main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    That Huckabee tweet is more blatant Nazi behavior. We’ve all seen how Nazi propaganda portrayed stereotypes of Jewish people to justify their general policies against Jewish people and ratchet up hate and fear across the board. Huckabee is responding to camps for children stolen from parents accused of misdemeanors by posting a racist tweet characterizing people that look like those children as gang members. These people are monsters. Society has to stop dancing around it. They are not above rationalizing and pushing crimes against humanity based on explicit racism. I remember when Huckabee was considered one of the good ones. We are past the era where they pretend they aren’t garbage.

[face_rofl] I’m envious of the single women in the DC area that get to tell these goons to bugger off when they try and flirt. I’m picturing a couple people meeting in a bar, flirting, and then the expression on the non-Trump staffer’s face when he/she learns the other’s job. “Hahaha oh never mind, kthxbye.”

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Rew, Vaderize03, Senator Wan and 6 others like this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don’t typically enjoy posts that only rise to the level of mockery/derision.

That said, I am incredulous at reports that this week, Donald Trump requested an executive prefer to sign that could serve as a comprehensive immigration overhaul.

We knew he was massively ignorant of the American political system. But he’s been doing this a year. Are we really to believe he thought it possible to do this by fiat?

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah but you are missing the bigger trend(from the article):

"But what's missing from the situation is the outrage for the quiet firing of over 100 cartoonists around the country over the past few decades. The generally accepted number by the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists is that there were about 180 staff cartoonists three decades ago. Now there are fewer than a couple dozen. My state, Texas -- the second-largest in the Union -- doesn't have a single full-time cartoonist."

This is more about the long decline of newspapers as the place to go for information than anything nefarious Trump might have done in this case.

edit:

But he mentions North America here, not the U.S. and he actually says he will respect the United States. How is that suggesting Mexican peoples flood the U.S. border? Frankly, we should have an open, transparent and orderly immigration system for North America anyway. We are already at near full employment here. Give people from the South the opportunity to come here and work, carry ID showing their status, and then give them the ability to renew with a NA labor migration agency. That's what should happen anyway if we had real free trade in NA, not that thing they call free trade now. Free trade/markets also means free labor.

4. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    . dp

5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    could you also ban warmongering scum like T Blair and GW Bush ? I'd really appreciate it .

6. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I had no idea these detention centers were run by a private company, GeoGroup, for profit. That is disgusting. It makes it even worse that they donated to the AZ GOP. No wonder they are supporting the crackdown. Lines their pockets. SMH.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, they’re making $775 per night per kid.

8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    WTF [face_flag]?

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So, it must be noted, are the economics rights the US routinely denies. You need to not expect that a first world standard of human rights applies to the USA.

10. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    So, bit of backstory, my dad is a pretty militant liberal, and my mom has been heading that way since Trump was elected. Recently, we've been on a big roadtrip. So far, we've been to Nashville, Louisville, Cincinati, New River Gorge, Lexington.

Lexington, Virginia.

So, of course, me and my parents tried to eat at the Red Hen, the restaurant that kicked out Sarah Huckabee, for dinner tonight. Unfortunately, they were closed for a private event, but I took a lot of pictures, talked to some locals, and my mom actually talked to the owner. Will post more when I get to my computer.

Rew, Darth Nerdling, Pensivia and 8 others like this.
  11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm sure the Trump administration is happy to divert money to friends especially when they can use non-white people as an excuse. I know that's how a lot/most/all of government works, but its checks lots of boxes for them. They get to be cruel to non-white people, annoy liberals and some of their friends profit off it. So much winning. All those thermal blankets (possibly recycled from Ivanka's dresses :p ) have to be paid for somehow. Just like how after the Puerto Rico hurricane a small company got a no-bid million dollar company that happens to be in the hometown of the Interior Secretary.

I don't blame that restaurant for refusing to serve Sanders, if I was ever in that part of the country I'd try to go. Unfortunately this will also play into their victim complex- look at the poor white woman being oppressed. If it wasn't so nauseating, her tweet about it was pretty funny. So expressing surprise that a reporter can understand long sentences is treating people respectfully? And that was just in the last week, although this week she has been extra testy since her lies have had to be bigger than normal, even by this circus' standards.

12. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Sarah Sanders' recent removal from the Red Hen makes me love the Old Dominion so much more. It's not that I want liberals to be rude. I love civic discourse. But I want us to give the Right a taste of its own medicine and show their hypocrisy every now and again. If a restaurant can deny you service for being gay (which is somehow different from denying someone for their race which is definitely illegal - although no one I've ever met on the Right can articulate how it's different) a restaurant can mostly certain deny you for ruining our country.

