main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Video Game Draft Version 3.0: The Triforce of Drafts (Winner: MarcusP2)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    ****! This, and Fei Fong Wong vs Sephiroth?!

I'll do some arguing in a moment. In the meanwhile, I want to know what exactly made Arthas so respectable in this draft that he wasn't last draft.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Shurron actually, y'know, looked at what he and Thrall, etc. can do? :p

3. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Okay, my barrage on Arthas is slightly undeserved, as he did have some bad draws such as Prepped Katarn, Kratos, and Dante. But he also lost to Liquid Snake Prepped, who got hosed this draft by a Resident Evil trump...

Still preparing...

4. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Hosed? Played RE4?

5. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Yeah, and they're good, but would they be able to beat Arthas?

Eh, I'm just acting this way cause I thought Arthas lost some matches last draft that he should've been able to win (upon review, it doesn't seem so as much).

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    be wary of attempts at an A > B ... B > C ==> A > C argument. Just because Arthas lost to Snake and Snake lost to the trump, doesn't mean Arthas loses to the trump, or that we're inconsistent in judging.

7. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Anyways. chaos is no pushover here for Arthas, especially considering he's undead and chaos is holier-than-thou. He's a psychic, he's got superhuman strength, and he can teleport. In actual gamefighting he's got powerful Fire, Ice, Lightning and Beam attacks. He also has a massive amount of healing spells to keep himself fighting fit. He's got abilities to enhance his own stats and decrease Arthas', to Slow Arthas down, to reflect damage back on his opponent, and to seal his opponent's ability to use magic.

The way I see this going down is chaos keeping the battle at range with his magic and his teleportation and healing himself when needed. If his healing spells could work as damage against the undead Arthas, that would also be a great help for chaos.

8. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    He lost to Liquid this draft? I thought you meant last time. Ah well. If he did, my bad.

9. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Last draft, when I had Arthas, he lost to Liquid. This draft, Liquid lost to the RE Trump. But nevermind, I'm just annoyed that Arthas didn't nearly do as well for me as he did for Vegeta.

10. Tifa

Tifa Jedi Youngling

Mar 3, 2006
    ^^

Yeah, I saw that (in re: Arthas) for you in the last draft Kiwi... :(

Glad he worked for me. I wasn't going to choose him, but glad I did I guess..it was either him or Solidius Snake (if I remember correctly). I can't really post much, just to say I promise to have something up when I get back to my apartment this evening...

So please don't judge yet! I wanna argue some :p :)

11. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Should have posted this when I was more awake...

AND...

Everyone here seems to know a lot about Arthas and his abilities, so really...

With what I posted last round in regards to Arthas, (I believe that still stands) and that he has the benefit getting the jump on chaos before he will know what's coming. And with chaos having divine powers and whatnot, Arthas has unlimited powers (not Lich King powers, I know) given to him by wielding Frostmourne (chaos damage along with it), and can cut though any defensive armor (holier than thou included) and can deal some massive damage was well. His magic has to be superior...I mean, any one who kills someone and brings them back (just to spite them) has to have SOME power in them.

More later, but whatever comes first...

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Anything else?

13. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Yeah, well chaos also brings people back from the dead. He can even do it before they die! :p

chaos' psychic abilities and teleportation will make the initial jump from Arthas less effective, and then he can keep the distance between them with his magic and teleportation.

14. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Okay, so I guess I've decided.

Arthas and chaos seem to be fairly close in overall power, with an edge to chaos, I'd say. Of course, Arthas is prepped, so does that tip the scales? Well... not quite. Yeah, he's a great tactician, but other than some healing items and a general battle plan, Arthas doesn't seem to be a type that gains a whole helluva lot from prep. Nothing terribly specific, anyways.

Honestly, the prep would probably be more useful on someone else. Just not sure that the amount of characters that he can beat with prep is very much different than the amount he can beat without it. Either way, he can beat a lot of people.

