Vancouver The Vancouver Canucks Thread

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Admiral_Thrawn60, Dec 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lks_Ian Jedi Knight

star 1
    These last few months are going to be especially hectic for the 5th+ teams in the standings. Mostly in the western conference. I mean look at the points. 6th-9th place all have 60 points with dallas slightly ahead in 5th with 63 points. A few lost games in a row for either of those teams and they'll be bumped out of a a playoff spot.

And how about Todd Bertuzi. Everyone is always talking about how he's so good but i can't honestly see why. Sure he's big and every once in a while his size can be a factor in a goal scored but these days that rarely happens. And if you watch his games he's making a lot more turnovers then he is decent passes. The announcers will be talking about how he is constantly making turnovers and then they'll go on to say that he's one of the best players in the NHL. I can only remember 1 good goal Bertuzi has scored this season. I forget which team it was against but it was on the powerplay and he just slapped the puck top corner not giving the goalie a chance to stop it, but besides that he just seems to shoot the puck at the net with no clear pourpose. I don't understand what it is that makes him one of the best players in the NHL. I definetely don't think he belongs in the all star game.

/end bertuzi rant :)
  2. Lks_Ian Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well the All Star games over. The East won 6-2 which is strange considering the west has an edge over the East in the overall standings. I think it really hurt the western team that Colorado was hoging so much talent. Many of the players in Colorado like Paul Kariya probably deserved to be in the all star game but they weren't because they were overshadowed by all the other super stars on colorado. And also i don't think it would be much appreciated if half the western all star team was made up of colorado players :)
  3. lord-darkhelmet Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hi Ian,

I gotta disagree with you on Bertuzzi. You're right, his offensive numbers aren't as good as they were last year, but they're still pretty good (17th overall in scoring, T-7th overall in assists). The thing is, guys with his skill at his size are so rare in hockey that makes him a very special player, one that every team in the league would want. Ya, he does make some sloppy plays, but he can change the game on his own if he has a mind to. Naslund's a great sniper, but he wouldn't get the room without Bertuzzi by his side. And he will be on Team Canada in the next World Cup of hockey without question.

I do agree with you regarding the all-star game though. I didn't watch it and haven't for years because it's not very interesting, but can you believe that Forsberg wasn't playing? Sure, he has been injured off and on during the year but he's healthy now and is acknowledged as the best player in the game today, but isn't in the all-star game. :confused:
  4. lord-darkhelmet Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok, the Canuckle-heads are officially starting to suck.

In the six games since the all-star break the have one win (1-0 vs Colorado). Of the five loses (including tonight's OTL) only one was against a team which is in a playoff position right now (Calgary). Yes, they're missing some key players with Jovanovski and Naslund out, but they still should be able to beat some of these teams. Now they're not in danger of missing the playoffs or anything, but there's 20 games left they could potentially fall in the standings and stumble into the playoffs. Of course now that I've gotten this off my chest they're probably gonna go on a huge unbeaten streak and make me look foolish (won't be the first time). But at least I feel better now, I can sleep a little easier.
  5. Lks_Ian Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yah vancouver has looked pritty pathetic their last few games. They don't seem to be trying to get to pucks. the game against edmonton probably should have been another 6-2 upset if it were not for cloutier(sp?)

They really have to trade for someone decent. Most likely a good defenseman. Brian Burk has said that he has been given permission to upgrade the team and right now i think vancouver is in need of upgrading.
  6. cooker Jedi Knight

star 2
    Anyone ever notice how when the Canucks win they play the theme from the medal ceremony at the end of ANH? Just goes to show how deeply entrenched Star Wars is in our popular culture.
  7. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Yeah, I love that they play it though!
  8. Qui Gon Moon Force Ghost

star 5
  9. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Yeah, what a foolish thing to do. Sure wish it could be undone.
  10. cooker Jedi Knight

star 2
    Anyone think Burke's flurry of activity at the deadline might have been in part motivated by the fact that we may lose Bert to suspension for some time?
  11. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    You guys hurt one of my team members... :(

I had respect for you all...now...GONE! :_|

Just teasin'... 8-}
  12. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    On behalf of Bertie, sorry Strid! :(

I hope Moore will be okay, does anyone know how he's doing?
  13. In_Luv_wit_kenobi Jedi Knight

star 1
    still in hospital. And S_S you don't have to apologise on his behalf. he already did so yesterday right before the game. Poor guy had a hard time keeping himself together while doing so.
  14. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    In_Luv_wit_kenobi: "still in hospital. And S_S you don't have to apologise on his behalf. he already did so yesterday right before the game. Poor guy had a hard time keeping himself together while doing so."

Oh, I know...poor guy. That was just horrible to watch, if he did not break his neck, then the other members did, when they all jumped up on him as they did... :(
  15. lord-darkhelmet Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, the Canuckleheads are starting to get used to life without Bertuzzi. After a tie versus Minnesota a couple of days back, they came back tonight after being down 3-1 in Edmonton and won 4-3 in OT. Two of the newest Canucks, Martin Rucinsky and Geoff Sanderson, scored in the victory with Sanderson getting the OT winner. Obviously going into the playoffs without one of the league's top players is not a good thing, but maybe they can turn it into a motivating factor. They'll be going into the playoffs as an underdog rather than a favourite. Everyone's expecting them to lose but they've still got a pretty decent team. Probably wishful thinking on my part, but hey I'm a Canuck fan I can always hope.
  16. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm most assured that they'll do great. It'll just take some time to get used to that opening left by the past incidents of last week... [fcae_sad]

I personally have not been keeping too well to the news of Hockey as I had prior, so whatever you all know is what I now know ;) :D . So share information already! [face_laugh]
  17. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I heard Moore was moved to a hospital in Colorado.
  18. cooker Jedi Knight

star 2
    It's do or die tonight for Game 6 versus Calgary.

Will we live to fight another day? Or will I spend the next week sulking when I should be studying for exams?
  19. cooker Jedi Knight

star 2
    Heading into triple OT.

Do, boys. Do.
  20. cooker Jedi Knight

star 2
  21. TIEPilot051999 Force Ghost

star 7
  22. lifeday Jedi Knight

The Flems are going down.
  23. Fixer808 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Now THAT was a lucky break... blowing a four goal lead and pulling out a win in TRIPLE overtime! Now if they'd given it the same intensity in the 2nd period as they did in 2nd OT, they might not have had a 100 minute game!
  24. TIEPilot051999 Force Ghost

star 7
    If you live near or in Vancouver, find a safe place to hide. The place is gonna go nuts.

We blew it. Again.

BAH!
  25. finster_the_hutt Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sorry Canucks fans, but Calgary deserved it. Finally all those Canucks flag will be taken down from cars and houses.
    Yeah, I expect to get haggared for saying that, but hey, gotta love free speech!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.