main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Value of Sacrifice- part II -AU- Solos/Fels, Kyp, Zekk, OCs...Thrawn-clone?! - complete 2/12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LexiLupin, Oct 19, 2011.

1. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    LoriLynn-I love that Jaina's anger has finally boiled over. She's been holding it in for far too long, it just sucks that Gennevi got sucked into it. I would love to know what happened at the Durron apartment after Jaina and Jag left.

Yeah, I felt like Jaina needed at least one major confrontation in each story I wrote. :p Fits her character.
    And not gonna lie, the post-argument Durron household might just be a filler chapter I write later. It was one of those little details that wasn't relevant enough to take space for, but... well, it might be fun to pen.

Also I couldn't help but notice that there are a great many people who think the Leyla and Vulcor have something going on. I guess they aren't as good about keeping it underwraps as they think. [face_whistling] ;)

Yeah, funny how everyone EXCEPT the two of them think there's something going on... [face_laugh]

Chapter 3

Coruscant

After three days of debate and deliberation, Senator Polla Essada of Gyndine emerged the easy successor of Ferrin Belotab as the next Galactic Alliance Chief of State. The ceremony in the plaza of the Executive Building was, perhaps, not as grandiose as would normally befit the ascension of a new leader, but the solemnity of the circumstances surrounding the resignation of the former Chief of Staff and the election of a new one dictated a certain low-key quality to the proceedings. Indeed, Essada had first suggested forgoing the public ceremony altogether, but her predecessor had pointed out that the people liked to feel involved and, especially in the case of a Senate-only election, it was fitting to give the general populace an open, if superficial, look at their new representative to the galaxy.

Anonymous in the masses of people present in the plaza were too lithe figures, heavily swathed in formal robes, faces concealed by thick veils in a custom proper to their affected home world, should anyone ask, watched the proceedings absently while they, in fact, had their attentions focused on the mood of the crowd, on any abnormalities in attitude, in intent?

?They?d be foolish to try something today,? the figure on the left murmured in their native tongue. ?Acting against Essada would only signal to anyone with half a clue that Belotab?s downfall was orchestrated.?

?But,? her companion muttered softly back, ?to act against Belotab would begin Essada?s rule with fear, would keep the government on edge and distracted from the next phase.?

The first considered a moment, watching calmly as Ferrin Belotab and Polla Essada shook hands and the office was formally resigned by one and taken up by the other. The crowd was surprisingly subdued; Belotab had been a popular leader until the recent discontent began with the political upheavals and planetary secessions, and the people seemed to remember that they had once truly liked the man who was quietly stepping down to permit the Galactic Alliance to carry on with maximum efficiency. ?Essada will be more easily swayed if she is off her guard,? she finally surmised. ?The political stage is set- we must now look to the military.?

People milled about them and paid the two females little mind. After all, for the few who might have been able to hear them speak, Cheunh was a remarkably unknown language in this part of the galaxy.

X---X---X---X

Kyp took it to be a good sign when Jaina answered the door of the apartment with little delay. Less encouraging was the fact that as soon as she had, she turned around and retreated back towards the sitting room; but as she made no obvious demand for him to leave, either verbally or in the Force, he chose to take that as an invitation to follow. He slapped the pad on the wall and the door slid shut with a hiss behind him. When he reached the other room, Jaina was sitting in an armchair, her feet drawn up and arms wrapped around her legs.

?Good timing,? she remarked tonelessly. ?Coincidence??

He shook his head slo

2. LoriLynn

LoriLynn Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2011
    I am so happy you brought Keldon Lassiter into this! He's an interesting character, and I really really hope there will be some sort of interaction between him and Gennevi. There's definitely a brother/sister dynamic there that just begs to be explored.

Really looking forward to seeing Naviin running around causing havoc on the Errant Venture. I'm sure hijinks are afoot (tomfoolery if you will ;) )

3. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Chapter 4

Dawn?s Folly

A sense of expectation, laced with anticipation, pulled Leyla from her bed aboard the Interdictor Cruiser and led her to wander her way slowly to the bridge of the ship. She got turned around once along the way- she had avoided the bridge and its confusing inhabitants in the days they had been traveling through hyperspace- and a passing crewman directed her stiltedly towards the appropriate turbolift that would deposit her on the correct level of the ship, his voice a thickly accented Basic.

She walked slowly into the command center, unsure whether her presence would be frowned upon or not. None of the passing chiss commented though, and when she caught Cem?s eye as he looked up from the navigation console, he just nodded absently to her and went back to his task, conversing in low tones with the sergeant at the station.

Leyla went to the largest viewport on the bridge- smaller than that which would be found on an ordinary cruiser, given the more discreet placement of the command center in the vessels modified to chiss standards- and stared out at the overwhelming sight of star lines streaking past. They must be close to emerging from hyperspace for the protective tinting to be lowered, she decided.

She felt the alien presence approaching and stiffened- and then fought the urge to jump when he spoke close by her ear, having assumed he was just walking past. ?Jedi Solo-Fel.?

Gritting her teeth in irritation at her own tension, she remained staring steadfastly ahead. ?Admiral??

He chuckled lowly as he moved to stand by her side, heightening her frustration. ?I am no admiral, Jedi Solo-Fel, though others will insist on so-calling me. It took your uncle three weeks to quit the habit, I do believe.? She was silent, wondering if he would go about his business or if she should retreat to the living levels once more. ?I wonder if we might speak, you and I.?

So much for that idea. Leyla glanced over her shoulder to see Cem watching the two of them closely for a moment before he looked down again. She bit her lip. ?Fine.?

?You identified Syndic Nabrin at a glance,? he commented mildly. ?He says you?ve never met.?

The question was evident in his words, if not in his tone. ?Sir-?

?Thrawn.?

She glanced at him, lips pursed, and continued. ?My father spent the first eleven years of my life first fighting alongside the Chiss and later serving as an envoy and an ambassador for the Ascendancy. Few and far between though my visits to Csilla were, I had enough contact there and at his embassy to become familiar with the colors of the Ruling Families. I recognized the green of the Third house and beyond that? well, I couldn?t very well imagine a legitimate force being so far out of Chiss space. As the syndic has been purportedly missing for several years, it was an easy assumption.? He nodded once and seemed to accept her explanation. Leyla hesitated a moment and then turned to face him, steeling her resolve. ?My turn then- why separate us, when you first brought us aboard? Surely you knew that would only heighten our suspicions??

The corner of his mouth quirked upwards. ?I am surprised you have not come to that answer on your own.?

