main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I work at the Medical University of SC, the biggest hospital in the state and the campus on which this played out. We have a sterling reputation throughout the southeast and nation, especially for cancer research through former Sen. Fritz Hollings' donations to the Hollings Cancer Center.

And now this ****head will plaster our sign all over the national news just because he wanted to stand in front of our student library, named after Stephen and Elizabeth's father, Mr. Colbert, a great and honorable Charlestonian. Just disrespectful and pitiful. I really liked Sanford as our governor. He turned a hopelessly wasteful state government into a better entity (which Nikki Haley promptly gutted), personal failures aside. His censure for misuse of state funds was what bothered me more than Ms. Chapur.

This pandering clown is not the Sanford I knew and supported. So disappointed.

3. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    U.S. Politics.......the more things change, the more they stay the same....

4. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Pretend you're an employer who happens to be a nosy bastard, and you demand your employees' facebook passwords. How many times are you going to demand those passwords as they keep changing them before you just up and fire them? If they sue you for what they would naturally perceive to be wrongful termination, would you have a leg to stand on in a legal sense, based on CISPA? I honestly don't know, which is why I'm asking, btw, but then let's take this fantasy even further. Pretend you're a judge who has to preside over this hypothetical trial. Would you not agree that it's completely absurd and throw the case out?

VadersLaMent likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Didn't the SC rule password asking to be unconstitional or are have they just heard it with no ruling at the moment?

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    All that, um, hiking the Appalachian Trail did him in.

7. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    He could have survived that. Plenty have in SC. He's running in a heavily gerrymandered SC-1 district created to balance out Jim Clyburn, any Republican should win here in my district.

What he can't survive is his exposure as an utterly hapless politician. This was very bad today. Worse than the trespassing, because he can't sell this in any way other than he's desperate.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    If it was company policy that all employees or job applicants had to keep their current passwords to all social media accounts on file with their employer, what would be the grounds for any sort of legal action?

Further, what sort of reasoning is this you're selling in the first place? Massive privacy breaches are okay so long as they only happen a limited number of times? Okay then.

10. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    If company policy is something that's legally vague at best, I'm sure there are more than a few lawyers who'd be up to the challenge of finding out.

Edit: I didn't see your edit when I responded, so please find it within the depths of your cold black heart to forgive me. Anyway, dude, I'm not "selling" anything, I'm curious is all. I believe that the potential for Orwellian abuse of civil liberties is exactly the sort of thing that CISPA would pave the way toward. Am I off my rocker for thinking that? I have nothing to hide on my facebook page, but I'll be damned if I'm going to give my password to any potential or current employer because they claim they have a right to it, and if/when they do in a "legal" sense, there's going to be plenty of legal backlash which, quite frankly, will be a huge waste of time.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And if IIRC, some already have.

12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    That is already the policy of many employers in many states.

13. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    It is? How does that sit with you?

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    It seems excessive,

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    One solution I would employ is to set up an email account specifically for work and only for work. An employer wants my password to that? Fine. But I wouldn't hand over my passwords for my personal email accounts or Twitter (I don't have a Facebook and can't forsee myself getting one just to please a boss).

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Polls done by the Washington Post and Fox News show that... for the first time since 9/11... more Americans are not willing to give up more freedom in order to combat terrorism than those who do, and show that people are more worried about the government going too far than not doing enough.

Also, a large majority of Americans accept that we will have to live with terrorism... but are not worried about it, and will not change their behavior as a result of the Boston bombings. There has been no increase in fear of terrorism since Boston either.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...w-growing-resolve-to-live-with-terror-threat/

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I wonder how much of that is down to the suspects being found rather quickly.

I was rather annoyed at FOX when I tuned into them briefly yesterday morning (still this morning for those of you still on the West Coast). They and the GOP have a perfectly reasonable subject to cover in whether or not the FBI screwed up royally in not following up on the older brother involved in the bombings after they investigated him at Russia's request. What do they choose to discuss instead? Benghazi. Again.

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Some places wouldn't call that sufficient. There are reports of companies asking for password access to all social media accounts, even if they have nothing at all to do with work. Some individual states are passing laws to protect against this sort of thing (I talked about it in my last two posts in the unions/Thatcher thread) but it's still very much a patchwork in the US.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    If it came to that, then honestly, I'd probably consider looking for another job and then quitting. I can more than understand employers looking at public Facebook and Twitter postings and the like (and some people are really really stupid with what they put on their Facebook and Twitter pages. case in point - the two idiots that said going to London was going to be a bomb a few months back and got the authorities in a tizzy thinking they were actually going to bomb London Heathrow Airport). But I value my privacy too much to hand over my email and other passwords lock, stock, and barrel. Plus, there's the outside chance that if you have a boss who for whatever reason dislikes you or something, that if they had access to your accounts, that they could either delete your accounts or easily take over those accounts and post whatever they wanted to smear your reputation and possibly ruin any chance you have at any other jobs in the future. Nil chance, but it's still a chance that I absolutely don't want to take just to please an employer.

20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Obviously you're looking at it the wrong way. Fox News isn't overly obsessing over Benghazi, it's the liberal media that's purposely avoiding the subject and giving Obama a free pass for his criminal negligence that led to the murder of our ambassador.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Barbara Bush's response to W's suggestion that Jeb should run: "He's by far the best qualified man, but no. We've had enough Bushes. It's not just four families, or whatever."

I think she's great. And right- the clown car that the GOP will trot out will likely not approach the level of proficiency Jeb has in running a large state (regardless of how well you think he did), especially on the immigration front. But enough is enough. Time for new blood.

Summer Dreamer and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Barbara Bush said, "Or whatever?"

23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    5 Presidents Set To Help Dedicate George W. Bush's Library

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I suppose. That's what the quote read, perhaps she's catching up with the times.

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    lol barbara bush be trollin'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.