main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Video Game Draft Version 2.0 Beta

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthIntegral, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    And then it's teams.

2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    No, we have ten matches this time.

3. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Teams is still probable, looking at who is left

Pong Conference All-Stars (4) vs. Space Invaders Conference All-Stars (4)

leaving us with 1 and 3, which are:

Ratchet (Ratchet and Clank) vs. Vergil (Devil May Cry)

and

Dante (Devil May Cry) vs. Onaga (Mortal Kombat)

5. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    well don't that just beat all?

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    One more rule change to ponder:

Should we expand team sizes? Maybe up to 12 characters per team? The list is certainly large enough to handle it.

7. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    I don't think you'd want the benched fighters to be greater than 2, but having a total of 12 (10 single matches plus 2 bench warmers) sounds fine.

8. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    I'm game for it.

Oh, and Vergil wins and then Dante wins.

9. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Really, this should've been Dante v Vergil and Ratchet v Onaga. At least it would be more interesting then.

10. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Even if you change them up it's not really all that interesting, as in both have clear winners. One is still a blow out but at least the Dante Vergil match would be cool to see.

Just a thought but would an All-Star team battle take cohesion into account?

I think that it would be a cool idea to expand the size of teams, because yeah the list could certainly handle it. Not to mention it would be cool to put more pressure on the judges for team battles and such, be more of a toss up with more back field. It would also give it a little more depth for normal battles, that is if you are talking about keeping the bench per round at two and having 10 individuals fight. I am assuming that that is what you want or are thinking about, right Inty?

11. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Well, it wouldn't have been that great. The Dante/Vergil match, I mean. If we're talking both of them in DMC3, then yeah, it's once again pretty epic. But that's where Vergil's prime ends, and Dante was already a skotch better at that point. Meanwhile, Dante has all the experience and growth in power from his later adventures in DMC1 & 2. That gives him a significant boost, IMO. He's less show-off-y and much more mature, and while that's less entertaining from a game standpoint, it's a benefit as far as his actual performance goes.

In fact, I read in an interview with the developer of DMC4 that DMC2 takes place a very, very long time after DMC4. The timeline goes: 3, 1, 4, 2. He didn't specify exactly how long that was, but he made it sound like it was a pretty huge gap. Like at least decades. So that's a lot of experience he has on his bro.

Sure, Vergil was technically in DMC1 as Nelo Angelo, and he may actually be a bit more powerful there than how we see him at the end of 3, but speaking for myself, I'd never, ever consider that his prime, seeing how he was a complete and total puppet of Mundus.

But rumor has it that we'll see Verg in some form or another in DMC4, so we'll see what happens there. In the meantime, Dante's pretty clearly > Vergil, IMO.

EDIT: Yeah, gotta take cohesion into account, even though both sqauds are going to be pretty horrible. ;)

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    One other option to use more characters from the list is to expand the number of GMs.

I don't know that this game could support a full-blown expansion, but I could easily see it supporting, say, 18 GMs, instead of 16.

18 GMs at 12 characters would be 216 characters drafted, as opposed to the 160 we saw this time. Could see a lot more dynamics, some more risks taken, and some more cool trumps. That would be a moderator decision, not one I would make on my own.

With or without expanding the GM pool, I'd still be all about an 8/12 or a 10/12 set-up for next time.

13. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Also, it would do more to making the now overflowing PL situation a little less... bad. Counting all the new entries, that'd be a whole lot of PL picks left standing out in the rain with only 16 GMs.

Speaking of the new PL picks, just to let you guys know ahead of time, I'm not at all familiar with most of the new entries. Namely the La Pucelle Tactics and Fire Emblems cats. Did a little bit of looking here and there, watch a couple you tube vids where I could find them. Truthfully, I didn't see anything there that impressed me all that much. But, I'm sure I'm not getting the whole picture off a couple vids, and if they're on there, I'll trust there's good reason for it. Just letting you guys know ahead of time that, if you pick any of those, you have some work to do building them up.

Also, booooooo @ MMORPG nonsense! Thank you.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Those two games came in via PM. If the suggesting party wants to step in and defend his games, that'd be cool.

15. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    If we went to ten character teams could we go with four PLers then?

Oh, right. To teams it is.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, we've got about 64ish characters for the Power List as it currently stands, unless my counting is really far off.

At four per, that leaves enough for 16 teams, and just about exactly. So if we want to do 4 per at 16 gms, we need to add a handful, and if we want to do four per at 18 gms, we need to add a dozen or so more to the power list.

I think I'd rather see a third prep added, rather than a fourth power list. Preps add to the strategy of the game a bit more than power list selections do, IMO. Although, if consensus is for an extra PL spot we can do that. Or we can do both.

