main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think the more salient point is that she is conflating the Mosaic Law of the Jews with the Roman legal authority in the area. That itself is a bit odd alongside complaints about “Sharia law” and too much governmental deference to minority populations.

But it becomes outright bizarre when one considers that the actual content of said law has no concept of “illegal” immigration at all and is in fact forceful, explicit, and repetitious on the duty of the Jews to treat migrants well. Regardless of their rationale for coming.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I'm just going to point out that according to Herod's decree, Jesus' continued existence itself was illegal.

3. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Likely by weighing him next to a duck.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You mean Hebrew and Roman decree. A guy the called himself son of god and king of the Jews was a threat to both authorities. Thus he had to die, according to the storybook that is.

Anyhoo, wrong thread for this discussion?

5. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    It's Trump's advisor's fault, and thus very much on topic! :D

Meanwhile in London, the US President is in talks with a Prime Minister who's probably never going to have the authority to sign the deals he's interested in :p

Yoda's_Roomate likes this.
  6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    A special alert has gone out to Americans abroad in the UK during Trump's visit:

It makes sense. Brits are pissed that their football team lost, and what better way to take out their anger than on President Baby and the imbeciles who elected him to high office? [face_flag]

7. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Huh. I'm curious about whether we fell under the same aegis when Trump briefly visited last year or if they considered the French were just doing French things :p

8. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    France probably hadn't just lost the World Cup then so American visitors were largely safe. :p

9. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Americans safe in France? I resent this accusation! :p

Pensivia and Rew like this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I can't wait to see this baby in the air.

[​IMG]

11. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001

The US needs this kind of moment.

V-2, Abadacus, TCF-1138 and 3 others like this.
  12. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Calling Hugo Boss to the stand ;)

13. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Last night I had a nightmare that the population of the United States went insane after being exposed to the Trump administration acting with complete impunity for months and years. After continuous exposure to seeing Trump and his cronies brazenly and shamelessly lie, cheat, and screw people over without any repercussions millions of people gave up all social norms, ignored all rules of law and took to the streets with guns and started shooting people and blowing things up. Seemingly the whole country adopted the mindset that nothing can stop them from doing horrible things and/or nothing matters anymore so might as well dive headfirst into the chaos. It was as if if the entire country became a high school that was under constant attack by countless active shooters. The population had effectively been split into two groups, the chaos makers and those who were constantly frightened, running, hiding, and being attacked and killed.

While I don't know that the U.S. is going to completely devolve in a Purge-like hellscape I do think we are witnessing an unraveling of social norms as a result of Trump's words and actions. Not that racism ever went away but it seems like there's been an uptick in people brazenly saying racist things in this country. Added to that are the people that try to dismiss claims that racism is on the rise. In the best case scenario those people are deluding themselves, in the worst case they're knowingly providing cover for the people doing and saying racist things. Either way both groups are enabling racism and hurting this country. This is all of course on top of Trump the GOP's racist policies and years of police violence and institutional racism.

Things are about to get a whole lot darker in the U.S. and by extension the world. Happy Thursday!

14. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Short of an actual nuclear war, I don't think things can get much worse in the US right now. With luck he'll just die in office, preferably with a Big Mac still in his mouth so even the medical staff can't save him.

15. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    If only we were so lucky. Odds are you and the rest of the world will be stuck with that ******* for the end of his term. Here's hoping he doesn't run again and that the GOP is severely punished in the midterms, but I'm not hopeful about either scenario.

Pensivia and appleseed like this.
  16. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes it can and very likely will. Kavenaugh in the Supreme Court is going to be like a bomb going off and Trump and the GOP are not going to slow down doing horrible things to the population of this country. I'm not saying that to be a pessimist but when Roe V. Wade is overturned, Affirmative Action is killed, black and brown people are attacked and/or deported, ACA is overturned or completely gutted, voting rights are further whittled away, social security, medicare, and medicaid are gutted, and marriage equality is torched just to name a few we are going to be in a very dark place. And for every horrible thing Trump and the GOP do the more emboldened awful people in this country will become.

Rew likes this.
  17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Who was it that thought politicians appointing judges was a good idea? George Washington? If so, he sucked.

18. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Well, if all of that happens then I'm certain a shooting war will happen. At which point the US is dead and the experiment has failed. Not that that will necessarily be a bad thing, I've slowly been coming around to the idea of the US splitting up. While it would suck, it would at least divorce us from the south having influence over the rest of us. Really, I think most of the problems in this country can come down to the south. Slavery? Not abolished because of the south which made it such an institution that it spread to the north. Civil war? The south wanted to keep slavery. Jim Crow? The south. Nixon? The southern strategy. Evangelicals? Mainly housed in the south. Yes, I realize a lot of this is facetiousness, but when it comes down to it that part of the country has had an undue influence on our politics. Why is the Electoral College still in place? The south. Well, rural areas, most of which are southern.

This post is not to be taken entirely seriously. Though, a few points are true.

appleseed likes this.
  19. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
  20. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    watching the GOP(Government of Putin) in this Strzok hearing makes me freaking sick.:mad:

They are trying to hold him in contempt for not answering questions the FBI has told him he cannot answer because it may interfere with ongoing investigations......while Bannon refuses to answer any questions that weren't pre approved by the white house....wont press Mr. Jeff "I don't Recall" Sessions, and lets Lewandowski to hurl profanity at dems whiles also refusing to answer questions

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Trump landed at Stanstead airport about 3 hours ago. He's off to dinner at Blenheim Palace (Oxfordshire) tonight. I believe he's at the US Ambassador's residence before that. He and Melania will also spend the night there.

22. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Trump at Blenheim? [face_plain]

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - dinner with a bunch of business people. BBC News has a story on who will/won't be there. Theresa May will be hosting it.

24. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    I'll admit to being a bit sickened by the notion of Trump sitting where Churchill did [face_plain] About the only thing the two men had in common was their bluster...

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Trump will also be sitting in Chequers and Windsor Castle during the trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.