She scowled slightly and eyed him calculatingly. ?By pulling us into separate hangars, you knew we wouldn?t attempt to fight our way out, not until we had located one another again.?

?Of course.?

?Wrong.?

?Oh?? a brow rose smoothly.

Her expression was one of pure exasperation. ?If it were that simple, you?d have had Cem meet us, I wouldn?t fight my own uncle. You wanted me, alone, just as you have done now. And I want to know why.?

Rather than become affronted at her almost accusing tone, Thrawn looked positively delighted. ?Oh, but you are a crafty one, my young Jedi. You have turned my request to speak with you to your own advantage, to seek the answers you?ve desired since you walked onto the bridge nearly five days ago.? She continued watching him, brows raised, and a light chuckle slipped past his lips. ?You are not to be distracted, I

4. LoriLynn

Aug 13, 2011
    ...I wouldn?t fight my own uncle.
    I'm not entirely sure that's true. I think if Leyla were backed into a corner, she would not only fight, but take out Cem.

...are you any less a Fel for it??
    ?I suppose time will tell,? she murmured almost inaudibly, closing her eyes as she tried to ignore the confusing emotions that she still picked up from her mother and from Kyp.

I do wonder how Leyla would be acting if she were around her mother and Kyp. Of course, if she were there then that epic argument probably wouldn't have happened. So I guess the point is moot...[face_thinking]

?He also tells me that Jag is going with you; that Gennevi is accompanying Kyp.?
    Her smile was charming. ?Well, you know- it won?t be all hard work.?

Really?! o_O That gives me another idea for your birthday fic [face_whistling]

?I think that, the other day, I finally managed to sever it completely. It?s probably for the best, ultimately, but it was unintentional and? it hurt.?
    Whether or not the bond was severed, Jaina and Kyp will always have that connection. And not just concerning Leyla, but underneath there's always something there. And that's just something they're going to have to live with.

?You think it impossible- an abomination, perhaps- for a chiss and a human to intrigue one another in such a way??
    Not at all! I'd love to see Chiss-human offspring. They'd be such cute little, blue skinned beings! [face_love]

?But no, Syndic, my interest in the girl is not so? primal. Regardless, she is little more than a child, by human standards.?
    ?Her companions don?t seem to think so.?
    Uh huh. One companion specifically. ;)

I love your conclusion about Leyla's heritage, it was so dead on. She really is a unique being (and such a fun character!)

5. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Lori- I'm not entirely sure that's true. I think if Leyla were backed into a corner, she would not only fight, but take out Cem.
    Okay fair, but in the context of this situation (where there was really no threat after all) it's true.

Really?! raised_brow That gives me another idea for your birthday fic
    :D Oh??? :D March is WAY too far away...

Not at all! I'd love to see Chiss-human offspring. They'd be such cute little, blue skinned beings!
    [face_laugh] So they would. In fact, I just imagine that baby chiss are cute anyway. Call me crazy...

I love your conclusion about Leyla's heritage, it was so dead on. She really is a unique being (and such a fun character!)
    And what better way to celebrate that uniqueness than by writing a story where she's torn ten different ways by conflicting loyalties? :D

A/N: Some references to this section of ar'krai, for anyone who isn't familiar with the term.

Chapter 5

Coruscant

As Jag walked into the maintenance bay of the hangar in the Jedi temple, he couldn?t help but smile at the way the sight before him evoked images of when he?d first met Jaina Solo. Shoulder deep in the access hatch behind the space where the astromech usually sat, a mixture of clangs and curses echoed around the vast chamber until Jag cleared his throat loudly. She extracted her arm- grease stains up to the elbow- and sat up and grinned down at her husband and son.

?Young ears, darling.?

?Like it?s nothing he?s not already heard from my father,? she scoffed teasingly, but curtailed the less-than-savory language. Pulling a rag- also grease-stained- from her pocket, she wiped her hands relatively ineffectually and then slid to the edge of the craft and leapt down gracefully, cushioning her fall with the Force. Jag leaned forward and gave her a carefully placed kiss- she somehow had managed to smudge dirt across her cheeks as well- and looked appraisingly up at the fighter. ?I?m almost done here,? she answered his unspoken question. ?Anyway, you should hear Kyp over on the far side of the hangar.?

?Oh? Is he not keeping his craft up to proper standards??

Jaina smirked drily. ?He?s been a bit lax in maintenance since removing to Coruscant. You?d almost think he had other matters to distract him.?

?As a Jedi, I?m sure such would never be the case.? He looked up at the fighter again. ?So whose craft is this??

They walked side-by-side, Naviin staring wide-eyed around the massive bay as they circled around towards the other side. ?It?s Jysella?s,? Jaina murmured quietly. ?She?s out with Mirax and Syal; once they?re done, they?ll drop her on Ossus to bring mine and we can trade at the Venture.?

?Don?t sound so relieved,? he teased.

?I miss Sneaky,? she pouted. ?Have you heard from Wedge and Iella??

He nodded and spoke softly. ?They?ll leave Corellia tomorrow and rendezvous with Booster near Commenor. And?? he hesitated, ?I spoke with my parents; they?re lifting off tomorrow as well. It sounds like they?re going to take care of a few things back on Corellia and then go back out to Bastion.? Jaina looked up at him in surprise. ?They offered to take Navi with them,? he mumbled still quieter, not wanting their son to hear.

?Why? What did you tell them??

He shrugged. ?I didn?t explicitly say what I?ll be doing in the coming weeks, but they?re smart enough to have guessed by now; and with Wedge and Iella joining Booster as well??

A silence fell between them even as Naviin hurried ahead to where Kyp was working on his own fighter; he managed to cease his own curses of frustration long before the seven-year-old reached him, however. ?You?re thinking about it,? Jaina commented mildly.

Her tone wasn?t accusing, but Jag felt a little defensive. ?I?wonder if there isn?t some merit in the idea,? he confessed. ?We?re talking about training squadrons here, Jaina; that?s not exactly work that lends itself to a great deal of free time. And yes, Wedge

6. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Chapter 6

Wild Space ? Planetoid 5249125

The story of Yanis Kloru was confusing and laden with various gaps of knowledge, most notable of which was the period of time in which he too had disappeared from galactic record, reappearing some four years later under an assumed name and involving himself in local politics of the most populous planet of the Ithorian Remnant, Borao. And on Borao, he had risen slowly but steadily over the next six or seven years, until he had earned his highest promotion to date-

Yanis Kloru had been elected a senator of the GA two years prior, going by the pseudonym of Ryoqim, with a fabricated background and family history. And because of the devastation of the planet of Ithor? there was only so far one could go, even if deemed necessary, to look into such things. And the ithorians? they tended to be on the trusting side.

