main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Vet

Discussion in 'Archive: Philadelphia, PA' started by SithLord1968, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLord1968

SithLord1968 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2000
    anybody going down to see the implosion of the Vet in person? I understand the police are going to secure the area, but I'm sure some resourceful folks can get a decent view.

2. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    "Veterans Stadium is History"
    www.NBC10.com has video of the implosion from several angles on their web site.
    Have fun.

3. SithLord1968

Dec 8, 2000
    I was down there, at Southern High's field at 12th and Bigler.... surreal scene watching the columns tumble one-by-one.... I took some pics and I'll provide the link to the photo site once I have them loaded up.

4. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I taped it. Because of the way they planned the implosion it seemed to fall in slow motion. Pretty neat.

5. SithLord1968

Dec 8, 2000
    here's the link to my pictures of the blast:
    http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4198384&a=31159194&f=

6. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Nice pictures. I like the close ups of the aftermath. The sky looks pretty that day too.

7. SithLord1968

Dec 8, 2000
    Thanks. It was quite a peaceful, crisp early spring morning that day. Perfect day to send off "our" Colosseum.

8. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Thank goodness that place is gone, even for all the memories I have there, it was a dump.

9. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Does anyone know if they are going to have public tours of the new baseball park like they did for the Linc? I went to that one and it was fun. Course they might not get this one ready in time.

10. SithLord1968

Dec 8, 2000
    There are currently no plans by the Phillies to hold an open house to the general public. It is still a live construction site with workers buzzing around there 24/7 nowadays.

11. RebelGhirl

RebelGhirl Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2004
    when is the new stadium supposed to be finished? maybe they'll do tours after the grand opening?

12. Skidder

Skidder Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2000
    games are still going to be played. most of the stuff to be finished is superficial like some of the facade and stuff

13. SithLord1968

Dec 8, 2000
    The first games are being played this weekend.
    I'm pretty sure the Phillies are going to offer guided tours on days that there isn't a game, but they are usually by appointment/reservation and cost a few bucks.
    The entire "Ashburn Alley" area of the BallPark is going to be under construction until May.
    I am going to the game on April 17th. I'll report back how things look, and maybe I'll take some digi-pics.

The Eagles had two "Open Houses" when they opened The Linc. One was on a Saturday in July for season ticket holders (like me!), and the following Sunday was for anyone and everyone, free of charge.

14. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Now I really wish I visited the Vet when I was in Philly last year. I always get so excited when I travel and just pass by ballparks that I have never seen before. I do not get to travel much but it was great seeing Camden Yards and Turner field and even the park that the Columbus Clippers play in. Maybe one day I will make it down to Philly just to see a game. As long as they are not playing the Mets.

Unfortunately I have never been to a ballpark other than Yankee Stadium and Shea. Someday that will change.

15. Skidder

Skidder Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2000
    Not a Pirates fan, but PNC Park is one awesome stadium. The outside is ugly is sin, but inside is awesome. They even have an Outback Steakhouse in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.