main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Video Game Draft Version 3.0: The Triforce of Drafts (Winner: MarcusP2)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    EDIT: I see the problem. I forgot that I edited a part of the first sentence out. I will state something about the whole A > B argument later.

Shion isn't going to have the luxury of taking pot-shots at Ridley all day. Maybe for a one on one, but not a team battle. She will/is going to be distracted with all that is going around her to focus solely on Ridley. That was what I was trying to get at earlier.

As to the MKers, I would expect them to use the prior knowledge about their opponents to not underestimate them and get whomped on. When I wrote Xem vs. chaos, it was meant to be an example "if" they did so. That is what I meant...just going by your A > B chart thing you wrote up. Fights aren't that clear cut unfortunately. But I never expected any of them to that, like I thought I wrote in the previous post.

And in regards to Mantis, "if" it has to come to that. I never thought he needed to...I was just going by some of the things you posted earlier about your opinion that they would be hard to handle. He is a way to control them, but before I read your last post, I didn't think that PM would be focusing on that. He would be manipulating others as his power-usage should/will be focused on the opposite team.

Lastly, in re: to Sephiroth, I am saying that even with fighting with Fei, Sephiroth will not be winded. I have no clue, but (and pardon me for saying)I see Cloud as just as good as Fei or better. I am biased (only played FF), I guess and that is why I stated/thought this. But like I said, never played a game with Fei. Sephiroth will beat Fei eventually, but not so late that then supposedly the rest AP can lay the beat down on Sephiroth.

Yeah. I was wondering about "big" attacks but it would only hit opponents, not Sephiroth's team as well. Fei can do what he wants, but that doesn't mean that Sephiroth will adhere to the same thing. But still, the way you are writing it makes it seem like Sephiroth will be so preoccupied in his fight with Fei to actually do anything but fight him. Dean shouldn't be much of a problem casting and it isn't a "big attack" like Super Nova. Just to cause confusion to the group, IIRC. I mean, if Strago can get a shot off with haste 2 and whatever else like you stated he would, then so can Sephiroth, being much quicker.

And if the argument for this is, Fei will quickly engage Sephiroth causing him not to have enough time to do anything, then I can say Xemnas will teleport behind and take out Strago just like that, then fight whomever he chooses. I don't think Strago is that fast seeing, as it will "take him some time" to cast his magic.

If it is obvious to you (Protagonist), then it will be obvious to Psychos as well: take out the greatest threat which would be your healers. It would be best for my team to do that and also make sure the others like Chris and Zelda are taken care of promptly. That much should be obvious and Psychos with their superior attack power is very much capable of pulling it off.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm not looking forward to judging this one. It's way too close. I will promise you this though: I will wait until you've said your piece, and I will give it a proper judgment. I will not simply give an agree/disagree statement to this match. too good, too close, too meaningful.

3. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    Hoo boy. Don't have too much more to say, so you judges can get on to judging (and then we can argue with you instead of each other).

Taking out a group of healers isn't as easy as you propose, especially when the healing's multi-character. They can cover each other's bases while others do damage. Two spells from Suikoden hurt as well as heal at the same time.

4. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Well, if no one has anything to say right now, I'll talk up my guys a little bit more:

Fei Fong Wong: Destroys giant mechs with his BARE HANDS. And that's not even the end game, full experience version. Massive Deathblows, powerful Chi abilities. Can heal himself.

chaos: Beams of death from the sky, powerful Fire, Ice, Lightning Ether attacks. Massive healing abilities, including Beloved Gospel, which gives everyone on his team Auto-Life.

Shion Uzuki: Absolutely brilliant mind, good Ether attacks and Deathblows. Has a Dual Beam Double Tech attack with chaos that's also very powerful. Has some good healing too, and let's not forget can summon the huge Erde Kaiser.

JC Denton: Tactically brilliant fighter/assassin with any gun. Nanotechnology upgrades in his whole body, granting him extra strength, speed, endurance, regenerative capabilities, invisibility. Teamed with Shion, a genius in nanotechnology a few thousand years more advance than JC, his systems are far greater than they have ever been.

Strago Magus: Mighty powerful magician, not only with the regular set of spells, but with his own set gained from his enemies. GrandTrain, Ultima, Flare and Pearl dish out the damage, SourBreath and Slow2 disorientates the enemy, and Haste2, MightyGuard and Cure3 helps out the team.