They also tended to be strictly peaceful beings, so the irony was not lost on Leyla and Vulcor.

And from inside the Alliance, he was apparently slowly tearing it apart, steadily, not acting rashly? to create, as Cem had said, chaos.

Leyla fought against the impending wave of incredulity as she tried to follow everything Cem was explaining to them. ?So? he throws the whole system into disorder by orchestrating the departure of gradually more important systems from the Alliance- to the point that, lack of culpability aside, the backlash forces Ferrin Belotab to make the choice between stepping quietly aside or seeing the Senate dissolve into pointless argument regarding his removal. What happens then? Does he set himself up to be the next Chief of State??

Cem shook his head. ?Actually,? he nodded towards the eickarie major, ?the Senate has deliberated and made their choice- a Polla Essada of Gyndine was sworn in shortly before we returned.?

?We suspect,? Thrawn broke in smoothly before Leyla could continue, ?that the senator has already attained as ambitious a position as his needs warrant. Just under a year ago, he was nominated to fill a vacant position in the Naval Oversight Committee.?

She sighed. ?So it wasn?t about who became the next Chief of State- just that the Alliance face the trauma of losing faith in its leader.?

Her uncle nodded. ?Again, a lot of this is conjecture, but? it seems likely that he concerned himself more with the military. One like Nek Bwua?tu would be difficult to manipulate- it took the mass murder of millions of bothans to get the Council to bend to demands- but Cha Niathal?? he shrugged wearily. ?We have to operate under the assumption that Dac is among those threatened worlds, and that Admiral Niathal is compromised.?

?And we can?t just capture or kill the senator because??? Vulcor let the question hang in the air.

?Because,? Leyla murmured, ?he clearly has assets in place, standing by, waiting to unleash these pathogens on unsuspecting worlds. Until we can both locate each and every such weapon and locate whatever site he is using to store or manufacture them, the problem is, at best, left unsolved, at worst, turns into a galactic catastrophe.?

?An accurate and to-the-point summation,? Cem said.

The irritation that had remained poorly concealed in Vulcor was steadily growing into a hot anger as he did his own inner analysis of all the information which had been presented to them since they?d been picked up. ?Let me see if I understand this,? he said in a dangerously soft voice. ?You,? he glared daggers at Thrawn, ?directed the development of a genocidal pathogen which you,? he turned to the syndic, ?altered against advisement and then lost. And now, nearly two decades later, four million have already lost their lives and, when it comes down to it, it?s chiefly the fault of either- or both- of you, first and foremost??

?Also an accurate and to-the-point summation,? Thrawn conceded evenly. ?We have not once denied responsibility for our failings.? His glowing eyes slid from Vulcor to Leyla and back again. ?And so knowing what it is that we face- will you join us??

Vulcor shoo

7. LoriLynn

Aug 13, 2011
    Wow...I guess Zekk and Tahlia have been pretty busy! [face_whistling] Starting their own Jedi order, collaborating with the Empire of the Hand, and...what was that other thing? Oh yeah....HAVING A BABY!! =D= You know...no big there.

And while I'm on the topic of mushiness, I LOVED the Jaina/Jag moment in the last chapter. And Kyp playing with Naviin? Too cute! He's so good with children, he really should have some of his own. [face_whistling] Oh and also, the Solo-Fel dinner get together was a nice touch.

Now as far as plot is concerned, I feel like I'm starting to see how all the little pieces of this massively epic puzzle are coming together. You had me lost there for a while. I could see a few pieces clicking but some of the other were still floating aimlessly. No more.

And now I'm REALLY excited for the next chapter. You're really going to make me wait till after Christmas? Humbug! ;)

8. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Chapter 7

Errant Venture

Mirax Terrik Horn gave her father a kiss on the cheek- Syal Antilles followed suit- and they walked around the body of the sizeable cargo hauler to where the cargo bay was already open. A heavy-duty magnetic lift was in the process of attaching at key points to the first of seven X-wing fighters and prepared to move it to one of the maintenance pads that had already been set up in one of the lowest hangar decks of the ship, one that had not been used for any real purpose in years.

?You?ve gotten a lot done,? Mirax nodded approvingly as she surveyed the maintenance hangar. ?Not a bad showing, for an old man like yourself.?

Booster frowned down at his daughter. ?I?ll have a suitably appropriate retort for you after I take my mid-afternoon nap,? he teased. ?And how are you, Lieutenant Antilles?? he smiled beamingly at the blonde woman. ?Got things squared away with your squadron??

?Yes, I do, Mister T,? she winked at him. ?As it turns out, folding the Fifth Fleet worked in my favor- with all the extra pilots being shuffled around, they were doing a lot of unscheduled rotations, giving people training assignments to relax on solid ground again, that sort of thing. The admiral just? tweaked my datafiles a bit. I can be gone three months easy before anyone really notices, maybe even up to six.?

He shook his head and chuckled. ?An Antilles and a Fel flying together again. Though I think last time, the seniority was the other way around.?

?I figure I can jockey for the two-flight lead position,? she grinned.

?We can fight for it.?

The three of them turned to see Jysella Horn, helmet tucked under one arm, strolling into the hangar. She came to stand between her mother and grandfather, smirking challengingly at her longtime friend. Booster put an arm around his granddaughter, but shook his head mournfully at Mirax. ?Both you and Wedge have daughters who are flying now. I am getting old.?

X---X---X---X

?Olly seems very taken with you,? Leyla finally remarked one night, about a week after her arrival on the muggy planet.

Cem gave a half-shrug as best he could while he carried the sleeping boy over to his crib and carefully laid him down. Leyla tossed him a forgotten stuffed animal and he tucked it in the crook of one of Olyxes?s elbows; the toddler drew his arm unconsciously around it while his other hand crept up to his face and he stuck his thumb in his mouth. ?I try to see him as much as possible when his parents are forced away. And should something happen to them? they?ve entrusted me to see to his future welfare.?

Her brow rose in mild surprise. ?Would you adopt him??

Her uncle shook his head. ?That would be? hardly desirable. My foreseeable future is out here, in the shadows, and they don?t truly want their son raised in such a life. No, one way or another, they want Olyxes returned to GA space when it is safe for him. If something were to happen to Zekk and Tahlia, it was actually recommended that I speak with your grandmother regarding finding him suitable guardianship until he is of age to take up fulltime Jedi training.?

