The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by RX_Sith, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Not if you were rooting for Sweden. :_|
  2. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Oh hush, you crybaby, you've already got the Olympic gold from Torino... :p Whereas we never got further than quarterfinals at the Olympics - give us a chance to win a medal, too! ;)
  3. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Since I've never been afraid of dating myself before, thought I would mention that I saw the father of Zach Parise, who scored both goals for the US last night, play in the NHL (NY Islanders), live and in person no less.

Yes, I am old.
  4. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    So what are the match-ups now?
  5. Darth_Duck Force Ghost

star 4
    THere was a rousing rendition of "O Canada" in the bar after that game.

Bring on Slovakia.
  6. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    The Russians surprised me; they weren't too good. I suspect the Slovakians (who beat them) will be better.
  7. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Canada wins the women's hockey gold. US holds on to the overall medal lead, though, now with 31 to Germany's 26.
  8. LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Too bad the US women's hockey team didn't do better, hopefully the men will get the gold. And if the US gets just 4 more medals we will have broken our record for medals won at any winter olympics. :D
  9. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Wow, that was a great game.
  10. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    Nordic combined for USA anyone?
  11. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    That should help the sport's popularity in N. A.

Of course, it could be because the Russians are supposedly no longer doping.
  12. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh, the Russians are still doping (and so is everyone else). It's just that the Russians are getting caught. That's biathalon and X-C though, they aren't very good at combined. Felt a bit bad for Spillane, though, might have had a chance if he hadn't slipped on the turn towards the end, allowing the Austrian to get past, so that he was in a bad position when Demong attacked.

Good showing by Mancuso in the second run of the GS yesterday, moved all the way up to 8th with a great run. Really would have had a shot at gold if she hadn't gotten screwed over in the first run.
  13. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    It really was a tough break for Mancuso... hate to see any athlete have things taken out of their control like that. Same goes for the Dutch speedskater whose coach sent him into the wrong lane and got him DQed.
  14. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Since the S. Koreans will cheat at the drop of a hat (see boxing in the Summer Games), does anyone else have uneasy feelings about their speed skaters?
  15. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yep, I feel bad for Sven (the Dutchman) and Mancuso. Cris Collinsworth actually had a half-decent feature about this a couple days ago. I guess in the 1972 Munich Games, an American track coach gave the wrong preliminary race times to two sprinters who probably would have made the finals. :oops:
  16. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    It's a crap-shoot. I wouldn't want to depend on skating rules in the speed skating...
  17. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    US hockey team obliterating Finland in the semifinal, 6-0 after the first period.
  18. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    What's even more amazing is that those 6 goals came in a span of 6:24. [face_flag]
  19. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    That is pretty amazing. 6-1, final [face_flag]
  20. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Fixed. :-B
  21. MasterMonkey13 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I am totally looking forward to the men's hockey finals!!
  22. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I just this...silver medal for the US women in hockey is definitley something they should be proud off. Sure, it would have been nice to get the gold, but the US improved on their bronze medal in Turin (I refuse to call it Turino...we don't say München, Germany. Just because it sounds better doesn't make it right :mad: [/rant]) and lost to the three time defending champion. A good showing by any definition, I'd say.

Anyways, I'm really excited for Canada-Slovakia tonight. I caught the tail end of USA-Finland, and that was fun. Too bad Tim Thomas didn't keep the shutout, but still a great showing for Team USA.
  23. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Ohno practically had to hurdle two other skaters in the quarterfinal :p

EDIT: but later gets disqualified in the final :(
  24. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    OHNO! You know they will call that, dumb to put his hand on the Trembley's hip like that.
  25. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Yeah, I was expecting them to call the DQ on it even before the announcers said anything. It didn't look like he actually pushed, but the hand just being there was enough.

EDIT: huh, they just showed a replay of it and given what Ohno was DQed for, they could have easily DQed the Canadian who won gold as well. o_O
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.