main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by RX_Sith, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Less than a year, now.

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The final contains 39 participants from 13 countries, but still the IOC claims that there are too few women doing it.

Not to mention that the head of the IOC thinks women might hurt their uteruses when landing.

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I'm guessing that's the real issue, though they won't say so.

4. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    VANOC adds top creative talent to team orchestrating the magic of the Opening, Closing and nightly Victory Ceremonies of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games; volunteer performers still needed.

Apr 7, 2009

Vancouver, BC ? As recruitment of volunteer performers continues, the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) is ramping up the creative team behind the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games Opening, Closing and nightly Victory Ceremonies by adding superlative Canadian and international stars to the mix. The team includes the Canadian brothers behind Dsquared2 who have created lavish, over-the-top costumes for Madonna and Britney Spears, a composer fit for the Queen and the sound designer who has mixed for both The King of Rock `n? Roll and The Boss.

They are just a few of the standouts among the 17 members ? the majority of whom are Canadian ? announced today by VANOC. A list, including short biographies, follows.

Under the direction of executive producer and co-artistic director David Atkins and Ignatius Jones, director, ceremonies strategy and co-artistic director, the creative team will deliver on the creative vision for the ceremonies, create mass choreography for the 4,500 volunteer performers, design lighting and audio systems, select composers and musical arrangements, design sets, costumes and props, and identify headline talent. The team will also be responsible for the nightly Victory Ceremonies happening at BC Place, where top Canadian musical acts will rev up athletes and spectators. Their work will build on the planning started in 2007 by the initial creative team.

?The expectations for David Atkins and the ceremonies? creative team are monumental. They are tasked with creating life long memories ? from the iconic Opening and Closing Ceremonies to those golden moments that celebrate the athletes? achievements,? said John Furlong, VANOC Chief Executive Officer. ?Their work will be watched live by thousands at BC Place and billions worldwide on television ? and this team has both the talent and experience to meet that challenge. They will embrace our country?s rich culture and innovative spirit, while revealing our incredible wealth of Canadian talent to the world.?

?For the last 12 months, our creative process for the ceremonies has been underway but as we move from the concept stage to the hands-on work, we?ve sought out exceptionally talented people who know how to take big ideas and breathe life into them,? added David Guscott, executive vice president, ceremonies and celebrations. ?As we get closer to the Games, the team will be expanded even further.?

David Atkins acknowledged the calibre of the creative team, saying, ?This world-class team is filled with artists who know how to wow audiences at international events and are leaders in their fields, from creating magical scores to designing opulent costumes and intricate footwork. Ceremonies volunteers are going to be working with the best; this is a true opportunity of a lifetime.?

Atkins pointed out that volunteer ceremonies applications are still being sought and he encouraged enthusiastic potential performers to apply online at www.vancouver2010.com/ceremonies. Previous experience is not a requirement for the performers, dancers and athletes of all types and skills needed to stage the productions. Volunteer performers must be 17 or older to apply; there is no upper age limit. Auditions start May 1.

?I?m proud that the Government of Canada is supporting the Opening Ceremony of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games,? said the Honourable Gary Lunn, Minister of State (Sport). ?The Opening Ceremony offers a unique opportunity to showcase Canadian excellence and innovation to the world, while celebrating our culture and traditions.?

The ceremonies? creative team members announced today are:

Choreography Director: Jean Grand-Maître

Quebec-born Jean Grand-Maître has been artistic director of Alberta Ballet since 2002. He has collaborated with dance companies around the world, as well as acrobats and ci

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The involvement of the Government of Canada practically guarantees that it will be half-assed. And why won't they use Cirque du Soleil?

6. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Agent: NHL won?t pay players hurt in Olympic camps.

The NHL has sent the following memo to its' players concerning their participation in the upcoming Winter Olympics:

"As follow up, found out NHL teams directed to suspend and not pay any player injured in Summer Olympic Orientation camp ..."

"Team Canada exhibition game...what happens to seriously injured player? NHL benefits w/ Olympic participation and players bear all risk!"

So, in summary: The NHLPA doesn't want its players skating in the camps because there isn't adequate insurance coverage for their elephantine contracts.

The NHL pretty much says that the insurance coverage better be epic, because it's not honoring the contracts of players injured in orientation camps, which Walsh said the League believes aren't meant to be covered by the CBA.

The players have, however, been vocal about participating in all facets of orientation camp. Eric Staal(notes) of the Carolina Hurricanes said recently, "I haven't lived my life or played hockey thinking I'm going to get hurt or seriously injured." To that end, USA Hockey told us last month that it's planning an "on-ice component" to its orientation camp in Illinois.

I agree with Staal here. If an injury does occur though, then the player will be left out in the cold (pun intended).

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Either the NHL wants the Olympics to promote hockey, or it doesn't.

8. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Torch Relay Interactive Map.

Well, the torch relay is on its 8th day as of today. Getting closer and closer to the start of the Winter Olympics. Just 98 days to go!

9. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Nice. I'm looking forward to these Winter Olympics more than the 2008 Summer Games. Probably has something to do with ice hockey and being actually being able to watch the Olympics daily, and not just when I have the day off. :p

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Just about everything is ready.

11. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Just 52 more days until the Winter Olympics begin.

You can track the Olympic Torch Relay here:

12. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Getting close!

Also, if there are any particular icons you'd like for the Winter Olympics, let me (or NYCitygurl) know - we've already been discussing that. :)

13. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Post the mascot icons if that is possible.

Also, is anyone going to any part of the games live or just watching them on TV? I'll be watching on TV.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Are we gonna have some first medal, most medals, most golds, and single-pick games?

15. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Sure, why not. Probably in a different thread though.

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I'm in. :)

17. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    The Russian Hockey team's squad has been named:

Russia's Team

Forwards
    Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin (Capitals), Evgeni Malkin (Penguins), Pavel Datsyuk (Red Wings), Ilya Kovalchuk and Maxim Afinogenov (Thrashers), Alexei Morozov and Danis Zaripov (Ak Bars Kazan), Sergei Zinovyev, Viktor Kozlov and Alexander Radulov (Salavat Yulayev Ufa), Sergei Fedorov (Metallurg Magnitogorsk)

Defensemen
    Andrei Markov (Canadians), Anton Volchenkov (Senators), Sergei Gonchar (Penguins), Denis Grebeshkov (Oilers), Fedor Tyutin (Blue Jackets), Dmitry Kalinin (Salavat Yulayev Ufa), Konstantin Korneyev (CSKA Moscow), Ilya Nikulin (Ak Bars Kazan)

Goaltenders
    Evgeni Nabokov (Sharks), Ilya Bryzgalov (Coyotes), Semyon Varlamov (Capitals)

Should be pretty impressive.

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I really don't get why Fedorov is in but Kovalev isn't.

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm sort of surprised that Varlamov is in. I haven't been following the Caps that closely, but I wasn't impressed by in last year's playoffs enough to put him on the Olympic squad. He must be doing a lot better this year.

Also, when the Russian GM (whose name escapes me)comes to scout, the Russian players do really well. He was a the Pens-Sens game last Wednesday, and Malkin had himself a hat trick. The commentators noted that other players had been doing well in their in-person auditions.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The Swedish and American teams will also be strong.

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    He played well in the playoffs for someone who had only previously played 6 regular season games and he's been pretty damn good so far this year (12-1-2, .924, 2.21, 2 SO). Besides, he's in as the third goalie and probably won't even play a game.

The Russian GM is Hall of Fame goalie Vladislav Tretiak.

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Team Sweden:

Goalkeepers:
    Jonas Gustavsson (Toronto Maple Leafs/NHL), Stefan Liv (HV 71), Henrik Lundqvist (New York Rangers/NHL)

Defenders:
    Tobias Enstrom (Atlanta Thrashers/NHL), Magnus Johansson (Linkopings HC), Niklas Kronwall (Detroit Red Wings/NHL), Nicklas Lidstrom (Detroit Red Wings/NHL), Douglas Murray (San Jose Sharks/NHL), Johnny Oduya (New Jersey Devils/NHL), Henrik Tallinder (Buffalo Sabres/NHL), Mattias Ohlund (Tampa Bay Lightning/NHL)

Forwards:
    Daniel Alfredsson (Ottawa Senators/NHL), Nicklas Backstrom (Washington Capitals/NHL), Loui Eriksson (Dallas Stars/NHL), Peter Forsberg (MODO Hockey), Tomas Holmstrom (Detroit Red Wings/NHL), Patric Hornqvist (Nashville Predators/NHL), Fredrik Modin (Columbus Blue Jackets/NHL), Samuel Paahlsson (Columbus Blue Jackets/NHL), Daniel Sedin (Vancouver Canucks/NHL), Henrik Sedin (Vancouver Canucks/NHL), Mattias Weinhandl (Dynamo Moscow/RUS), Henrik Zetterberg (Detroit Red Wings/NHL)

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Thanks for Varlamov's stats. I knew the Caps were doing well, but I didn't realize that he had that good of a GAA and save percentage.

Tretiak, yes, that's his name. Thanks for that, as well.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Douglas Murray doesn't sound like a Swedish name to me...

25. LadyChaos78

LadyChaos78 Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2009
    At least someone else will get the big O, in MOntreal we just finished paying ours off. I have to say, I think I'm a bit anti Olympics. It has nothing to do with the fact that Potheads in BC managed to design an Olympic torch shaped like a Camberwell Carrot, or the fact that the Post Office is assaulting me with cartoon Yetis when I walk in to send a package. My issue is that to finish everything the Tories in their infinite wisdom have merged the Sports subsidies (going to the Olympics) with the Arts and Culture subsidies (screwing over the Canadian film and television industry.) Of course much like legislation and things going on here in Quebec it is of course being suppressed. Thanks Tory Scum for forcing thousands of Hard Working Canadians in the arts onto welfare.) It's not just that. Those subsidies insured that American studios came to Canada to get a deal and cut their costs a bit. Without that, because we're basically living at par right now. Those same studios are opting to go to cheaper filming locations like China, Czech Republic, and South Africa. This is putting mainly carpenters, seamstresses, technicians etc out of work. People who might I add, are not millionaires and in fact make regular middle class salaries. Surely, that can't be a good thing for the long term Canadian economy in these difficult times?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.