A morbid part in the back of Leyla?s mind wondered whether her mother and stepfather had this conversation more than eighteen years ago when they were leaving her in the care of Kam and Tionne so they could rejoin the fight against the Yuuzhan Vong. And just like little Olly, Leyla had been known to only a very few people, and she supposed it would have fallen to her uncle Luke to reveal the true story of her existence if necessary.

?That makes sense,? she shook away those thoughts and smiled lightly back up at Cem as he took up a chair across from her own. They were sitting in the nursery where, Leyla had learned in the past several days, Olyxes stayed under the supervision of Malani or Tawina, two young chiss girls whose parents were among the auxiliary support crew on the base. Otherwise, Zekk and Tahlia kept quarters in the same dorm-style building where Leyla and Vulcor had been billet

9. LoriLynn

Aug 13, 2011
    Dear Vulcor & Tahlia,
    I'm sorry I ever doubted you or questioned your motives. I thought you had gone rogue and were verging on the darkside. I apologize. I see now that you've been very busy helping to save the galaxy in your own special way. Good luck with that one!
    Also, I'm really glad you decided to have a baby. Was that a conscious choice or was it a..uh...'Will of the Force' sort of thing? I'm betting on the latter. Either way, congrats! [:D]

*~~~*~~~*~~~*

Dear Cem,
    I'm starting to like you. I don't necessarily trust you, but I think I like you. Don't blow it.

10. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    LoriLynn- Also, I'm really glad you decided to have a baby. Was that a conscious choice or was it a..uh...'Will of the Force' sort of thing? I'm betting on the latter. Either way, congrats! [:D]
    Maybe you'll just have to explore that one on your own, Lori- shine? ;)

Dear Cem,
    I'm starting to like you. I don't necessarily trust you, but I think I like you. Don't blow it.

I'm glad you feel that way; I think Leyla feels that way. Let's see if it works out for all parties involved. :D

Chapter 8

Errant Venture

?You getting a little old for this, Master Horn?? He shot Jaina a quelling look, and she grinned, that infamous Solo smirk. On Jaina?s other side stood Kyp Durron, and the three of them quietly surveyed the collection of Jedi they?d rounded up on such quick notice and gotten to the Errant Venture. Two levels above them, Jag and Gennevi were having a similar introductory meeting with their pilots who had mostly been suggested by Darklighter and later approved by Gennevi. ?Not a bad group,? she finally decided.

Ben Skywalker and his two friends from his earliest days at the Jedi academy, Battek and Tivan, a twi?lek and bothan, were the youngest of those gathered. Jaina forced aside the bitter thought that Leyla should have been here with them and turned her attention from her young cousin to Corran?s son Valin and his friends Bazel Warv, Yaqeel Saav?etu, and Natua Wan, a romoan, bothan, and falleen respectively. Valin?s younger sister Jysella, though a Jedi, was to fly with Jag?s squadron and alongside her lifelong friend Syal Antilles.

Rounding out their numbers were a third Jedi Master, Octa Ramis, her former apprentice Seha Dorvald, and a second falleen Jedi named Thann Mithric. Thirteen Jedi in total- a full squadron, plus one in reserve or, more likely, Corran would focus on training and tactics and leave the actual flying to those younger than he.

The strange- yet beneficial- aspect of basing operations out of the Errant Venture was that there was plenty of available space. The two squadrons in the lower decks were well aware of one another?s existence, but remained isolated for training purposes, though they shared a single deck for quarters and dining facilities. More importantly though, their decks were effectively cut off from the public areas of Booster Terrik?s mobile shadow-port. And with their arrivals staggered, and materiel delivered in several small cargo shipments- nothing unusual for Terrik?s normal operations- their presences in the bright red Star Destroyer were unknown to the oblivious patrons above.

Of course, that could all change in an instant if they were forced to launch on a moment?s notice. Could make things interesting, anyway.

Jaina sensed a new presence, and half-turned to see Wedge Antilles approaching, expression serious and a bit bemused. He came quietly to stand on Corran?s other side and murmured quietly, ?Corran, Jaina- can you spare a minute??

Before she could even answer, Kyp was already moving forward to get the attention of their new squadron members, giving Jaina and Corran an opening to leave quietly with Wedge while Kyp ran through the basics of what they hoped to accomplish in the coming weeks.

They followed Wedge up to the middle level, what Jaina liked to think of as the neutral ground between the two squadrons. He led them into a small lounge where Iella was already sitting with Gennevi and Jag in old but comfortable looking squashy chairs. The three newcomers took up seats and Wedge leaned forward to meet Gennevi?s icy blue eyes intently. ?Gennevi, when Gavin came to you on Coruscant and asked you to undertake this project, what did he tell you about Nek Bwua?tu??

Confused glances were exchanged around the table. Gennevi blinked a couple of times, but responded haltingly. ?He, ah- he said that Admiral Bwua?tu had approached him immediately after being relieved of his duties as Supreme Commander. That he gave cryptic warnings with no detail, but advised h

11. LoriLynn

Aug 13, 2011
    So you're telling me that Jaina, Jag, Kyp, Gennevi, Wedge, Iella, Corran (and I'm assuming that Mirax will be returning once she finishes her business on Kuat) are on the Errant Venture all at the same time? Well if that doesn't sound like a party, I don't know what does. It's a shame they have to worry about all that 'preemptively avoiding a war' stuff. I would LOVE to see how these people spend their down time. [face_dancing] (And I mean that in the dirtiest way possible [face_whistling] )

As for the scene between Leyla and Zekk, let me just say that it could have been a lot more awkward when they were talking about Jaina. I worked for someone who I later found out was my mom's ex-bf. Talk about a weird summer. [face_laugh]

Oh and I'm sure that if anyone can stop a war with only two squadrons of fighters, it's these people.

12. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Chapter 9

Errant Venture

Forced restraint kept Jagged Fel from starting when a pair of hands came to rest on his shoulders. An unwilling smile tugged at the corners of his mouth, but he maintained a determinedly steady pace as he finished resorting and reanalyzing his pilots and their wing pairings before keying off his datapad and tucking it into the breast pocket of his flightsuit. ?Yes?? he finally asked mildly.

?Iella just got a message,? Jaina informed him as she came around and perched on the edge of the table where he sat working. ?Your parents and Navi have arrived safely on Bastion. We can contact them at Wyn?s place sometime tonight.?

The smile won, and Jag pushed his chair back slightly from the table so he could wrap his arms around his wife?s waist and pull her down into his lap. She rested her head against his shoulder contentedly, and he freed her long hair from the collar of her flightsuit, making her shiver as his hand ghosted across her neck. ?You feel better??

