionally have a conversation with them about politics, many of them can't actually name where they get their news from when I ask them. When I ask them how much Fox News they're watching and suggest they should try something else they pretend like they don't when it's clear they do. I find that most people who actually do read/listen Infowars and Breitbart are too embarrassed to admit it.

V-2 and Pensivia like this.
  23. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I seem to remember a country's head of state in the region trying to strong-arm another country into paying billions of dollars' worth to build an infrastructural project detrimental to the strong-armed country's interests, and threats to impose tariffs to pay for said infrastructural project if the country didn't cave.

Reap what you sow.

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    How can they dare suggest we pay for our own stuff?

25. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    I said it from the very first day: it's not so much what Trump does, its who he inspires, now and later on. That is the real danger. Trump has already altered the course of American history forever, and for the worse. He will be the darkest, most horrible stain in its history.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.