main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Stewart referenced that Weds. night, VL. Pretty remarkable.

Honor the dead by getting on with the people's business, and strengthening the infrastructure of the country so that it can support their families and children. That's how we've always done it.

Now we stumble ass-backwards from manufactured crises into these bottomless pits which only serve the purpose of generating more divisiveness to appease an irrational base of voters who think the "gubment" is coming for them.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm not sure where to put this, but it had to be posted... the spire to the new World Trade Center building has finally been added. It now stands 1776 feet high, the tallest skyscraper in the Western hemisphere.

A picture of the crane putting it on this morning:
    [​IMG]

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I just read about that today. The talking point is that it was built with union labor.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    At this point, I pretty much Benghazi fatigued. That doesn't mean I don't care about the 4 people that tragically lost their lives or that I don't want to find out what happened, so that we can prevent something similar from happening in the future. But when you have the GOP/Tea Party and thier mouthpiece FOX hammering it again, and again, and again (and where was the coverage of the BOSTON Bombing hearings on FOX? To watch FOX yesterday, you would have thought the Benghazi hearings were the only thing of note yesterday). with their 'Gotcha' coverage and their occassional "Will this bring down the Obama Administration." Add to that Karl Rove putting out an ad slamming Hilary Clinton on it (that didn't take long and it's not even 2016 yet), I am just at the point where I don't ever ever want to hear the word Benghazi again.

Maybe that sounds a bit harsh considering what happened there, but when one side continues to harp on it and cry "CONSPIRACY!", then that's the feeling that's going to come out.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am about to hide a couple of people on Facebook, including one of my cousins, because they won't STFU about Benghazi.

Enough. Already.

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    You watched the 24 hour news channels every day for 11 and a half years and you're just now figuring out the GOP hypocrisy?

Alpha-Red likes this.
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    NOT my point. :p

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well it's a good thing the Republican party never lied us into an unnecessary war or anything, or else they'd be looking like shameless hypocrites right about now.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Martha Raddatz is outstanding when she hosts on Sunday morning. Not an ounce of partisanship that I can find, she knows her stuff in foreign affairs from work in the field, and she knows when to cut off or stay out of the conversation.

I'd say FNC/MSNBC should push for her in an effort to make her their Amanpour, but don't think she'd fit or be interested in either network's agenda.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This Binghazi nonsense should make like a tree and get the **** out.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Benghazi.

E.

Ye gods, people.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Bingenazi

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "It's 'leave,' you idiot! Make like a tree and leave! You sound like a damn fool when you say it wrong!"

But in this case, it needs to GTFO actually fits better.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    The fact the GOP has spent more time criticizing HIllary for Benghazi then the President says it all. It is all about 2016 and damaging Hillary because if she decides to run......she will win and it will be by an even bigger margin then Obama did in 2012.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Agree with all. Benghazi is not going to get the GOP anywhere, and every second they drag these dozens of hearings on, less and less is getting done, and they're already the public whipping boy for the gridlock we've had since the last midterms. Best case scenario for the GOP, Obama and Clinton both take hits, I don't see that issue galvanizing the opposition as much as a domestic problem, such as the sputtering job numbers-while the stock market booms-in 2014. Limbaugh, Malkin, Hannity, Levin..sure, they'll get their jollies from the story and their mouthbreathers will continue to cry scandal, whether this ends tomorrow or a year from now- but the GOP needs the middle, and thinking politically, I don't think this story has the juice to get them their seats in the Senate back.

I am interested to see what comes of this IRS story, though. Don't have many details, but could potentially be another rallying cry for the fringe, and one with legs.

17. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    The media and the GOP will talk about the IRS issue for the next couple of weeks.......but from what I have read it seems fairly straightforward. Some hacks in the IRS started going after conservative groups, higher uppers in the IRS found out and squashed it in 2011 and implemented new procedures in 2012, and are now apologizing in 2013.

It is embarrassing and adds to the IRS unsavory reputation, but it ain't "Nixon like" which I have heard from some journalist(I am looking at you Joe Klein.......)

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "Four dead Americans. FOUR DEAD AMERICANS. FOUR DEAD AMERICANS!"

It's like, yeah, so?

What about the thousands of dead Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan?

What about the dead Americans killed by guns because we can't get background checks?

What about all the Americans who are screwed out of health care because of the GOP, or soon will be? That kind of thing can lead to death, you know!

Since when has the GOP ever given a crap about killing off Americans who get in the way of their agenda?

Or is the problem that they simply don't get the whole concept of numbers?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Those make the GOP look bad rather than the Democrats, so they don't count.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
    The problem with Benghazi is three-fold:
    1. Numerous requests for security in the wake of attacks in that area were ignored. Instead, the forces were drawn down.
    2. There is the lack of response - and they seem to be less than straight about the options they had available.
    3. Then there is the story afterward, including how Susan Rice ended up saying stuff that was not true on five Sunday shows. Hicks says they knew from the get-go it was an attack and there never was a protest.

I'll provide an example for #2: There were claims from folks in the Obama Administration that they didn't have tanker support to send planes from Europe. F-16s from Aviano Air Base wouldn't have needed tankers. Three drop tanks, and they have a ferry range of 2280 nautical miles. Round trip from Aviano to Benghazi is about 1,820 nautical miles - the Vipers would have had about 450 nautical miles worth of fuel left. A divert to Naval Air Station Sigonella would have cut the trip down to 1,350 nautical miles, give or take. The short version: Those F-16s may not have been able to save Ambassador Stevens and Sean Smith, but they could have given Woods and Doherty support and could have saved them.

21. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    This.

It's not that I think Benghazi is 'nothing' (although it's probably the next closest thing), but I tend to be skeptical of the same people hysterical over some questionable intelligence that resulted in 4 people dead that brought us the faulty intelligence of 4,500 dead in Iraq. So yeah.

The whole thing is nauseating coming from the right at this point. We have Graham, who's claiming it's worse than Iran-Contra. And Senator Inhofe suggesting impeachment.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  23. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
    Apples and oranges.

Iraq was a case writ large of a bad guy acting like he had a gun, and then getting shot by the cops who - not knowing any better - took the guy's blustering as a threat.

Benghazi was a case of ignoring months of repeated warnings, then lying to the American people for weeks about what really happened to protect Obama's re-election from what would have been a serious blow to the credibility of one of his main campaign talking points ("al-Qaeda is on the run"). There never was a protest outside the consulate, and they knew that as early as 12 September, 2012, yet they told a completely different story that damaged relations with the new Libyan government.

Your self-righteousness is nauseating. I don't think that progressives have ever really loved this country.

24. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Smuggler! Been so long since we've seen you around these parts. I so vividly remember your proclamations of doom for the Obama campaign and musings about how Romney was going to win. It's like it was yesterday.

25. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    This is why I don't take your opinion seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.