She shrugged. ?As good as I?ll ever feel about it, I guess. Actually,? she considered, ?I might feel a bit better.?

?Why?s that??

Twisting around, she met his eyes seriously. ?When we first talked about this, everything was very hypothetical, but now that it looks like we might actually see some action sooner rather than later? he should be insulated from that as much as possible.? She hesitated. ?He?s too? innocent, too pure for this nonsense.?

?The life of a Jedi isn?t exactly that of a pacifist,? Jag pointed out a bit warningly.

?Maybe he?ll decide he doesn?t want to be a Jedi.? Jaina shrugged and then dug an elbow gently into his stomach. ?Your dad seems to think he?ll mold Navi into a proper little Imperial while they?re out in the Remnant.?

Jag snorted. ?Imperials are not spoiled rotten, and that?s exactly what Navi- and Ashlin- will be after spending an extended period around their grandparents, as much as father tries to deny it.? She laughed softly. ?Can we talk business for a minute?? Pulling herself reluctantly from his arms, Jaina hoisted herself back up onto the table and rested her elbows on her thighs, leaning forward to watch him closely. ?You have bothans in your crew, don?t you??

She bit her lip and nodded. ?Two bothans and two falleen.?

?I have a bothan, a rodian, and two sullustans.? He gave a half-hearted shrug. ?They?ve all been vouched for by either Gennevi or Darklighter but I can?t help but think that this is unfair of us; who knows how any of them will feel when we tell them we?re facing potential skirmishes with their own people??

?First,? she cocked a brow, ?they?re here because they?ve chosen to serve the Galactic Alliance, even if their home systems have not. Secondly, I should think they?d be relieved to help prevent a war in which, by all rights, their peoples? confederation would be crushed.? Jaina half-turned, sensing two familiar presences approaching. ?Thirdly, the whole mission is still largely-?

?Meeting, conference room, now,? Wedge Antilles informed them from the doorway stiltedly. The couple exchanged a quick glance and then scrambled to their feet and followed Wedge and Corran back out into the corridor and down to the large room at the far end of the hallway where Kyp, Gennevi, Iella, and Mirax were already assembled.

Jaina carefully looked around the room, taking in expressions from mild confusion to grim determination. She turned back though when Wedge shut the door and addressed her individually. ?Jaina, your wild scheme of putting a stop to the potential conflict between the Bothan-led confederation and the Defense Force just got a lot more complicated- and a lot more real.? He nodded to Iella, who pressed a button on a holopad that was connected to a display in the center of the table. Graphics, charts, and data immediately began to appear.

Kyp glanced at Wedge. ?What?s this??

?This,? he informed them grimly, ?is the current and month-out projection deployment patterns for the confederation collective force.?

Gennevi?s brows shot towards her blonde ha

13. LoriLynn

Aug 13, 2011
    Lori, maybe Navi and Kaylin will run off and be non-Jedi together.
    Hahaha I was thinking the same thing! [face_idea] But I don't think Kyp would live through the shock of his daughter being involved with a 'good little imperial' ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing the two squadrons working together, if for no other reason than to see Jaina, Jag, Kyp, and Gennevi working together. That much stubborness in a single room, working toward a single goal...oye! It's gonna be like a powder keg.

Also, the Thrawn/Leyla weird ass relationship thing is starting to confuse me. In a good way. Leyla's POV: I don't trust you, I don't like you, but since so many others do, I'm willing to let that go. You know far too much about me for me to be comfortable. You're freaking me out." Thrawn's POV: "You are impressive, but there is still so much you don't know. You will be a great asset to whichever side wins this war."

There's your psychoanalysis, Freud. ;)

14. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Lori - Also, the Thrawn/Leyla weird ass relationship thing is starting to confuse me. In a good way. Leyla's POV: I don't trust you, I don't like you, but since so many others do, I'm willing to let that go. You know far too much about me for me to be comfortable. You're freaking me out." Thrawn's POV: "You are impressive, but there is still so much you don't know. You will be a great asset to whichever side wins this war."
    I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head, haha- which is good because it means I am not TOTALLY butchering the dynamic I'm going for, LOL.

Chapter 10

Errant Venture

?Red squadron, you may begin your run.?

Jaina checked her scopes and scanners, and toggled over to her squadron?s frequency. ?One, two, and three flights, arm ion pulse missiles, break by wing pairs- one flight, tag targets one and two; two flight, three and four; three flight, five and six.?

She received acknowledgements from two and three flights? leaders- Kyp and Octa Ramis- and then toggled again, this time over to the one flight frequency. ?Red Three, two target is yours. Let?s go.?

?Acknowledged, Lead,? Ben?s voice, slightly distorted by the comm waves, came back and the four Stealths of one flight peeled off towards the two largest vessels of the enemy force; behind them, two flight was veering towards their targets, and three flight followed suit close behind.

Taking a moment to double check her weapons armed, Jaina led Red Two- Thann Mithric- towards the Bothan assault cruiser that was indicated to be the flagship of the armada. ?Red Two, target the top midline, just below the bridge.?

He double clicked his understanding, and then Gennevi?s voice came over the general frequency. ?Turbolasers coming online now, Red squadron. Watch yourselves.?

?Acknowledged, Command.? Jaina gritted her teeth as they began weaving evasive patterns through the sudden barrage of fire from the cruiser. Bright green splashed across her viewport from passing beams that would vaporize her before she even knew what hit her, should she cross paths with one. Rising up over the bulk of the cruiser, checking to make sure that Thann was still tucked in safely behind her, she toggled back to her squadron frequency. ?Red squadron, acquire targets and fire at will; then come around and fly cover for your counterpart flights on Gold squadron.? She switched frequencies again. ?Red two, fire.?

Four missiles streaked out, two from each of their fighters, and struck precisely along the midline of the assault cruiser. For a moment, it was as though nothing happened; the impact of the missiles did not penetrate the shields, did not cause any damage to the cruiser itself.

Then the shield began to glow stronger, seemed to waver and ripple as the energy of the pulse missiles spread from the impact site? and then the faint blue aura began to break up, cracked and dissipated, and her sensors registered the effect. ?Shields down on the big cruiser,? Jaina informed both squadrons and Command, even as the other pilots began reporting similar successes.

?Gold squadron, begin your run.?

?Acknowledged,? Jag?s voice responded stiltedly to Gennevi.

?Red squadron, you have fighters tailing you out of the engagement zone.?