CAPTAIN Adelbert Steiner: Very strong warrior with his own skills, such as Shock and Climhazzard, that only gets stronger when he starts off Tranced, and will gain it back as he keeps taking hits. With Strago on the team, has access to his SwordMagic, granting him such spells as Fire/Ice/Lightning3 and Flare. He can also be equipped with a variety of abilites such as Auto Protect/Haste/Regen, and Cover, Eye 4 Eye and Counter to ensure he protects his weaker teammates, counters back hard and gets Tranced more quickly.

That will do for now, will do the rest later.

5. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Hope you weren't waiting on this...

Suikoden Trio: These guys are easier to describe in one group, as their prep affects them the same. Tir bears the Rune of Life and Death, otherwise known as the Soul Eater. As a True Rune it is immensely powerful, with many powerful spells offering. And if any of those Tir holds dear perish during this battle, the Soul Eater will consume their essence and increase its power. Riou and Jowy bear the two halfs of the Rune of Beginning, the former with the Bright Shield Rune, the later with the Black Sword Rune. They are said to have the power to "judge war". Riou has incredible healing abilities as well as Light-elemental attacks, while Jowy has brutal Shadow-based attacks. This is not all, however, as with Prep they gain access to a wide variety of "lesser" runes. The Blue Gate Rune in particular is a powerful summoning rune, Flowing Rune can resist magic and heal, Thunder and Rage Runes are powerful elemental attacks, and the Cyclone Rune has a mixture of healing and hurting powers.

Lady: She has mad agility skills. Along with her firearms prowess, grenades and the Kalina Ann, she's a one woman army and she's quite determined to get rid of those Psychotic demons. And I don't think it would be too far to say that she could bring along a few Holy Waters with the preperation she has, which will cause quite the damage to those demons, along with some Vital Stars to heal herself with.

Princess Zelda: As either herself or Sheik, she's very handy, with her ninja-like skills as Sheik, and with protective magic and psychic abilities, in particular allowing her to freeze opponents in place.

Chris Redfield: A terrific survivor, he'll be coming ready this time though, with grenades, powerful guns, and a rocket launcher. He's well experienced in taking out freaks like Nemesis, and he'll be able to take care of himself with First Aid Sprays.

And... that's all I have to say. I think.

::tries to wait patiently, passes the time trying to beat the FFX Chocobo side quest::

6. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000
    Actually Kiwi...I was waiting :p

But it is late (here) and I will have something up later tomorrow morning hopefully (for me...but I don't know how long the wait will go for this so...)

I did write half of it out, but homework came first.

EDIT 2:

I would like to add this:

Sephiroth..and...a prepped Sephiroth should be bringing much to the field. If your people can take stuff in battle, then he can bring Mega-Potions, Mega-Phoenix, Ether, other status items, summons and so on. I think this one guy being ready for you to fight him is scary enough. On another note, sort of, if their was a SOLDIER level character on your team, I would say Fei and chaos could hang. But other than that, nah. Oh. Quake could cause some damage as well...

Also, The Phantom will be very hard to deal with being a great lava spider and without the right tools, he can't be taken down easily. There is also Nevan who has a black hole HP sucking ability along with the electrical shock waves she sends out. Both of them will be hard to avoid. Psycho Mantis is the biggest help to the team battle. He also has psychic abilities and can control weak and strong minds a like. People like Chris will be easy to control and what about Lady? There should be so much confusion/chaos going on that someone in the team will be easy to manipulate. His ability to camouflage can also help him do his work easily with out being detected so much. I expect much from him.

Now Shang Tsung and Quan Chi. Not much love for them here, but IIRC, these two never were prepped. I always thought that if they had the chance the be prepped, like they are now, they would perform better. I suppose the general argument is that "even normal people beat them" or whatever. At those times, they had no clue what they were dealing with. Now they do and I expect much more out of them.

Therefore, why couldn't Shang Tsung's morphing move (unless stated otherwise in an earlier draft) cause someone to second guess a strike before getting stabbed in the back *not nice but they are villains* by another one of Psychos or even Quan Chi? If he has to have prior knowledge of his foe before hand to execute it, will he has it. The Flaming Skull Eruption...fire coming out of the ground at random is bound to trip someone up. His other attacks will come in handy as well. Quan Chi's one move, the weapon steal, will come in handy as well.

Jack Krauser has been getting in matches against others who were more powerful than him as of late. But if he sticks w/ PM and aims at Chris, he should be fine. Maybe shoot Zelda while he's at it...