[hl=black][color=gold][b]Pong Conference All-Stars (5)[/b][/color][/hl][b] vs. [/b][color=silver][hl=purple][b]Space Invaders Conference All-Stars (5)[/b][/hl][/color]

[hl=black][color=gold][b][i] Grahf (Xenogears), Dante (Devil May Cry), Sephiroth (FF VII), Link (Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask), Shion Uzuki (Xenosaga), Megaman X (Megaman X), Zero (Megaman X), Ratchet (Ratchet and Clank), Arthas (Warcraft), Sigma (Mega Man X), Sonic (Sonic Series), and Knuckles (Sonic Series)[/i][/b][/color][/hl][b] vs. [color=silver][hl=purple][i] Vergil (Devil May Cry), KOS-MOS (Xenosaga), Onaga (Mortal Kombat), Shadow (Sonic Series), Strago Magus (FF VI), Adelbert Steiner (FF IX), Vivi Orniter (FF IX), Seifer Almasy (FF VIII), Strider Hiryu (Strider), Citan Uzuki (Xenogears), Jubei Yagyu (Onimusha), and Solid Snake (Metal Gear)[/i][/hl][/color][/b]

17. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    No, extra prep works better, I think. Then you could have a prepped trump plus a stand alone prep guy.

18. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    I say both. Add one more prep and one more PL pick.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

19. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    In La Pucelle, the level cap is 9,999 the characters get extremly powerful. Giving one a prep could do wonders...

In Fire Emblem, the Black Knight and Ashnard wear armor that's been blessed by the goddess, only weapons/magic that's been blessed can hurt them. That, and they're both extremly powerful in the game. Ike has the only known weapon that can hurt them, plus awesome skills. The rest are really only in as support characters.

Evil.

20. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Slow weekend?

I can't remember the rules regarding RPG levelling and Prep. Don't think you get LVL 9999 characters with prep, especially if the standard levels in a normal game (not manipulating massive training) are only double-digit sized.

21. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Grahf (Xenogears), Dante (Devil May Cry), Sephiroth (FF VII), Link (Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask), Shion Uzuki (Xenosaga), Megaman X (Megaman X), Zero (Megaman X), Ratchet (Ratchet and Clank), Arthas (Warcraft), Sigma (Mega Man X), Sonic (Sonic Series), and Knuckles (Sonic Series)

vs. Vergil (Devil May Cry), KOS-MOS (Xenosaga), Onaga (Mortal Kombat), Shadow (Sonic Series), Strago Magus (FF VI), Adelbert Steiner (FF IX), Vivi Orniter (FF IX), Seifer Almasy (FF VIII), Strider Hiryu (Strider), Citan Uzuki (Xenogears), Jubei Yagyu (Onimusha), and Solid Snake (Metal Gear)

Wow, at first glance there is all kinds of fighting going on in Pong, but they have better power. There is less fighting going on in Space Invaders, but I think they fall slightly short of the other team's power.

Anyway, not ignoring cohesion, Pong is going to have problems right off. First X and Zero engage Sigma, then everyone else is forced to take sides. So what happens? Sephiroth or Grahf break it up, and probably end Sigma, just to get X and Zero to play along. Arthas is pretty crazy, I doubt the do gooders would have a good time with him. So nix him too. It's 8 on 10 now, and there's still trust issues. I don't think types like Link, X, and Sonic would play along. Shion probably wouldn't either. So now the bad guys have a problem. They've gotten rid of two people who could have potentially been their allies, and are now outnumbered enough by the good guys so that they cannot impose their will. What happens? Sephiroth turns on Grahf to save himself, and now it's Sephiroth, Dante, Link, Shion, X, Zero, Ratchet, Sonic, and Knuckles. All completely worn out.

Meanwhile, in Space Invaders, not really a whole lot of fighting going on. Trouble with Onaga, but not much, they'll quell him easily. Now you have a group of powerful and smart guys who outnumber the other team.

Bleh, I'm just rambling, I don't know if any of that would happen. I'll just do it power wise, then give demerits for cohesion hiccups and see who wins.

Right, looking at it, Their power advantage doesn't get them over their inferior team skills.

I vote for Space Invaders

22. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    which one is "my" team?

(the only member i liked was strago)

23. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Wow, my vote stands.

24. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Yuck. Being sick sucks. Being up at this unholy hour = teh lame. Actually thought I'd judged this already... but I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the esteemed EF on this one. Cohesion would still be a factor in an all-star battle, but kinda less so. Pong's got more sore spots, but in a battle like this, I like their superior power.

Or maybe I just want to let Marcus in on this and have him finish us off.

Winner: Pong Conference All-Stars

Now, who's up for bashing me over the head with a cast-iron skillet so that I can sleep?

25. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    There's actually no reason to even go past 600, which would be about the same as a Final Fantasy lv.99 character. 600 is obtainable in a few hours once you reach a certain point in the game.

Evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.