Jaina cursed under her breath. This was a new addition to the simulator run, which had focused primarily on the targeting and timing of the three runs against the capital ships of the confederation; now that they had that aspect of it down, it seemed that Wedge and Gennevi thought they were prepared to both accomplish their mission and deal with snubfighters.

?Red eleven is hit.? That was Seha Dorvald, the young redheaded Jedi who was only a few years older than Ben. ?Shields at fifty percent capacity, rudder is sluggish.?

Well, the shields weren?t all that strong on a StealthX to begin with. ?Twelve, escort eleven out of here- rendezvous with the shuttle on the far side of the moon.?

?Copy, Leader.?

As Seha and Yaqeel peeled away from the battle, the fighters of Gold squadro

15. LoriLynn

Aug 13, 2011
    Well now I'm torn, because obviously I think Leyla and Vulcor are meant to be together and have many many babies, but now I'm made at him. How dare he keep something like that from her? I mean jeez! You're not helping your case here, Vulcor.

I can't help but wonder if/when there will be issues in Command with Red and Gold squadrons. There's a whole lot of ego and stubbornness there, so I'm sure it's bound to boil over. Although I guess the actual length of the mission should be short enough that there won't be many (if any) confrontations. Still...it would be delicious.

Also, I sense a Leyla/Thrawn confrontation brewing. That will also be delicious.

[:D]

16. darth_treyvah

darth_treyvah Jedi Master star 3

Dec 26, 2005
    This is getting very intricate. I began to notice some similarities between Red Hand and some of the practices going on with the Empire of the Hand's Chiss adepts as well. While I understand why Leyla is upset right now -- being denied this information by Vulcor -- I can also see his perspective as well. Think about it: his whole young life he'd been raised and trained by Red Hand and Wrynn only to find out that it was part of a much greater plan by Thrawn, and to see those Chiss being trained in a similar way to the way he was must be bringing back some traumatic memories: things he thought he moved past when he joined the Jedi Order.

Leyla was kidnapped by them and held for only a little while, while Vulcor spent his whole developmental years with them. A part of him probably wanted to believe it wasn't them -- or related to them -- but when he was confronted with the truth he also knew about the other truth: about the threat they were being used to counter. What do you think would have happened if after Leyla signed on to help Thrawn and the Hand stop the Alpha Red terrorism if he revealed first the suspicion that they were related to the people who kidnapped her as a child, and then confirmed it? Chances are pretty good that Leyla would have said, "Kriff this," and left: leaving the galaxy in a very nasty place or worse: trying to act on her own and possibly endangering everything. For all Leyla is gifted, skilled and mature for her age, she does have a trigger finger and can, unfortunately, "act her age."

Thrawn has been manipulating everything from the beginning as well. I can see why Vulcor really wanted nothing to do with him after all of this, but his anger and past trauma has to also contend with his Jedi sensibility of serving the greater good and saving lives while at the same time knowing this could endanger anything he has or could have had with Leyla. This is not one-sided. Perhaps Vulcor should have said something, and Thrawn has been setting the pieces into place with still more information he hasn't revealed I'm sure but this really is a morally ambiguous situation all around.

I also wonder, on another matter, if the Ithorian Senator, is the sole architect of this plan or if he is acting in concert with others who would have something else to gain from the turmoil of the Alliance and the destruction of so many lives.

17. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    LoriLynn- Well now I'm torn, because obviously I think Leyla and Vulcor are meant to be together and have many many babies, but now I'm made at him. How dare he keep something like that from her?
    Basically- what darth_treyvah said. :p;)
    Also, I sense a Leyla/Thrawn confrontation brewing. That will also be delicious.
    This is what I like to call my delightfully awkward chapter. Though 'confrontation' might not quite be the word for it (Thrawn is such a cool-headed individual after all.. ha). But yeah- enjoy.

darth_treyvah - This is getting very intricate.
    Yeah, there's a reason that the working title of this fic was just 'Epic end-all fic' for MONTHS, haha. I wanted to end this AU with a bang. I figured what better bang than by challenging everything about Red Hand and Nabrin from the earlier stories, haha.
    I began to notice some similarities between Red Hand and some of the practices going on with the Empire of the Hand's Chiss adepts as well.
    Indeed; though the first hints of a connection between Thrawn and Red Hand are, in fact, in the part II prologue. Tiny details, but they're there.
    This is not one-sided. Perhaps Vulcor should have said something, and Thrawn has been setting the pieces into place with still more information he hasn't revealed I'm sure but this really is a morally ambiguous situation all around.
    You've pretty well hit it there. Because, despite everything... it doesn't matter. There was no connection between the Thrawn-clone and the revamped Red Hand that kidnapped Leyla. A bit more on this in this chapter and in chapter 12.
    As for moral ambiguity- that's, quite frankly, what makes Thrawn fascinating. I love Thrawn, I think he's a great character; but there are slight... inconsistencies in his character that arise every time Zahn writes something new to justify his actions. So Thrawn just wanted to prepare the galaxy for the Yuuzhan Vong invasion? Where does kidnapping infant children play into that (beyond just gaining C'baoth's help, of course)? I wanted to play with some of those inconsistencies a bit in this fic.
    Thanks for reading!

A/N: So this chapter contains some of the very first things I wrote for this story (edited and tweaked around, obviously). It's weird, but dear to my heart.

Chapter 11

She woke with a start and knew immediately that she was not alone, even before she had sought out the red eyes, glowing from across the room.

?Lights!? she snapped, and then blinked against the harsh glare. Thrawn seemed unaffected. ?What are you doing??

?Watching you sleep.? She blinked, not wholly sure if he was serious or in some way teasing her or mocking her. ?Is it true, that Jedi never dream??

Frowning heavily, she sat up slowly, running a hand through her long, disheveled hair. ?There are few absolutes in life, as I suspect you are aware.? She wasn?t entirely sure why she was answering the question, rather than demanding his immediate departure. ?But personally, I recall dreams very rarely.? He inclined his head in acknowledgement and her scowl deepened. ?You have a strange sense of spatial propriety, Crah- Thrawn.?

A slight twitch of his brows suggested he found some humor in her statement. ?My sense and appreciation of propriety are unaffected,? he assured her. ?I am simply choosing to ignore them for the time being. I?ve even brought a peace offering-,? he gestured to two mugs sitting on the desk beside him.

She stared. ?You entered my room uninvited and brought me caf to make up for it??

?No,? he returned slowly, ?I entered your room uninvited and brought you ch?hala tea to make up for it. The caf is mine.?

How in the name of? her eyes narrowed. ?You?ve also been going through my things.?

