main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Vader Show. (cue Happy Days theme)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AdamBertocci, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    So TFN is reporting that maybe there'll be a TV series about Vader between Episodes III and IV.

I, for one, am game. But, really, they'd have to make it good. When dealing with Vader, you gotta have the best of the best! (For one thing, the voice. They must sign James Earl Jones, not an imitator... there is no substitute.)

Anyway. Discuss.

Rick McCallum loves you!

2. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Without JEJ, it would be crap. But if they do make the show I am sure that Vader will not appear in every episode. Likely it will follow the adventures of one or a group of Jedi on the run from the Empire, with plenty of crazy planets and kooky aliens along the way.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Good choice for an era...it isn't likely to step on any continuity, so it'll make everybody happy...and pave the way for the inevitable Rogue Squadron series [face_batting]

And, while they should be able to get JEJ, it isn't impossible to find a good Vader immitator- there was some chap who was being hired by alot of the high-end fan film makers a few years back since he managed to do such a great job (i think he was hired by Lucasarts afterwards for the role too, but I could be wrong about that).

Heck- that guy sounded more like JEJ than even JEJ did for his redubbed Vader line in ESB.

4. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Well, I am all for Vader. But I would be afraid it would be dumbed down.

If this is true, then do all the Jedi die in EpIII?

I personally think it would hurt the movie itself (EpIII) if we didnt see the Jedi ("hypothetically") all die aside from the ones we know of in the OT.

And voice casting? Who would Vader fight?

While I would love it, I cant see it happening.

5. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    I like the idea of of a series set in that era, but I'm not too enthusiastic about one that follows Vader as the central character.

Likely it will follow the adventures of one or a group of Jedi on the run from the Empire, with plenty of crazy planets and kooky aliens along the way.

That was my hope for future small screen SW. I think following one Jedi would be interesting... having to evade capture while adapting to life without the Jedi Order. If he found a cave and a spandex suit he could become Mynockman.

Or they could remake the '70s Superfriends series with Jedi.

6. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Hey it is inevitable that a Rogue Squadron show will be made?? I do like the idea of a show bridging the gap between 3 and 4. You could even have the lad who plays Mon Mothma make an appearance as well as Jimmy Smits.

7. Sith_Messenger

Sith_Messenger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    The timing for this is so weird because we actually did our last radio show (sunday) about "SW on TV" and the idea of a Vader show was actually sent to us. See my sig for more details.

I'm 100% for a Vader show. Its my favorite Era.

8. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Maybe this is gonna be like those 80s anthology shows. I can see it now: "Star Wars: Tales From The Dark Side" :p

9. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I love the idea. The more Star Wars the better IMHO. I thin for some reason it will just be a movie like the Ewok films were.

10. aodhjedi

aodhjedi Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 1999
    I would be stoked if they made a Rogue Squadron or Vader series but *only* if its done properly. The Clone Wars manga style series looks like crap to me. I'd much prefer the CGI style they used on Starship Troopers. Come on it's ILM FFS.

11. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    My prayers have been answered. I brought up this idea last year. I'm SOOOOO happy. Hopefully it follows Vader. Hopefully it's a really dark, gritty show. Hopefully it's animated. The style of the Clone Wars Cartoon doesn't really bug me, but I think the style of the Jutice League is more appropriate, or perhaps of the Spawn cartoon. (Though the animation itself would have to be cleaned up.)

12. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I think they would run out of ideas pretty fast, I'd prefer more Clone Wars episodes....

13. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    No Vader-centric show. It'd get stale way too fast. HE would get stale. It's not like they can give him a wacky sidekick as a comic foil now, is it?

Methinks it would be MUCH better, a lot less self-limiting, if a Star Wars tv show materialized, but were an anthology series. Stories could be set all over the SW timeline, from the classic era to prequel times, to the KOTOR period to what happens 10,000 years after the fall of the Empire. Would "flesh out" SW extra-movie canon thing once and for all, we'd get to see SW with a greater sense of historic fullness, a lot more actors and production crew would get a chance to work on the saga, and what I'd really look forward to is how many writers would LOVE to add something to SW for the screen.

If that last one didn't entice ya enough, how's this sound then: letting Harlan Ellison or J. Michael Straczynski pen a Star Wars episode :D

14. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000

I think they would run out of ideas pretty fast, I'd prefer more Clone Wars episodes....[/b][hr][/blockquote]As nice and as fuzzy as seeing more of those might be, I think that that particular era will be seen as in need of temporary "retirement" in another few years, with folks ready for more Empire- and Vader-centric action that a potential series like this one could afford.

And whomever just mentioned bringing onboard Jimmy Smits...we're both simpatico. Show us the events from those years -- hell, one could even work in stories and/or references to other storylines, such as the [i]Eye of Palpatine[/i] affair -- and maybe even show us where the [i]Droids[/i] series picks up.

Live-action is out the window as far as I'm concerned: the hardcore audience would never fully buy alternate actors playing the film characters' roles this soon after the completion of the movies themselves, versus recasting the roles from the [b]original[/b] trilogy today. With animation, however, you're almost certainly guaranteed to snag at least [b]some[/b] of the progenitor thesps for the parts; which would give to it that needed legitimacy.

I don't for one second think that even Anthony Daniels would be willing to don the C-3PO codpiece on a weekly basis.

15. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    As an addendum to what Chris just said above...absolutely.

An animated anthology series -- with Lucas perhaps onboard in at least a storyline-advisory capacity -- would be marvelous, and this time, certainly "non-Infinities." [face_laugh]

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Hey it is inevitable that a Rogue Squadron show will be made??<<

I'd like to think so [face_batting]

>>Methinks it would be MUCH better, a lot less self-limiting, if a Star Wars tv show materialized, but were an anthology series. Stories could be set all over the SW timeline<<

Or, evenm better, make an anthology series in chronological order....such as with EU adaptations as outlined in Quest's EU TV Show Layout!

I think too many people underestimate the audience- people would accept new actors in existing character roles, if they were given time to grow on fans. Cause, let's face it, when it comes to the general audience's interest in SW, the characters are second to the lightsabers and space battles. Give them those (in live action, to be more like the films they want more of to begin with), and they'll stick around for the characters regardless of whose playing them.

That,a nd don't forget that SW fandom has accepted different Lukes, Hans and Leia for 25+ years: there is zero difference between casting an actor who looks or sounds slightly different than Mark Hamil as Luke Skywalker than there is with casting a different voice actor to play Luke Skywalker in a Radio Drama or Video Game, or any different than a comic artist or 3D graphics artists depicting Luke slightly different than Mark's image or even an author writing a slightly "off" characterization of Luke in a novel.

No difference whatsoever. Hell, and we know for a fact that other people who have played those roles can actually surpass the work of the original actors in some cases- take Ann Sachs as Princess Leia in the Radio Dramas as an example.

And with the sheer volume of unknown-or-little-known actors out there, I think it's a safe bet to say there si someone out there who, for example, would look similar to Carrie Fisher, but be able to act as well as Ann Sachs.

17. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    A title for such a tv series could simply be Empire or Star Wars: Empire

The most imporatant thing to me will be the casting. Jimmy Smits has starred on my tv series so geting him to appear wouldn't be real hard.

Ian McDiarmid. Don't know if he would be interested in tv.

Hayden Christensen doesn't have to appear. They can just put a big guy in the Vader costume and let James Earl Jones do the talking. James Earl Jones doesn't have to do the voice either. The actors LucasArts has used are quite good.

If the series was about a lone Jedi on the run from Vader everybody would know that Vader will eventually kill him. Any Jedi characters should be supporting actors only.

I would like to see Jimmy Smits have the starring role of the series. He would be the best character to center a show around.

Whould the series last a full season of 24 1 hour episodes or should it follow the HBO and USA approach of 12 to 13 episodes season?

I say go for the shorter seasons so that years story arc can be set in place.

18. KÃ¥l

KÃ¥l Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    I think a live-action TV show is a terrible idea. There is absolutely no chance it would live up to the movies in terms of action and spectacle. I mean, think Voyager, Enterprise, Farscape, etc. - boring! A Rogue Squadron series would suck as even the comics series was lame.

A Vader series is a bizarre idea - the movie series is supposed to be Anakin's story, so to add to his story arc as a live-action show would be odd.

Animation, on the other hand - yeah, that could be good.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> I think a live-action TV show is a terrible idea. There is absolutely no chance it would live up to the movies in terms of action and spectacle. I mean, think Voyager, Enterprise, Farscape, etc. - boring!<<

First, you obviously never watched Farscape much. Second, shows like Farscape, Babylon 5 and SG-1 have all had excellent examples of action and spectacle done for TV, and production values and effects qualities continue to rise.

Action, effects and spectacle are the no-brainer element of a SW Tv show..it's the story you gotta worry about most.

20. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    This sounds like a horrible idea.

21. DARTH_MAC

DARTH_MAC Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    There is only one way this could work. Animated show.

22. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    This would only work if ILM took the care to produce each episode as perfectly as they make the movies.

This would only work if GL directed and wrote it.

This would only work if James Earl Jones, Jimmy Smitts and Ian McDiarmid were cast.

This have to be on network TV (because I don't have cable)

If they do all that it will be fine.
    But I doubt they will do it all.

23. TheWord

TheWord Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    This would only work if ILM took the care to produce each episode as perfectly as they make the movies.

Perhaps.

This would only work if GL directed and wrote it.

Tell it to Irvin Kershner.

This would only work if James Earl Jones, Jimmy Smitts and Ian McDiarmid were cast.

I agree that stand-in actors would be unacceptable.

This have to be on network TV (because I don't have cable)

I do.

24. KÃ¥l

KÃ¥l Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    I have a horrible vision of something with the Star Wars name appearing on TV featuring a bunch of people - some with funny masks, some not - standing around the same sets every week spouting technobabble.

Look at the amount of time it takes to make a Star Wars movie - does anyone think we would get the same quality and excitement with a TV show? Look at Young Indy. The Indiana Jones films are among the greatest ever made, but although Young Indy was a quality show, it was far from the best TV show ever.

If there is to be more live-action Star Wars after Episode III, it should be on the big screen, with or without Lucas being heavily involved.

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    As touched on earlier, 25 or so years have passed since JEJ voiced Vader in the movies. Over that time people's voices change (heard Carrie Fisher lately?).

It is entirely possible that JEJ doesn't actually sound like he did a quarter of a century ago, and if that's the case, hiring non-JEJ voice talent that sounds like the OT Vader would not be the terrible / blashphemous option people are going on about here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.