Anyways, yeah, Arthas may have a good plan in place, but it's not like he has a whole lot to work with. It's not like he's fighting with the Scourge here and can pelt chaos with a bunch of meat wagons or send a blitz of Frost Wyrms his way. Just not sure that, prep or not, Arthas can hang with chaos over the long haul. And that's exactly what it'd be. Because with chaos' massive healing abilities, he's just a natural marathon man. He can outlast Arthas, probably throwing some offense at him here and there, and then, when Arthas has just about run out of juice, that's when he fires up the big guns. And he has the ability to keep his distance from the better melee skills of his opponent.

He just barely takes it, but he does take it.

Winner: chaos

Oh, and Samus wins.

Winner: Samus

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Hoenstly, I was leaning hard to chaos since I peeked ahead and saw this match on the horizon. I needed to be convinced that Arthas could take it, and I've seen nor heard anything to change my mind. So I go with chaos and Samus as well.

Space Invaders Conference Championship

(2) Antagonizing Protagonists (5) @ (1)Psychos with God Complexes (4)

Pong Conference Championship

(2) Beat me and get banned (6) @ (1) Back in Black (3)

Last one is 8

Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears) vs. Sephiroth (FF VII)

Terra Branford (FF VI) (forfeit) vs. Xigbar (Kingdom Hearts) (Prepared)

16. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Phew. At least its Teams. And I'm very confident that I will win in Teams (basically while they have a slightly greater offense, I have the ultimate setup in defense and support). I'm almost willing to forfeit this match to save the GMs and the Judges some grief in deciding such a close match, but Fei Fong Wong still needs some love, so when I'm a little more awake I'll have something up.

17. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Just posting this now so I don't forget about the link, it's a clip of Fei Fong Wong's Deathblows in action:

Here it is.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    This match is not dissimilar to Grahf-Kefka. Blah blah blah about strengths of each and the such, but in the end it probably comes down to personal preference, and I'd say Sephiroth is, IMO, just a bit better. So I give Sephiroth the win.

19. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    I was actually going to say that it was similar to Grahf-Kefka, except that Sephiroth was better in melee than Kefka.

Haven't really got anything more to say. You know Fei Fong Wong's feats and skills, you know Sephiroth's feats and skills. To me they seem fairly equal, except that Sephiroth has shown that he can throw away victory while taunting, and Fei's a winner in his game while Sephiroth is a loser in his. :p

20. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I actually know nothing of Fei's feats. I don't remember anyone mentioning them either. I know virtually nothing on Grahf either, except for a list of his abilities, and I think the fact that he's battled the massive gears by himself. I pretty much chose him on reputation alone.

21. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Yep.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Space Invaders Conference Championship

(2) Antagonizing Protagonists (5) @ (1)Psychos with God Complexes (5)

Pong Conference Championship

(2) Beat me and get banned (6) @ (1) Back in Black (4)

One helluva team battle to decide the final spot in the championship

Antagonizing Protagonists vs. Psychos with God Complexes

Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears), chaos (xenosaga), Shion Uzuki (Xenosaga), JC Denton (Deus Ex), Strago Magus (FF VI), Adelbert Steiner (FF IX), Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series I & II), Riou (Suikoden II), Lady (Devil May Cry), Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II), Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time), Chris Redfield (Suikoden) vs. Sephiroth (FF VII), Xemnas (Kingdom Hearts), Meta-Ridley (Metroid Prime), Oda Nobunaga (Onimusha), Arthas [Death Knight] (Warcraft), Jack Krauser (Resident Evil), Shang Tsung (Mortal Kombat), Nevan (Devil May Cry), Quan Chi (Mortal Kombat), Psycho Mantis (Metal Gear), Nemesis (Resident Evil), The Phantom (Devil May Cry)

23. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Antagonizing Protagonists vs. Psychos with God Complexes

Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears), chaos (xenosaga), Shion Uzuki (Xenosaga), JC Denton (Deus Ex), Strago Magus (FF VI), Adelbert Steiner (FF IX), Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series I & II), Riou (Suikoden II), Lady (Devil May Cry), Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II), Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time), Chris Redfield (Suikoden) vs. Sephiroth (FF VII), Xemnas (Kingdom Hearts), Meta-Ridley (Metroid Prime), Oda Nobunaga (Onimusha), Arthas [Death Knight] (Warcraft), Jack Krauser (Resident Evil), Shang Tsung (Mortal Kombat), Nevan (Devil May Cry), Quan Chi (Mortal Kombat), Psycho Mantis (Metal Gear), Nemesis (Resident Evil), The Phantom (Devil May Cry)