?Only to find your ch?hala tea.?

For a ridiculous moment, she considered asking him how he?d known that he would find it, but the word games were tiring her already, and she?d only just awoken. With a

18. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Chapter 12

Not having really considered the matter, Leyla assumed that their journey Core-ward would take place in the same interdictor cruiser which had apprehended her and Vulcor near Eriadu. Consequently, as the first of several shuttles rose off of the nameless jungle world- Thrawn?s Exile, as Cem once referred to it sardonically- she was surprised and momentarily taken aback by the sleek shape of a Chiss Star Destroyer. A kilometer long, gleaming and untouched by battle, it was a lethal-looking ship that bristled with deadly purpose.

?Now that,? Cem murmured by her side, ?is a flagship.?

Leyla glanced sidelong at him. ?Of what??

?Just because this war is largely being fought by stealth does not mean we are not prepared for the eventuality of battle.?

Their shuttle rose smoothly into the indicated hanger bay and set down. Leyla and Cem disembarked, followed by the two chiss Jedi who were to accompany Leyla to Coruscant, Fyaru and Taseek. Both were young, probably a few years younger than her twenty years, but they were quick thinkers and decisive actors. They also had friendly relations with the two female chiss already on Coruscant, and would help in tracking them down to enlist their assistance for surveillance and evacuation purposes.

When they reached the bridge, Thrawn and Nabrin were already present, and Leyla wondered if they hadn?t shuttled up very soon after her bizarre morning chat with the clone. Zekk was also there with Olyxes, and Leyla suspected that Malani or Tawina would come up in the last shuttle to take the toddler back down to the planet again. For now though, he stared around with wide eyes at everything, hovering by Zekk?s side as he gave instructions to Taseek, who nodded once and then turned and departed the bridge with Fyaru.

And on the far side of the bridge, at the comm station, Vulcor stood with the eickarie, Major Ra-ban, and Tahlia. Vulcor and Major Ra-ban would be staying behind as well, responsible for communications and coordination between Leyla?s team on Coruscant, the Star Destroyer and its dozen-Jedi complement, and the Jedi remaining on-planet, awaiting orders.

And so, she supposed, it was just down to her to make sure that all of these preparations didn?t go to waste.

?Leela??

She tried to suppress the silly grin as Olyxes tugged on her hand. Leela. Naviin had struggled to say her name for several years, and had finally just taken to calling her ?Leelee,? and the nickname had stuck for a long time, even after he was able to wrap his mouth around ?Leyla? a little better. ?Yes, Olly??

?Daddy says you?re leaving. Will it be dangerous??

His eyes were heartbreakingly earnest, but she forced a reassuring smile as she crouched down to his level. ?Of course not. I?m just going back to the place where I grew up.?

?Cor-sant??

?Yeah,? she grinned again. ?But I?ll be back, okay??

His tone was reluctant, and Leyla thought about all the times Zekk and Tahlia must have been forced to leave him behind while they went investigating somewhere; hopefully, this would be the last of those times. ?Okay.? He leaned forward and wrapped his arms around her. ?Be careful.?

?I will,? she promised solemnly, hugging him back until he pulled away and retreated back to his father?s side. It occurred to her though, as she watched the two-year-old, just how desperately she missed her little brother- and the guilt of dropping off the charts with no explanation hit her like stun baton to the head.

Right on cue, as though to remind her of his warning about how her disappearance would hurt her family, Vulcor?s quiet voice brought her out of her momentary reverie. ?I guess this is it.?

She blinked up at him, trying to force her face into impassivity, chagrined that he was accomplishing it with much greater success. ?I guess so- for now.?

?Take care of yourself, alright? It?s a? heavy burden you?ve taken on here.?

Attempting a rueful grin, she shook her head. ?You?re the one tasked with coordinating galactic salvation, if I?m

19. LoriLynn

Aug 13, 2011
    Oh Leyla, you stupid stupid girl. Clearly Vulcor is trying to send you some sort of signals and you are too focused on the mission to see them. Or perhaps you do see them and are merely trying to stay focused on the task at hand so you won't get killed. If that's the case, then I applaud your control and sense of self preservation. But promise me that when you live through this mission and all the craziness is over you will sit that man down and talk about this crazy non-relationship you guys have going.

And while we're discussing Leyla, I have a feeling that this mission isn't going to go as smoothly as everyone hopes. In essence, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

[:D]

20. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    *lurks*

I have to fully admit (shame on me), that I'm reading this story for the Thrawn scenes. [face_blush] They are excellent! I love the way you've written him. Your writing style in general is wonderful and a treat to read. =D=
    Intriguing story so far. Quite a difficult path to walk for our characters. Will be interesting to see how this will develop. Can you PM me when you update, please? (Otherwise I'll just check every once in a while.)

....Guess I'm the only one here who likes the idea of Leyla/Thrawn as a couple? *ducks and disappears into hiding again*

21. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Chilla- I have to fully admit (shame on me), that I'm reading this story for the Thrawn scenes.
    LOL, certainly not a problem. :p I sort of wondered whether I'd pick up a couple of morbidly curious readers after 'Thrawn-clone' made it into the heading. [face_laugh] Unfortunately, it would have spoiled the Part I surprise to throw it in there from the beginning, but so it goes.
    And glad you're enjoying Thrawn so much! [:D] I was VERY nervous to try something with Thrawn (or 'Thrawn-clone') that was more than just a little one-shot. Fair warning that his face-time will get a little more sporadic over the next handful of chapters, as Leyla goes her separate way, but he's certainly still got plenty of conniving to do! [face_devil]

Can you PM me when you update, please?
    I will indeed; just so you know what to expect though, I actually update every other day- no particular time, but every two days.

Guess I'm the only one here who likes the idea of Leyla/Thrawn as a couple? *ducks and disappears into hiding again*
    [face_laugh] Well, you'd be majorly underestimating the twisted minds of Lori and myself if you think we haven't at least joked about it (Lori wants to know what human/chiss babies would look like). [face_laugh] I once tried to do the math on their ages... she's born in 27 ABY, his clone didn't... uh... mature?... until 29 ABY, so is she older or younger than him? :confused: And just how old IS a matured chiss-clone grown for 10 years?
    Anyway, needless to say, it just wouldn't work. :p She doesn't trust him (at this point in the story, anyway- maybe that'll change?!? Let's find out!) and he's... Thrawn. I once tried my hand at Thrawn "romance"... *digs up old fic* And this is how I like to think it would have happened. :D

LoriLynn - But promise me that when you live through this mission and all the craziness is over you will sit that man down and talk about this crazy non-relationship you guys have going.
    Are you really THAT positive that I won't kill off Leyla? [face_devil] Or Vulcor, for that matter? :p
    But I have to ask- which is more infuriating for you: the Leyla/Vulcor non-relationship, or the Reciprocity Kyp/Gennevi non-relationship? I like to think they're both delightfully infuriating, in their own unique ways. :D

And while we're discussing Leyla, I have a feeling that this mission isn't going to go as smoothly as everyone hopes. In essence, "I've got a bad feeling about this."
    Hey... it's me!
    :pGuess you'll have to find out on Saturday!

