main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The use of Darth Maul

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ryan Williamson, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Ryan Williamson

Ryan Williamson Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    I find that Lucas wasted Maul in the prequels, he could've been used all the way up to Revenge of the Sith. I'm not counting the Clone Wars series, just the movies. What do you guys think would've been a better use of Maul during the movies?

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Yes, he could, and this has been mentioned by the fans plenty of times.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    None. Maul's death was "a necessary loss". Maul's purpose was established well enough in TPM. Sidious continuous search for a better apprentice is one of the themes in the prequels. In the end, they are all replaceable. Even Vader.

4. Ryan Williamson

Ryan Williamson Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2015
    I'd have to disagree with you. As much as I love Christopher Lee, I didn't buy Dooku as a big bad guy. Maul fit that bill for me and if they kept him alive we could see a rivalry with him and Obi-Wan be established through the movies.

Drewton likes this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's not what the story was about.

6. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Lucas said that Sidious shouldn't have lost his apprentice, so it wasn't ''a necessary loss.'' like Dooku's death.

7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The answer I give is the same as it has been since then.

No.

He was used perfectly in the movies.

That he was brought back for TCW is an added bonus but ultimately the movies themselves are the ultimate story telling stage of Star Wars.

It forwards the story to where it needed to be.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  8. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Not even remotely a waste. You can't punch bureaucracy in the face and the mastermind needed to keep in the shadows. All Maul ever provided was a physical threat for our heroes to cut loose against and dispose of Qui-Gonn... which he did. Frankly his return and personal vendetta against Kenobi would have just crammed more plot into an already plot heavy film.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Nobody is talking about being a necessary loss for Sidious. I'm saying it was necessary to explore certain themes throughout the movies.

10. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015

So, you're saying having to wade through two and half movies of disposible villains is a theme?

Darth__Lobot, Tython Dawn and Drewton like this.
  11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I said: "Maul's death was "a necessary loss". Maul's purpose was established well enough in TPM. Sidious continuous search for a better apprentice is one of the themes in the prequels. In the end, they are all replaceable. Even Vader."

All the villains are also part of Vader's character: The efficient apprentice. The ex-Jedi turned Sith. The cyborg general.

I'm sure you're going to question a strawman next.

12. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Them being disposable really is a theme. And it's intentionally so. Maul's job was to do the hands-on stuff Sidious could not do. Tyrannus was similar but in addition a political figurehead and leader of the Separatists. Grievous could cull Jedi in person and be a military commander. And all three of them keep Sidious out of the spotlight and can be disposed of and/or replaced on a whim. Anakin was always the first choice heir, the rest were just stopgap options. Yes it's a theme alright.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I wouldn't say so. Sidious only knew about Anakin after Maul was killed. And had Tyranus defeated Anakin in RotS, he would have proven himself (again) as a worthy apprentice to Sidious.

14. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015

Maybe so, but it doesn't make these villains very interesting, because they're placeholders. Such a theme would work better, if Sidious had been featured more prominently in the first two movies, but he wasn't. So, we were stuck with a "Phantom Menace" till the middle of ROTS.

Darth__Lobot and Drewton like this.
  15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Doesn't make them interesting to you. They obviously became interesting to a lot of people. Not that it's supposed to change how you feel about them, but no need to state they aren't very interesting as if it was fact.

Why would he need to be featured more prominently? The theme is there and well established. Sidious doesn't need to be in the forefront for that to be understood.

Defensor and jakobitis89 like this.
  16. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Sidious being nebulous and anonymous was the whole point - he was right there the whole time but no one realised it... in part because he had his little troupe of proxies running around the galaxy as distractions. The Jedi fighting all the time instead of (being able to) tracking down 'the phantom menace' is exactly why they lost. That's kind of the point of Sidious' plot.

oierem likes this.
  17. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Well, actually it is not really established if you haven't seen the OT. Maul is hardly featured in TPM, and dies at the end. Tyrranus isn't introduced until two thirds into AOTC, and even then his relation to Sidious is only established at the end of the film. He's then bumped off at the start of ROTS. Sidious himself is only in a few scenes in TPM and AOTC, and has no real motivations other than revenge against the Jedi. So, where is this theme established?

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  18. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Darth Maul was one of the two things that did really work in Episode I (You could feel the danger around).
    The other was Qui Gon Jinn.
    The rest was a waste.

19. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Hahahahhahahahaahahahhahahahahha^^^^^^^

No.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm talking about the PT.

Are you playing dumb? I'm talking about acolyte's replaceability and you're talking about character screen time as if one is tied to the other. Read my previous comments again. I won't repeat what I've already written. And Sidious has no real motivations? Power isn't enough real motivation?

21. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015

No, I'm talking about the fact that the theme is not well established, if you watch the films in chronological order (I - VI). It's there once you've seen the trilogy as a whole, but the first two films don't establish this theme at all. As I said, Maul was just muscle, and Sidious probably wanted power, as he's an evil dude, but other than him losing his apprentice we really don't learn much about him in TPM. AOTC is set up a mystery, so Dooku's motivation and Sidious motivation by proxy aren't really revealed until the end of the film. This theme is only really established in ROTS, which features another placeholder villain, until Sidious decides to reveal himself.

22. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it would have made no sense for him not to die. he wasn't going to run off , it was him or obi-wan, and beside's it gave us another sith lord in the next movie. i think it was cool to see multiple sith with different styles

23. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I was very disappointed to lose him so early. He seemed to be more an assassin than a true Sith Lord, but I would really have liked to see him develop as a villain before dying. He is pretty flat, which is a shame... he really is quite intimidating, and Ray Park's depiction is masterful. I would have liked to see both Maul and Dooku in AOTC, stupid Rule of Two be damned.

24. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Yes, but none of them had any character development, and they had about a dozen lines between them.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  25. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    I dont understand why people dont see the true antagonist working with Palpatine throughout the PT, the battledroids.

Darth__Lobot and DrDre like this.