main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by RX_Sith, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    And I'm pretty disappointed that the Swedish women didn't do well in the biathlon. Since the sprint is the basis for the pursuit they aren't totally lost though, with world cup leader Helena Jonsson going out 46 seconds after the winner. The Swedish women made quite a good team effort though, which is good for the relay, they just missed the top.

And I feel a bit bad for Janne Ahonen, he's made a comeback this year so that he can finally win an indivisual medal, and he starts with a 4th place.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Got to watch a bit tonight... speed skating, some skiing, and a bit of the luge. :)

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Watching the luge is very difficult...one of the sledders had a problem and immediately everyone panicked.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    And oh, yeah, the riot was fun, too.

5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I sort of feel bad for the two Korean men that wiped out right before the finish line of the 1500 meter speed skating race yesterday. Korea could have had a sweep, but one of them looked like he got greedy, and as a result cost his country two medals.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, what do you think their coaches are saying about that :p

It feels awkward that that collision was how Ohno got his 6th medal...

7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Sorry, but please don't call that short track idiocy "speed skating", that's an insult to athletes like Sven Kramer. I can't watch the short track, they might as well make roller derby an event.

Quite a bit of discussion about luge on German TV. On the one hand, the track was designed by a German company, they were pretty desperate to deflect blame, as were everyone else involved in running the event. On the other hand, moving the start is a boost to the Germans, who are better starters and benefit fro the flatter start. Loch is leading at the half way point.

And Annie, I watched some of the biathlon yesterday, happy to see Neuner get silver, seemed like a bit of an odd race, though, an underdog won, and that russian who was leading by a huge margin after the standing shooting faded completely at the end.

8. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Short Track is the best thing about the Winter Olympics. Are you saying they aren't athletes? I can't imagine the skill it requires to race at high speeds like that while maneuvering around competitors.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Woohoo! 18-0 over Slovakia! 8-}

10. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    yankee, Neuner was expected, but another intersting thing was that behind her the rest of the Germans were far beyond, doesn't look promising for the relay.

So tonight (for me) it's the men's biathlon sprint and Nordic combined. I also like that the figure skating is starting up, but I'm not interested enough in the pairs to stay up late for the short program.

11. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    So do you Canadian's get to see everything live in Canada? Or do you see some events live and then on "tape delay".

12. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Now it is an outdoor sport, but I think it's sad when the conditions are so unfair as it was during the biathlon sprint. The top 5 all started among the 10 first. It was really one race for the first 15, another race for the following, and now the weather is nice again for the people starting late in the race (they are usually not good enough to be part of the top though).

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Nordic combined is pretty interesting. Likewise the biathlon - I've gotten to see a fair amount of those today :)

14. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    7 Wisconsin badgers on team USA womens Hockey
    3 on Canada.

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I have an acquaintance who played women's ice hockey at Wisconsin...wonder if she's friend with any of the Olympians.

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    We've got three channels covering the games so I'm pretty sure most if not all are aired live. If not then some would be streamed online I assume.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Canada just took their first gold :)

Exciting finish in the mens' mogul freestyle.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    If anybody is interested in picking some Olympic events for the Arena Colors game, the selections have just been posted in that thread for the upcoming week.

2008-2009 L.A. Lakers: World Champions!:cool:

19. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Not saying that, it certainly requires quite a bit of skill and athleticism. I just find the randomness of it, giving all the crashing, to be rather off-putting.

More than anything, though, I hate all the coverage it gets in the US because of Ohno. It's a marginal sport with almost no following outside a handful of countries, yet NBC treats it as if it were one of the centerpieces of the Winter games.

Question about the Georgian luger who died: anyone know if he was a regular on the world cup circuit?

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    He had been to around half the events this winter, he usually placed around 40-50.

Tonight's the cross country premiere, it would feel so good if Sweden could get a medal. I would gladly exchange all medals (if we get any) for a medal for Patrik Järbyn in the downhill. He's a veteran, the oldest on the world cup circuit, and he's been down so many times. He has two medals from world championships and was very close in Nagano. He's well worth a medal, but his chances are slim.

21. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Looking good for Sweden's Charlotte Kalla, eventhough we don't get to see her, thankfully the commentators get enough time checkpoints so that they can give you the results. It feels more like radio than TV.

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    GOLD!!!!!!

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    FanHouse's Kevin Blackistone just published an article entitled "Winter Olympics or Winter Idiocy." This is one of the things that he says.

:rolleyes: Clearly the athletes know the risks that are involved in sporting events. I'm surprised that a fairly mainstream journalist would come out so anti-Winter Olympics.

Edit: spelling

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Blackistone, I'm disappointed in you. [face_plain]

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    He'd been in it the last 2 years, though given his low standings I dunno if he went in every event or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.