Arthas, Meta-Ridley, Nobunaga and Xemnas will be doing the majority of the heavy hitting along side Sephy, but more will come tomorrow (yea...) as well as any other thoughts.

7. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    About that Chocobo game, latest results: 36.2, 12 balloons, no birds... = .2 seconds... ****!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: w00t! 36.1, 17 balloons, 1 bird = -0.XX seconds!!!! :D :D :p :p :) :)

Oh, if you want to get into using items from FF, then Steiner can chuck a few Dark Matters and Strago can use a few Magicites :p :)

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Damn you. I gave up when I got a result of 0.1 second.

9. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000

Did you get the Tidus's ultimate weapon as well? Is that the same mini game? I forgot I took it out of the message last night.

Meh, bring it on if you want to do that! :p ;)
    If the Mega-Potions are there, then whatever. If it takes that (usage of it), it will take awhile to get the team there anyway. But hope their aim is good enough not to hit another person on their team...

10. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Haha, I spent ages on those races in FFX. Loved them. That 0 sec time was horribly frustrating. Got it in the end though.

Great arguments btw guys.

11. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Heh, I forgot to get Tidus' crest at Yunalesca's before leaving their the first time, and of course I have the International version, so Dark Bahamut was waiting for me. :( I couldn't be bothered waiting, so I Grand Summoned Yojimbo, paid all of my Gil, and prayed for Zanmato. Thankfully it worked on the 5th try.

12. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Yeah... I have absolutely NO idea what that means. But for the record, it makes me want to vote against you.

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm ready.

Antagonizing Protagonists vs. Psychos with God Complexes

Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears), chaos (xenosaga), Shion Uzuki (Xenosaga), JC Denton (Deus Ex), Strago Magus (FF VI), Adelbert Steiner (FF IX), Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series I & II), Riou (Suikoden II), Lady (Devil May Cry), Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II), Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time), Chris Redfield (Suikoden) vs. Sephiroth (FF VII), Xemnas (Kingdom Hearts), Meta-Ridley (Metroid Prime), Oda Nobunaga (Onimusha), Arthas [Death Knight] (Warcraft), Jack Krauser (Resident Evil), Shang Tsung (Mortal Kombat), Nevan (Devil May Cry), Quan Chi (Mortal Kombat), Psycho Mantis (Metal Gear), Nemesis (Resident Evil), The Phantom (Devil May Cry)

The top of this is very close. Sephiroth is a small, small bit better than Fei Fong Wong, and Xemnas is a hair better than chaos. Eventually, we're going to see these four pair off in the match. The Protagonists are going to go for it, knowing it's their best chance to win, and eventually they'll get it. What likely happens first is the top two on each team knock off a good bit of the backfield of the opposing team, which will be playing the part of sacrificial lamb. And once that happens, it becomes a race to see what team can get support to their big guns first.

Which means we need to look at the upper backfield for both teams, and I think this is where the winning team starts to pull away. Meta-Ridley is going to terrorize a good bit, but with powerful opponents prepared for him, he can go down hard, and relatively fast. That gives the AP a three-on-two advantage for this chunk that I'm looking at. Namely, Shion, Strago, and Denton against Oda and Arthas. Denton is the weakest of the three, and he probably goes out quickest, but the two top dogs here, with prep time, are Shion and Strago. And Strago is especially dangerous with his Blue Magic/Lore ability and the other magic users on his team. I have no doubt he'll add a few spells to his arsenal. And I see no reason to believe they couldn't defeat Arthas and Oda a lot faster than Xemnas and Sephiroth can defeat Fei and chaos. And, they'd probably have the opportunity to clean up any backfield that was left for them to.

So, I see the end of the battle shaping up thusly:

Xemnas and Sephiroth realize they need to do something drastic, so they focus on Fei Fong Wong and go all out on him, eliminating him from the battle. They turn their attention then to chaos, but he's taken the breather to catch his breath, realizing he wouldn't be able to save Fei Fong Wong. He's back closer to full strength, and he's joined by a recharged Shion Uzuki and Strago Magus. It's a three-on-two affair for the heroes, but the villains have a power edge. What they don't have, however, is a stamina advantage, and their going to need to attack all out for at least a bit to get numbers to even before they can think about defense and healing. But, the problem they face is that if they attack two of the heroes, a third is available to either attack them, or keep healing those other two, leading to a circular battle from the villains point of view. They get desperate, and desperation creates mistakes. They hit a few big attacks and kill Strago, but not before he can get off a big spell he's recently learned, giving an opening for Uzuki to finish off Xemnas. That leaves an Uzuki/chaos trump operating at about 65% to take on Sephiroth at about 40%. And even on an even ground, I don't see Sephiroth taking that. He might take one of them with him, but in the end, the last one standing will be from the team I consider the winner:

Antagonizing Protagonsists

14. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    :_| Fei Fong Wong! :_| At least your sacrifice was not in vain...

