main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I think @J-Rod should consider his feelings on the male sex for what they are: self-loathing. They don't actually reflect anything worthy of discussion on the rest of the male population.

Self-loathing is apparently what makes Trump presidential material.

edit - Also maybe the male friends do want to have sex with their female friends? What if the female friends want to have sex with their male friends? Why would that drive negate or change the value of that friendship?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Let's be clear: I'll be 50 next month. My days of enjoying "locker room talk" are behind me. (I know, Trump's should be too) But talking about someone I'd want to have sex with is different than talking to someone I'd like to have sex with. EDIT: From a marital point of view.

I have a low(ish) self-esteem, sure. It's probably a piece of why I don't feel entitled.

But self-loathing? I've worked my way out of that literally decades ago.

If the "wanting" is two ways, sure. Who's hurt. But mostly it's one way. And guys, being what guys are, can sometimes take advantage of a vulnerable situation.

Then someone's hurt.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    So your wife's work pays something toward your health insurance, and presumably you get paid vacation and possibly holidays. Do you pay all that money back, because companies are in business to make money. They aren't there to build and provide for families?

I think you also have a pretty poor employer, if they don't allow experience to replace education at some point. For example, at my current pay grade, someone off the street would have to have a PhD to apply. I got it due to experience.

4. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007

5. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    That's pretty good. With my company, you can be considered for a job requiring a degree if you've been there a while and are currently enrolled to get the degree. But at some point you'll have to have the degree.

And look, I didn't say that companies shouldn't offer all those bennies, like paternity leave, ect. I just said that the government shouldn't force them to. Hell, starting two years ago my company gives paternity leave. 2 weeks. I'm fine with it. My son-in-law got to stay home from work when Tovi was born last September. (We all live in the same huge house, remember)

I just don't feel it's needed and I don't feel the government should mandate it.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

I'm rather lucky then, they won't consider anyone for my role without experience. Book learning is all well and good but you'd get low to mid level salary to do my job straight out of Uni with a Degree and I only have a high school education.

In fact I'm very lucky in that in a recent business audit I was identified as a major "Risk" as my role is classed as key and there is only one of me and it took them 9 months to find and employ me. The audit has recommended a pay rise to reduce the chances of me looking elsewhere. :D

Also, I have taken my sister in law out for Coffee and to the cinema on my own without our respective partners and have also had dinner with a female work college when on an overnight trip and because we'd travelled a distance we had room service rather than go to the restaurant.

At no point did I think sex was a possibility and if someone wanted to pass judgement over "Impropriety" then fair enough but we know what did and didn't happen and all respective partners were aware. Anyone else can keep the beady thoughts to themselves.

8. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I was blessed to have a father who saw women as human beings and not as holes to penetrate.

9. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    At some point you guys have got to quit gaslighting.

So basically you are saying that I feel sexual attraction to women more than any guy you know. Yet in a world where most marriages end in divorce, and most divorces are caused by infidelity, I've managed a perfect record of faithfulness and loyalty.

I must be superhuman...

10. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    No. That's not what we're saying.

I can see an attractive woman but not feel the necessity to attempt the "conquest"

I can see an attractive woman and think "if I was a bit younger I would like to ask her out" and have all sort of illicit thoughts. I don't however go running to one of my mates and go "Phwoar, look at the norks on her, I'd proper love to give her one..."

Yes most divorces are caused by infidelity, this is as a conscious choice by the two people having an affair, NOT because the bloke got a raging horn on and decided to mount the nearest woman to him. Affairs are caused by both men and women not just men.

I've been with my missus for 21 years in September and yes I've been tempted but I neither acted on it nor bragged to mates about what I'd like to do to said individual. It's just crass.

You having the ability to not act on your urges just means that you're not a total dick.

11. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Sexual attraction doesn’t equate to rape dehumanizing sex fantasies

crazyewok, TCF-1138 , MrZAP and 6 others like this.
  12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Dude, stop projecting your own sexual urges onto all men. I don't want to have sex with every girl I know. I'm happy and in a relationship. Because you feel uncomfortable having female friends because you want to **** them doesn't mean that every other guy is incapable of talking to women without humping their legs.

I'm sick and tired of you acting like all men are horn dogs that just can't control while also consistently denying the need to actually protect/help women. It makes the rest of us look bad.

Rew, V-2, TCF-1138 and 9 others like this.
  13. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Yeah @J-Rod you need to not project your extremely limited notions of sexuality onto the rest of humanity.

Also probably shouldn’t speak for all women’s sex drives.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    imagine ruling out half the world's population as potential friends. that's so sad.

Rew, V-2, TCF-1138 and 12 others like this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That’s not what gaslighting means. Telling you that you really need to find better men to associate with is not gaslighting. And my response to your most recent comments about men and women would be just that.

And I have, and have always had, as many male friends as female friends. I also have several lesbian friends. I’m pretty good at selecting friends who see me as someone with a brain as opposed to someone with just ***s and an ass. In fact, the latter is a primary criteria in selecting both a friend *and* a romantic partner—which, contrary to other stereotypes initially propagated by Harry Burns before he learned better, it is possible to find both in the same person.

Rew, TCF-1138 , MrZAP and 11 others like this.
  16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think friendships can be "complicated" and include romantic or sexual feelings from one or both parties that aren't acted upon for various reasons; or friendships can develop into something more over time. The shallow, cynical view that reduces it to "all men want to **** all their female friends and that's all they're after" is so quintessentially J-Rodian.

Rew, Vaderize03, MrZAP and 11 others like this.
  17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Thank you for proving my point about your disgusting behavior and opinions. Not all men are like what you claim, I'd say the vast majority of men are not. Since you think otherwise it's an indictment of what you and your friends must talk about.

18. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Maybe a majority of 16-year olds.

19. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    [​IMG]
    Dumbest 16 year old ever

20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I've met people like J-Rod who think everyone secretly thinks like them. It's the old "you don't know what you don't know" problem. They don't understand what they don't understand.
    Luckily it's been studied! And @J-Rod, luckily your friend SuperWatto realized there's a way to explain it to you:
    https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a bias in thinking, usually where a person is unaware of how badly they grasp a subject, not understanding that they are failing at it. They mistakenly think that they are doing as well as "average" or even "above average".

It is a psychological effect in which people don't realize their level of knowledge or ability in a subject. People who know little about a subject will think that they know more than they actually know."

V-2, MrZAP, Jedi Merkurian and 2 others like this.
  21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    wasn't that Nora Ephron ?

pretty much everyone ^

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I almost made a When Harry Met Sally reference in my post.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I faked an orgasm on your behalf.

gezvader28 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I did make a When Harry Met Sally reference in my post. [face_whistling]

Iron_lord, Pensivia and Darth Guy like this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, you did say that.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.