The Vacancy: Who Will Be Next to Join the Supreme Court?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Vaderize03, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LtNOWIS Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, they're not all fire-breathing conservatives. At least one of those clerks went on to become a gay, moderate Republican.
  2. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    But the question is, would Thomas have picked him had he known Berry was gay?
  3. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    Is it likely that Justice Ginsburg will retire soon?

She's had a lot of health concerns in the last couple years (pancreatic cancer, fainting), her husband recently died, and she looks very frail.

She's usually labelled by others as one of the four "liberals" on the Supreme Court (along with Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan), so she'll probably prefer Obama or a Democrat to nominate her successor.

In 2009, Justice Souter announced in April he would retire, Sonia Sotomayor was nominated in May and confirmed in August .

In 2010, Justice Stevens announced in April he would retire , Elena Kagan was nominated in May and confirmed in August.

Will Ginsburg soon follow?

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/Ruth_Bader_Ginsburg%2C_SCOTUS_photo_portrait.jpg]
  4. Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Depends, especially on how strong Obama looks going into economic/debt/budget fights with the House come this spring, and also the vote to raise the debt ceiling.

A Supreme Court fight could strengthen or weaken the president, it's hard to tell.

I will say this: if she doesn't do it this year, then don't expect it in an election year. Nothing would get out the GOP base more than a chance to narrow down the liberal bloc by capitalizing on a Supreme Court fight to help get Obama out. Unlikely, you say? Gay marriage initiatives in 2004 are credited with helping aid conservative turnout in many states, giving W the election.

A Supreme Court fight could have the same effect.

Peace,

V-03
  5. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    Although, to be fair, people aren't VOTING on the Supreme Court part of things, so I don't think it would have as big of an effect.
  6. Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I disagree with you on that one, Lowie.

SC justices are a major factor for me whenever I step into the voting booth and one of the main reasons I don't vote republican these days; I'm not into having the SC (or the federal judiciary, for that matter) being stacked with constitutional reactionaries.

I also know an awful lot of people who think like I do around where I live, so I don't think that it is an isolated phenomena, despite what people might say in polls.

Peace,

V-03
  7. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    Not saying it would have zero effect, I know that some people vote based on that, I'm just saying that it's removed enough that the effect wouldn't be as significant. I'd also question the level to which people pay attention to the Supreme Court to be strongly influenced by it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.