Yowie. Well, let's start with the individual breakdown:

Fei Fong Wong =< Sephiroth
    chaos < Xemnas
    Shion Uzuki > Meta-Ridley
    JC Denton < Oda Nobunaga
    Strago Magus >= Arthas
    Tir McDohl > Jack Krauser
    Adelbert Steiner > Shang Tsung
    Riou > Nevan
    Lady > Quan Chi
    Jowy Atreides > Psycho Mantis
    Chris Redfield > Nemesis
    Princess Zelda < The Phantom

Eh, I'm crap at evaluating these. But anyway, as far as I can tell, while Psychos has a better top line up, my mid and back fields are better. But then, we've already been through the individual rounds, so let's looking at the teams:

Cohesion: Obviously the Protagonists are very cohesive, with the Xeno-people, the Suikoden gang, and the others will sync up well. And over on Psychos... well, nothing specific beyond the Deadly Alliance. While there's nothing completely horrible with the cohesion, it's definitely a team to watch your back on. Arthas, Krauser, and Shang Tsung have betrayed their masters, and the DA broke up once their goals were accomplished and attacked each other. And Phantom and Nemesis are fairly wild and nearly uncontrollable. While Sephiroth and Xemnas can keep the team in order, there will be distrust among the team. So obviously, the Protagonists have the better cohesion.

Offense: Well, there's nothing lacking with the good guys. Fei Fong Wong and chaos are beasts, Shion has the Erde Kaiser, Strago has massive magic, and the Suiko guys have two True Runes between them. But Sephiroth and Xemnas are even beastlier, Nobunaga and Arthas are top of the line, as well as Meta-Ridley. Offense by a couple of margins to Psychos.

Defense: And... yeah, what is there on the Psychos team for defense and support? Arthas can enhance his guys and... anything else? Of course, Sephiroth can do healing and defensive barriers and other stuff, but can the Psychos team afford Sephiroth stepping back and healing/boosting someone if he wanted to? I doubt it. Meanwhile, the Protagonists are well supported. The Suiko guys have access to healing/boosting magic, Strago is terrific with this stuff, and Zelda and Shion can also contribute to healing and defending. And if necessary, chaos can step in and do his massive heals. Defense all the way to Protagonists.

Extenuating Circumstances: Mostly impersonal. There is Nemesis who will immediately go after Chris ("S.T.A.R.S.!!!!!"), and Krauser wouldn't mind getting rid of Chris for Wesker, and the feelings mutual for Chris. And Lady will have her blood riled up with Phantom and Nevan out there. But except perhaps for Nemesis, they can be controlled by their leaders.

So yeah, very close, with Fei and Sephy needing to take each other on again if they don't want whole teams obliterated, and the rest of the teams will be slugging away at each other. It will end up being a war of attrition, and thanks to the Protagonists massive healing and defense, they can bounce back after a slug and then return with one of their own that won't so easily be healed. And once the Psychos are wittled down enough, some of the other Protagonists can help out Fei and eventually take down Sephiroth.

24. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Finally got internet again and figures. First off...

Fei Fong Wong =< Sephiroth
    chaos < Xemnas
    Shion Uzuki > Meta-Ridley
    JC Denton < Oda Nobunaga
    Strago Magus >= Arthas
    Tir McDohl > Jack Krauser
    Adelbert Steiner > Shang Tsung
    Riou > Nevan
    Lady > Quan Chi
    Jowy Atreides > Psycho Mantis
    Chris Redfield > Nemesis
    Princess Zelda < The Phantom