Very nice description, Inty. :)

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm gonna go ahead and throw this out there now: if you're interested in being the commish of the next Video Game draft, let me know. Send me a PM so we can talk about it. I'm a little burnt out on commishing this draft after doing 2.5 of them, and I'd like to hand the reigns off and play it at least once.

16. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Why does Shadow always do this to us? It's really getting a tad out of hand.

17. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Your mom's getting a tad out of hand, Zizz.

So, lesse here... this match, this match... [face_thinking] Nope. I'm not ready to judge. Need more time.

Or... well, okay, fine! If you're gonna rush my decision, then! Harumph!

Just addressing a few points here first off.

Fei vs. Seph is pretty damn close normally, but in teams, with prep, Speh just has more ways to improve himself and kinda pulls away. It's still close, but not that close.

Neither is chaos vs. Xemnas that close. Power-wise, they're extremely tight, but then skill and (and this is the key) speed definitely go to Xem. Psychos have the better top two, no doubt in my mind.

I noticed Phantom was kinda getting passed off as a mindless, rampaging creature there. And he isn't. He's certainly... brusque, but not at all something that's incapable of working on a team. He was Mundus' pet poodle, afterall. Same with Nevan.

Also, there are no real team issues with the Psychos. There's a dominating leader at the top, and there's really no one there that isn't going to know their place.

And you might be thinking that I'm voting for the Psychos based on all that, right? Eh... nah. It's extraordinarily close, no doubt. I do think that, in terms of overall power, especially at the top, the Psychos are superior. And they are a decent enough unit. Problem is, AP is a better unit, and they have a bunch of what the Psychos lack, which is support and healing. And over the long haul, they should be able to use that superior teamwork and support to just outlast their opponents.

IMO, in order for a team with very little/no healing to beat a team that's heavy on the stuff, they just have to be dominating in power and skill and overall offense. And while I think the Psychos are better here, they're certainly not dominating this squad. And so a squeaker of a victory goes to...

Winner: Antagonizing Protagonists

18. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000
    Yeah. I remember what you wrote about the "no real healer" issue and how that may pose a problem in the long run...they need to make some more villians that are healers to boot :p

Good show Kiwi! You've drafted an excellent team and I also know you been at this VG draft for awhile. So I wish you much luck in the final round! :)

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And so both top seeds go down, and BaSSiL falls to 0-2 in VGD Conference finals. How embarrassing. How embarrassing.

Space Invaders Conference Championship

(2) Antagonizing Protagonists (5) d. (1)Psychos with God Complexes (5)

Pong Conference Championship

(2) Beat me and get banned (6) d. (1) Back in Black (4)

And that sets us up for the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

Beat me and get banned vs. Antagonizing Protagonists

Let's see those numbers boys.

20. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Phew. That's a relief. :p :) Thanks JediVegeta, you've done really well, much better than I did the last draft with half of these characters. :p

21. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I have no idea who I think will win. I'm leaning towards Kiwi, but then again, I thought both Bassil and EF would beat Marcus, so I have a feeling I'm underrating his team quite a bit.

22. KiwiRogue

Jun 4, 2005
    Numbers are in. I must say, this feels a little anti-climatic now that I've beaten the big bad Villains team. Earlier I was expecting to go against an equally big bad Villains team, but I must say you've somehow snuck through here. :p And there seems to be an interesting parallel between the two conferences...

Prepare yourself, Marcus! For if I don't beat you, I'll get banned anyways. :p

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I think Kiwi's the clear favourite here. Maybe if I had Soki instead of Sammy.

And Zizz...I thought EF and Bassil would beat me too. :p

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

Beat me and get banned (0) vs. Antagonizing Protagonists (0)

First number is three

Samanosuke Akechi (Onimusha) vs. Strago Magus (FF VI) (Prepared)

25. -BaSSiL-

-BaSSiL- Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2007
    Eh, I'll be the first to say that while they were awesome, getting the Smoke/Noob trump was a mistake. I could've gotten some people who would get me more wins with some steals and probably could've won. Shoot, I should've played Demyx again that last game.

But good game, Marcus. Your name came true. I beat you once and then was banned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.