main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Trump distraction and obfuscation matrix is something to behold.

Putin meeting goes awry > blame dishonest media
    Trade war goes awry, Michigan farmer Trump voters blame Trump for plummeting soybean prices > go after Federal Reserve Chair for raising interest rates
    Bad news on Mueller front > rant about Iran
    save Twitter space for ALL CAP rage tweets about "rigged witch hunt" and projecting Putin's blackmailing with the pee tape onto Merkel, accuse Germany of being in Putin's pocket.

Nobody145, appleseed, unicorn and 2 others like this.
  2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    The bigger the lies, the easier the sale ;)

appleseed and Pensivia like this.
  3. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Did I say we should excuse him?

No.

I said we should treat him like the child he is having the tantrum that he is. In other words, call out his behavior, make it clear that it needs to stop, and use the powers at our disposal--namely, Congress reigning him--to force him to change. That hasn't happened yet, as the Republican majority has chosen to do nothing other than hold symbolic votes supporting NATO and what-not, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't take those actions. In reality, nothing will change unless and until the Democrats retake one or both chambers of Congress. And that's an indictment of the American political system right there.

What I won't do, however, is respond to his Tweet with nothing more than outrage. Outrage in this situation is justified, but it also assumes that displaying said outrage will be incentive enough for him to change his behavior. It won't. It hasn't worked before, and it won't work now. Please don't take my refusal to go "whole-hog" in criticizing his Tweet as condoning his behavior, or calling for a lack of response, because it is neither. Rather, this should be used as a catalyst for action--just like all the other times Trump has done something outrageous, or threatened nuclear war against another country. The usual enticements won't work with Trump--only action will. Look at what just happened with the Putin meeting. Both parties came together and roundly condemned him, and he tried to walk it back. It was a pathetic, laughable attempt at damage control, but it was also pretty much the only time he even attempted to do so. That provides a blueprint for how to handle utterly inappropriate and dangerous behavior like his Tweet against Iran.

In other words, Congress needs to, with one voice, a) forcefully condemn his Tweet, b) make it clear that ANY military action taken against Iran must be authorized by Congress first (preferably with a declaration of war, and finally c) make it clear that foreign policy can no longer be conducted via Twitter. That one is trickier, but threatening to reign in his authority on things like the power to enact tariffs might make him sit up and pay attention.

So yes, we shouldn't ignore it. But we also shouldn't reflexively throw up our hands and shout "Oh, the horror!" and expect things to change. Only action will do that. He's just provided another opening for his opponents to seize and capitalize on. Let's see if they do it.

EDIT: This pretty much sums up what I'm trying to say. Take it seriously, but do so in a way that effects policy, not just knee-jerk reacts his outrageous Tweets.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Rew, Nobody145, Juliet316 and 3 others like this.
  4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    But you were saying that he'd have beaten any other Dem as well . Thing is there's many variables at play in why people vote the way they do , just sticking on the race angle isn't good enough .

it's cos the text sits on the bottom of the frame so I hit return a coupla times so I can see whats where .

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Trump likes to threaten to rain nuclear fire down on people's heads right before he gets down on his knees to **** their ****s (e.g. Kim). Although he's clearly too racist ever to actually **** the **** of a Muslim, not even that of a Muslim dictator. Ok, maybe he'd make an exception for Erdogan. I honestly don't think Trump has a very itchy trigger finger. In his head it's some kind of brilliant negotiating ploy. Carrots and sticks or something like that.

6. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Iran have been *insert number* years away from a nuclear bomb since 1990's. Now I really can't take such claim seriously, especially from the ompa lump in chef, any US official or Israel's Benny nutty Yahoo.
    It's a case of the Presidents that cried nuke.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’d be more concerned about Iran bombing the US in response if they had the capabilities. Trump’s all-caps tweet reads more like “YA WANNA PIECE OF ME?!?!?” than an actual threat. Like the school bully who is always trash-talking in order to get small timid kids to give up their lunch money but runs like hell at the first inkling of serious pushback.