22. LoriLynn

Aug 13, 2011
    Well, you'd be majorly underestimating the twisted minds of Lori and myself if you think we haven't at least joked about it (Lori wants to know what human/chiss babies would look like). [face_laugh]
    Seriously though...what would they look like? Light blue skin and normal eyes? Or would the eyes be pink? So many questions...:confused:

Are you really THAT positive that I won't kill off Leyla? [face_devil] Or Vulcor, for that matter? :p
    And again we're back to that mean streak. You can't kill either of them since in my AU of your AU they get married and have babies....or do they? [face_laugh]

But I have to ask- which is more infuriating for you: the Leyla/Vulcor non-relationship, or the Reciprocity Kyp/Gennevi non-relationship? I like to think they're both delightfully infuriating, in their own unique ways. :D
    Touche. Both were delightfully frustrating...in a good way. It just makes it that much sweeter when they do get together.

23. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Chapter 13

Jedi Temple ? Coruscant

Jedi Master Luke Skywalker hurriedly entered the chamber which traditionally held the Masters? Council and took his seat in the circle. Taking a moment to note the usual faces, those who were absent stuck out a good bit more than those present- Kyp, Corran, and Octa; and Jaina had left before accepting her elevation of rank, but would have been welcome in attendance as well. Four missing Masters, all four of whom were with Booster Terrik aboard the Errant Venture. Perhaps the ship was in hyperspace and Jacen?s message hadn?t gotten through.

A fifth Master wasn?t present, and that was Kenth Hamner. For understandable reasons, however, Master Hamner was currently meeting- arguing, more likely- with the military advisory council on which he served as Jedi liaison. Otherwise, the attendance was fairly standard- Jacen and Mara, Kyle Katarn, Saba Sebatyne, Tresina Lobi, Cilghal, and the latest addition to the council, the yuzzem Barratk?l? and Kam and Tionne Solusar were present via hologram from Ossus.

?Jacen,? Luke looked to his nephew, ?did you get any response from Jaina or the others??

?No, Master,? Jacen shook his head.

He sighed. ?I really want their input for this. I guess it will have to wait.? He paused and looked around; every eye was on him, alert to his solemn seriousness. ?I?ve just received a message from Kenth. He was just given notice that the Defense Fleet is poised to initiate hostilities against a fleet comprised of seceded Bothan, Falleen, and Rodian forces- a fleet apparently commanded by Admiral Bwua?tu.?

The absurdity of such a statement took a moment to sink in, before Mara managed to gasp, ?Why? When? I thought they were still in talks with the Bothan Council about that!?

Pursing his lips, he responded succinctly, ?To ?make a point.? And, according to Heol Girdun- any minute.?

?The Galactic Alliance doesn?t use firepower to ?make a point?,? Tresina frowned deeply. ?And it seems to me that the Jedi have been quite purposefully left out of the loop on the matter.?

?This one agreez,? Saba?s tongue flickered out over her pebbly licks, the tip of her tail swooshing back and forth in annoyance. ?Perhapz Chief Eszada doez not value these onez? input as Chief Belotab did.?

Luke shook his head slowly. ?It isn?t that, Saba. Or if it is, it?s at least more than that too. This plan was apparently known to only a small few, and most of them military. Kenth indicated that there was some connection to an increasing mobilization of a Sorosuub fleet out of Sullust, but Girdun wouldn?t give him much more than that. Whatever is going on, Girdun, Admiral Niathal, and Chief Essada have been playing it very close- but Chief Essada has scheduled a special session of the Senate in a half-hour to coincide with the strike.?

Expression dubious, Jacen leaned forward and frowned thoughtfully. ?I hope she has something really good to say. This move- especially without prior knowledge, let alone consent of the Senate- will not endear too many people to her. I?m going.?

Luke nodded. ?I was going to suggest someone should. Liaise with Kenth while you?re there and see if he hasn?t learned anything useful since he and I last spoke.? Jacen nodded and stood, sweeping quickly out of the Council chambers. ?In the meantime,? he grimaced, ?I?m going to contact Booster Terrik and find out what?s going on with the others.?

X---X---X---X

Senate Office Building

Maintenance and service entrances tended to be among the worst guarded, regardless what building one was trying to enter discreetly. The government buildings of Coruscant tended to be no exception to the rule, and the lax security was only weakened by the sheer traffic going in and out of the building at a time like this, when hundreds of beings were crossing the plaza to enter the Senate chamber. Consequently, it was only too easy to pass quickly by the usual guards- Leyla and Ghent flashed their impressively forged identicards; Fyaru and Taseek, cloaked and hooded, slipped behind them and simply

24. LoriLynn

Aug 13, 2011
    Lori- DUN DUN DUN! :p
    Hey no fair! You stole my line!!

I feel like we've been climbing a hill with all of this planning and now we're getting to the top. And the top just happens to be filled with assassination attempts and horribly unbalanced space battles. [face_laugh] And I daresay that Gennevi and Jaina may be having a little talk if/when she gets back to the EV.

Oh and also--and I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it took me this long to pick up on it--I love that you chose Red and Gold Squadrons for this merry band of do-gooders. It's a nice throw back. I remember thinking when I first read the designations 'That sounds really familliar.' Well duh!! Sometimes I amaze even myself. :D

So...how many more chapters are there to this story? Like...27 more or something like that? Am I in the ballpark? [face_thinking]

25. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Ahh, the suspense.....
    An assassination attempt and the Jedi just screwed their mission up? Oh, the Bothans will be even more pissed at the Jedi than they usually are.

Jacen will hopefully stop the assassination attempt....I hope. Unless somebody forces him into doing it. *mind goes crazy with possibilities* That would make the whole situation even worse.

I did notice the possibility for Thrawn/Leyla here. Too bad it's not going to happen. And your minds are no more twisted than mine. [face_blush]
    Did you read the Thrawn/Viqi crackship vignette that's here somewhere at the boards? That was good and actually worked out.

=D= Nice update!