main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by RX_Sith, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    The USA vs. Canada hockey game is being broadcast on MSNBC from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. tomorrow 2/21.

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    That's good to hear.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Watched a bit of curling last night, though the friends I was with were... well, confused would be an understatement :p

4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, my stepdad and I decided that we'd rather watch curling, in which we don't understand the scoring, than ice dancing. I'm glad that my mom was in the minority. :p

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Heck, I still don't understand the rules of curling practically at all. I kinda understand what they do, but not why or much of the rules. But it was still more interesting that figure skating, I agree :p

6. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I get the basic strategy for curling. There's some sort of invisible grid over the circles, and the skips try to place the rocks in certain coordinates. I just don't know how the grid relates to the circle. I keep wanting NBC to superimpose it, but they never do.

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The basics of curling is very simple, the team with the stone closest to the centre wins. One stone gives you one point, if a team manage to get two stones closer to the circle compared to the other team they get two points and so on. The team that wins the round, or end, starts the next one. A lot of what you see is tactics and strategy, you want to be the team that doesn't start the last round for example.

I really like watching curling, it's really like chess when the teams try to outwit each other.

8. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Do you know how many points you could hypothetically score in a frame? I remember them talking about one team having a chance to score three points. Is it just as many as you can, or is there a set limit?

9. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Perfect would of course be 10, one for each stone. You rarely get very many points in each end though, three is feasible but most ends you only get one point.

10. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I believe Canada has scored 5 in an end during these games.

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    That's really impressive on their part.

I'm still exhausted after the men's 30 k cross country, and I didn't even race. ;)

I must say that all the cross country races so far have been exciting, it's never been clear several kilometers before the finish, as sometimes happens.

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Nice run for Vonn there, but not enough. :(

EDIT: to clarify, not enough for gold. She still got bronze :)

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    So curling is scored like lawn bowls then?

I thought there were only 8 stones (2 per team member.)

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Dang, the Koreans look good in the short track speedskating.

15. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    There's 10 rocks for each team in an end in curling.

16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    How many does the vice-skip release? Is it 4?

I managed to see some short track after work last night...it's just so chaotic and nervewracking to watch. Really fun, too.

I was watching the ski jumping earlier yesterday, and I've decided that I'd never do that. I'd probably seriously injure myself on the first attempt. :p It looks really awesome, though.

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    No, I must be wrong, every team member releases 2 stones, so it must mean that the max is 8. Sorry for that.

And you don't start ski jumping in a big hill like that, usually you start in a hill where you can just jump maybe 5 meters or so.

(sneaks in the fact that she actually has a bronze from the Swedish national youth championships in ski jumping)

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Pretty nice :)

Watching a bit of cross country right now... lots of people all close together, unlike the earlier times I was watching.

19. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Yeah, I was wrong. It's 8 rocks per team per end.

I find it hilarious people are complaining about the crowds that are coming to see curling.

20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Congrats, that's pretty cool!

Yeah, I'd probably still seriously injure myself. :p Then again, I've never been skiing.

21. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    And I won my first slalom competition before I had turned three. It's been a long time, 15 years, since I competed in any kind of skiing though. Still do it for fun when I can though.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I'm originally from Northern Ontario, where curling is a big thing. Generally, even small towns have a curling rink. You don't have to be good to enjoy or play it; men, women and kids all play; you can play as a senior; and you can pop some beer after the game. What's not to love? Plus brains do help, unlike a lot of sports.

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Yeah, sounds exactly like lawn bowls here. :p (Though bowls is played mainly by seniors, it's making inroads amongst younger people.)

Ski jumping (along with alpine skiing) is my favourite sport at the Winter Olympics. I still remember the Japanese guy dominating the Nagano Olympics back in 98.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Lawn bowling is fairly popular in B. C., too.

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Well, the first period of the USA-Canada hockey game is in the books. Miller has looked pretty good, only gave up one goal on way too many chances to Team Canada. Hopefully he continues to play well the rest of the night. I'm glad that Team USA got off to a quick start, and quickly bounced back after Canada tied it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.