I am not good at this whole so and so is better thing...But if this were a real deal, while perhaps Sephiroth vs Fei and Xemnas vs. Chaos will occur, I think that the 4 picks of each team are not going to solely focus on the 4th pick of the other team. The top-tier of the Psychos is powerful enough to cause a great deal of damage to the Antagonizing Protagonist. The lower part is not as uber as the top part but is still a very solid, powerful group of individuals who will still be a great asset to the team. And since they are now prepared, I expect more out of the MKers, Shang Tsung and Quan Chi for one. They won't be total push overs seeing as they have had the time to get ready for this battle. Phantom and Nevan may gain a little from prep, but the only thing they will know is Lady is on the opposing team, watch out for the magical ones, take them out ASAP and so on. I really like that Psycho Mantis is prepared as well. As for Arthas vs. Magus, even if they are both excellent magic users, what Arthas has over Magus is melee skills, IIRC (from my play though of FFVI). So that should be enough to make things look better for Psychos.

Yeah, cohesion isn't as good as your team perhaps, but villian squads don't get that luxury much and... ( also in defense of what you stated later down the line), the top section of the team are the leaders and they are going to make the point clear that they are in control and their is a job that needs to be done. There is no one who is going to be back stabbing each other while the match is going on. You gave the example of the MK crew. Well, "once their goal was accomplished, they broke up". What is expected is that they have to fight to win, and everyone is smart enough to know taking out your teammates during a fight would not be a good idea. I am not worried about inner group issues occurring during the team battle. The issue at hand is the fight taking place in front of them.

Also, Phantom and Nemesis uncontrollable? The job they need to do is just attack, but a prepared Psycho Mantis should be able to help out in that respect and having prior knowledge about the your team, he should be able to do some handy mind-control work.

Don't forget the summons that Sephiroth can bring. In fact, can Sephiroth cast Dean or do Supernova on the opposing team? Is that allowed? If so, then confusion, bio, darkness, whatever status aliments that it brings can really throw AP for a loop.

25. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Eh, still not impressed with the MKers. What do they get with prep? And yeah, Strago's spells >>>> than Arthas' spells, especially when Strago hits Arhas with a Pearl.

Yes, I conceded the point about infighting not really happening, but it should still be noted that it doesn't mean they all get along. And Mantis mind controlling Phantom and Nemesis? One has a demonic mind, the other barely has one. I can see him doing it, but if he needs to do so, that distracts from the actual fight at hand. Hence it's a disadvantage.

If Sephiroth has time to use Super Nova (and he probably hasn't) that would leave Fei to open up some Big Bang Shot whoopass on the other members of Psychos as well. Probably not a good idea for either of our teams.

Remember, nearly every single magic my guys have access to is multi-hitting. For example, Tir could use Final Flame to enflict a lot of damage to all the opponents, and then Jowy coul use Kindness Rain to heal everyone for an amount of damage. Of course, then there's Riou, whose ultimate healing spell massively heals everyone and nukes an enemy for massive damage. And at the start of the battle, two of Strago's first spells will be Haste2 and Mighty Guard, speeding up his team and protecting them for physical and magical harm. If Slow2 works successfully later, even better. Don't exactly get what you're saying about Sephiroth here, you think there will be a pause enough in the fight for this? It doesn't really matter, he's still only one man casting healing spells compared to the 6 or so on my team, not including the ones who can take care of themselves.

I don't exactly see chaos and Xemnas getting caught up in a one-on-one fight BTW. They aren't exactly team destroyers who need to do so. Tir, Riou and Jowy aren't lacking in the melee aspect, in fact they are well experienced in one-on-one fighting duels. And you can't really say that Shion's problem with focusing on Ridley (if she needs to personally. Flares and Judgements can strike him hard too) with Arthas and Nobunaga behind her, because behind THEM is Tir and Riou about to smite them with Judgement and Forgiver Sign.

Here's what I see it coming down to: Nemesis can be defeated very quickly with a couple of rockets from Chris, especially if he has help from someone like Zelda helping him (to freeze him in place). After that Chris can aid Lady against the demons, and from then on, with the support of various boosts, the Psychos' numbers dwindle and they become outnumbered, and around this point a lot of them will be tired, while the Protagonists will remain fresh due to all the healing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.