main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    That's what I thought. So you know what is at stake.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Not when, traditionally, most Presidents and Congresses continually vote to increase military spending. I'm saying I don't see a point in staying with NATO as a whole anymore. If Europe bands closer together, they can take care of themselves for the most part, and even if not in a formal alliance with the US anymore I'm sure the US would still come to their aid if they ever did face an existential threat in the future. One good thing about Trump has been that the US withdrawing from Europe has caused most of Europe (except the UK) to come closer together. Perhaps the US leaving NATO would force the EU to combine all its national militaries into one unified EU military. (Yes, I know European NATO countries =/= EU, just like I know Europe is composed of several countries... I'm trying to go straight to the point.)

The only countries I'm worried about if the US leaves NATO is Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia. I don't think Romania, Slovakia, or Hungary would be in danger, nor any other NATO countries further to the west. It's just those 4 that I would worry about. We don't need to protect all of Europe anymore, Germany/France would never let Russia get past them. That's why I'm comfortable with the US leaving NATO, as long as we keep alliances with Poland and the Baltics. They have a troubled history with Russia, they've been subjugated by Russians in the past, and Russia still thinks they should belong to the Russian sphere of influence.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  3. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    You're giving Trump a lot more credit than he's worthy of being given.

V-2 likes this.
  4. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    But Europe is not coming closer together. They are fracturing. Did you not see what just happened in Italy(yes, I know they change governments more often than the seasons change but still)? Populist and nationalist movements are popping up and gaining traction throughout Western Europe. That's why something like NATO is so important now. We need an multi-national alliance in Europe at a time when the EU is starting to fray. We need that institution more now than we needed it in the 90s and the early aughts.

5. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    I don't either, but China has shown a very long memory and remember slights very well; they also have largely muted any dissent about there ever existing anything other than a united China, and forcefully push the narrative abroad.

There's nothing to cede there, just an understanding to be made for the future - "we let you have your way there, this is the price you pay for our silence."

Of course, Russia can choose to go the Austrian way (we will surprise the World with our ungratefulness).

I do. I'm afraid I do...

I'd advise against underestimating Trump. He's not an uninformed man, as much as he likes to play on the theme; he's uncultured and brutal, but he's also ruthless and knows what he wants. And the state he rules was already ceding ground in Europe and reorienting towards China before he was handed the reins.

Rew likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There's Brexit, which might or might not even happen. Overall, it seems like the European response to Trump is that they have to take matters into their own hands instead of always following the lead of the US. I think the US leaving NATO would lead to Europe banding closer together. How else has Europe been fracturing in the Trump years so far? Have any European countries seriously attempted to leave NATO?

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Erm. We've had a reliable and constant stream of verified leaks form inside the Executive Branch for a good 18 months now. Senior advisers are open about their exasperation. It's not for nothing he was called an "[expletive] moron." He is, in fact, pretty decidedly uninformed.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  8. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    What our countries have done is having been complacent. Only a single European country is capable of projecting force anywhere on the globe - at part-time capacity - and of full nuclear dissuasion; that is France, with a budget cut to the bone and equipment which is becoming largely obsolete and unuseable. There remains significant cooperation between France and the other country close to full projection and nuclear capabilities, the UK, which are better equipped but have a somewhat narrower focus.

Unfortunately, the two countries have significantly different foreign policies, ultimately putting a stop to any serious integration of both militaries. The same holds true, unfortunately, as a rule of the EU - there are nearly as many foreign policy orientations as there are member states, and foreign policy decisions require a unanimous decision...

Not that it matters all that much, though. Outside of the UK and France, Europe is a military non-factor.

V-2 and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    You mentioned Europe coming closer together. That is the EU. Take a look at Italy. There is a growing north and south divide. Prior to NATO Europe suffered countless continental wars, two world wars, Franco-Prussian, etc. Pulling out of an alliance now would be reckless and substantially weaken Europe. It would also delight Putin and the pan-Russo nationalists. It would be giving them a massive gift.

V-2 likes this.
  10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The EU cannot even agree on a common defence policy because the French do not trust the Germans. Brexit is the least of the EU's problem; immigration is likely to tear the Schengen Area apart. A federal Europe is, currently, a dead idea and about as popular as sticking your dick in a bees nest.

Jedi Ben and Lordban like this.
  11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    One can dream.

V-2 likes this.
  12. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it will happen, but not for a few decades and after the death of the EU.

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Unfortunately that seems to be the case. And/or after another act of Sov...err...Russian aggression. Sorry @Lordban! but you know what they want.

14. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Speaking of how much Putin wants the EU to disintegrate, did you see the story of Trump trying to influence Macron to leave the EU in exchange for a better trade deal? Weird that an American President would push for such a thing...

V-2 likes this.
  15. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    The Soviet Union was a force of good and defender of progressive politics.

16. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Or weird that the French might actually do it on their own and only dodged Le Pen by settling on Macron last time. They might get Frexit on their own.

17. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Yeah so that’s entirely irrelevant to the point that America’s president is trying to use American trade policy to give Putin what he wants in Europe.

18. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    :p

Honestly, I expect NATO to go first (article 5 failing), and the EU a close second. I don't expect any kind of federal entity forming - too many differences already exist, and Russia, China and the USA are all going to be playing on them.

@DANNASUK [face_laugh]

19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    So our only hope lies in the US, Russia, or China breaking up first.

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Again? :p What is this, 1991? 1861?

Makes me miss the Yeltsin days.

Vaderize03 and SuperWatto like this.
  21. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    There will always be a China, Watto

22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    No country lasts forever.

DANNASUK likes this.
  23. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    There won't always be a China. I give them 250 million years at the most - by that point the landmasses will be utterly unrecognizable ;)

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    China Survivor: Outwit, Outplay, Outlast.

They think long game. Americans are still stuck on 2016 elections. We can't even stay current.

V-2 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    And if the US quit NATO, closed all its based in Western Europe, withdrew all its troops/equipment from Western Europe... how do you think France and the rest of Europe would react?

I feel countries like France and the UK would have never let their military decay to this point if they weren't overly-dependent on the US military.

Military cooperation/alliance doesn't need economic cooperation/union.

I ask you the same thing I ask Lordban above. If the US quit NATO, closed all its based in Western Europe, withdrew all its troops/equipment from Western Europe... how would Europe react. Because, as I said, I feel countries like France and the UK would have never let their military decay to this point if they weren't overly-dependent on the US military. Losing that benefactor would make them more reliant on each other, and less likely to split, especially since they're become so integrated in other ways (even if that were to end now).

I also ask... if the US did keep bases/troops in Poland and the Baltics, and remained in alliance with them, what exactly do you think Putin would be capable of doing? Do you really think he'd invade the Balkans and Greece, and then push into Germany/Switzerland/Italy? What exactly do you think would happen?

I direct you to my responses to ShaneP and Lordban above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.