I have eaten there btw, I enjoyed it.

This seems pretty in line with general policy in the US. Private prisons in general aren't that uncommon and they usually take on the detainees which are the easiest to manage (in other cases, non-violent drug offenders).

Ghost, Senator Wan, Iron_lord and 2 others like this.
  13. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    As far as the DC area and its sorroundings all I know comes from the Tony Kornheiser podcast, so I'm very curious to hear what he and his crew have to say about the Red Hen.

14. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    That's the crazy thing about this story. This is not in Northern Virginia nor is it in Roanoke nor Charlottesville nor Richmond. Lexington is in Central Virginia in the Shenandoah Valley, about a 1hr 40m drive SW from my place in Charlottesville. It's closer to West Virginia than it is DC.

Lexington is home to VMI - the last public school in the US to admit women. This is no liberal bastion.

Rew and CT-867-5309 like this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Pure evil

Within the Texas legislature, a controversial bill is pending. A private prisons company called the GEO Group has allegedly asked Republicans to submit a law that could lead to immigrant children being indefinitely detained in its lucrative centers.

Representatives John Raney, John Cyrier and Mark Keough—all Republicans—have authored legislation that, if passed, would allow immigration detention centers to obtain child care licenses. Equipped with the permits, the centers would then be able to circumvent a 2015 federal ruling that said detained immigrant children must be transferred to a child care facility after 20 days in detention.

Raney, Cyrier and Keough’s bill would not require the detention centers to change their setups, but it could significantly benefit them. The GEO Group, which runs the Karnes Residential Center—one of two family detention facilities in Texas—earns $55 million annually from the facility. At present, just 100 of its 830 beds are occupied, according to the Associated Press.

This perhaps explains why the GEO Group—despite having a Greek immigrant, George Zoley as its CEO—is so keen to see Raney, Cyrier and Keough’s bill pass. So keen, in fact, that the organization essentially wrote it. “I’ve known the lady who's [the GEO Group’s] lobbyist for a long time,” Raney told the Associated Press. That's where the legislation came from. We don't make things up. People bring things to us and ask us to help.”

16. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    I had 16 notifications.

You guys have no idea the amount of dread I feel when it's more than 2 or 3!

It's a tightrope in here for me. At times.

I have to be sure, because I feel like I have at least 6 people fact-checking even the smallest comments I make at any given time.

It's kind of stressful. LOL!

Most of the time I'm also building jet engines! So I can occasionally let loose with something that doesn't make since when I look back at it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's ok @J-Rod; some will want to challenge your positions, others have no idea and want to attack a caricature whilst themselves being the caricature.

18. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    The irony is that this statement is coming from the man I consider to be the best at either approach.

Both the smartest and funniest. Rarely are those attributes found in the same person.

EDIT: And I misspelled "sense."

Perfect...

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    J-Rod , they've no-one else to dance with .

WriterMan and J-Rod like this.
  20. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Wow...that's even worse than I imagined it could be. Even Hanlon's razor can't convince me this isn't just pure evil.

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Trump needs to dominate people the way the rest of us need air. I think it's like a drug for him, and as with any drug, you need more of it to get the same high after you've been using it for awhile. I think he's going to seek out more and more extreme ways to get his fix. This morning, it's about depriving immigrants of their due process rights. He's not going to stop there.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Lordban, Juliet316 and Iron_lord like this.
  23. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    I can't read it because I don't have a subscription.

However isn't this just an attempt to dehumanize someone based on ___________?

Here's it's political opinion.

Not a whack job opinion, like the Jews brought down the Trade Towers. But a normal routine opinion that more than half the population shares. http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...e_parents_not_feds_for_border_children_crisis

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    She isn’t being dehumanized. She’s being refused service. The Supreme Court in the case of the wedding cake bakers ruled that it is perfectly acceptable to do so—and for a factor that is far more innate into one’s being than a political opinion. (I am also assuming that Sanders supported the bakers—but is now complaining that she is being refused service.)

Political opinions can be changed, and there is no obligation to respect abhorrent ones.

If I were the restaurant owner, I would have let her eat there, assuming that I were not afraid of protesters taking over as they did when Nielsen ate at the Mexican restaurant. However, I would have donated all proceeds from the meals that her party consumed, to RAICES or the Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project.

25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Here you go J-Rod:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.