8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Welp! If nothing else Trump has revealed what it would've been like if the internet was around when Nixon was in office. We'd have people online talking about how the Watergate break-in is a distraction and how Democrats are just sore losers that can't get over that they lost the election.

9. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    You could, however, take it seriously from IAEA reports.

V-2 likes this.
  10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Check out the screencaps of tweets from a certain then-citizen/now-President saying that the previous President would threaten/incite war against Iran as a distraction from current woes, and in order to bolster sagging poll numbers... o_O[face_coffee]

Sauntaero, Rew, Abadacus and 14 others like this.
  11. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, you are correct. That should have been "that have been trying to get their own nuclear weapons". My bad.

12. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I would imagine there were Nixon supporters claiming just that in newspapers and op-ed pieces .
    And Nixon was very up-to-date with the technology , had his own tape recording facility I believe ...

appleseed likes this.
  13. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh know doubt. Nixon's approval rating was 62% after the Watergate break-in. Clearly a ton of Republicans thought it was bogus or didn't care and likely said so all the time.

14. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    IIRC @KnightWriter was recently reading a book about Watergate, so he may have some further specific insight into how public opinion unfolded during that period.

15. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    I've always felt that Reagan and BushW got away with a lot more than Nixon , but they just bluffed it out . Nixon was never really 'in' with the establishment plus he acted shifty .

Abadacus and appleseed like this.
  16. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    A little of both, but seriously, who would stop him?

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He also had the attitude of "everyone does it!" which they did.

I listened to a short podcast series about it recently, which I recommend. I listened knowing very little about Watergate, so found it pretty fascinating.

It's called Slow Burn, and is from Slate.

http://www.slate.com/articles/slate_plus/watergate.html

gezvader28 likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I interrupt the Iran tweet for this one

Ok so, Trump said he accepts what our intel said about Russia, but here he says Obama knew about it and did nothing but it's all a hoax..

So President Obama knew about Russia before the Election. Why didn’t he do something about it? Why didn’t he tell our campaign? Because it is all a big hoax, that’s why, and he thought Crooked Hillary was going to win!!!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Um, this is a REALLY big deal.

Criticize Trump, lose your security clearance? How is this is not retaliation against so-called ‘political enemies’? Why isn’t everyone talking about this?

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    What's the point of them retaining clearance anyway? I didn't know they still had any.

21. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Maybe it's not so much that they would retain it, but trying to take away their ability to regain it in the future.

22. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I know you understand my point. The mere act of him threatening this is unacceptable. It’s well beyind a step too far.

Is arresting journalists next? Is that too hyperbolic to think about?

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw it earlier, on CNN at the gym, and was trying to get a grasp on the implications before I commented.

It is retaliation against people who criticize him, and retaliation that only he can give (unless Congress can also revoke security clearance, or reinstate revoked clearances). That alone is disturbing, whether the specifics of who lost security clearance is or not.

24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    So Sanders complains that they're supposedly politicizing and monetizing their security clearance. Even though several of them don't even have security clearance at all anymore (Comey and McCabe lost theirs when they were fired), and things like Clapper's remarks seem to be based off public news rather than any secret reports he might still have access to.

Well, its only bad when someone else does it, if Trump profits and politicize things, that's good then. What else is new, meh. :rolleyes: (I'm outraged, of course, but well, it'd be easier to list the non-outrageous things the Trump administration has done than list every immoral action they've taken.) Though apparently Trump probably has the authority to revoke their clearance at any time anyway (I think none of them are active and most are retired?), but mainly just another way of him being petty and vindictive.

Not like Trump's denials are ever consistent, such as blaming Obama for something that he claims never happened (or isn't a crime), and trying to pin him down on details won't get anywhere. He's still going back and forth on whether he trusts US intelligence over Russia (right now, no).

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    1. What I don't understand is why people who no longer work for the government retain security clearance. Yes, Trump Bad, but what is the point? They might be hired again and it is just bureaucratic laziness? Apparently even Michael Flynn retained clearance after Obama fired him, which sounds absurd.

2. The U.S. government already does arrest and prosecute journalists, mostly for refusing to reveal sources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.